6 Posts

Heroes of Normandie» Forums » General

Subject: play without the cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tony crunch
msg tools
mb
When I saw HoN on Kickstarter i was very pleased. The game looks really cool.

After reading the rulebook the question that raised by me was: Is it also possible to play HoN WITHOUT the action cards ?

Without the cards i think that the game will be even more strategic.
Because you can't buff a unit or gain other advantages.
Therefore unit-postioning (the right unit on the right place and time) becomes even more important.

Is this possible or must you play with the cards.
And what do you think about playing without the cards.

ps. I dont own the game nor played it

Thanks
Tonycrunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't see a problem in playing without cards. Maybe it's even more focused on tactics then in a chess-like manner, but imo you will loose a lot of "friction" which for me is an important and entertaining part of a wargame.

Because you can never be sure if your plan will work out and always being able to change your plan asap is big part of the excitement for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at least you would need to lengthen the nr of rounds of the scenario and you might encounter impossible situations.
the cards that give assault bonuses are really needed to take some tough positions.

you will certainly lose the feeling of "fog of war" and unforseen circumstances which make it more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Collett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You can play without the cards no problem, however you should be aware of the purpose for the cards is to spice up the gameplay so it is less predicatable and also help you overcome some very tough situations which you may in some circumstances without cards not be able to achieve.

Have a go and feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said it would be possible to play without the cards, but I've found them a key element in generating both the uncertainty and atmosphere of the game.

Several scenarios particularly in the D-Day expansion have important tie-ins with the cards.

I wouldn't personally consider not using them. After all the game has been designed with them as an integral part and artillery and aircraft usage is provided solely through card play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony crunch
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reactions

When i get the game i will play with the cards. If i must believe the reactions then the cards are key element and don't make the game to easy.

I think i also will play without the cards. just to see the difference.

nontheless i think i will enjoy playing HoN !

Thanks
Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.