1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Barbarossa Campaign» Forums » General

Subject: What would YOU like to see in the Second Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
Hello all,

Allow me to introduce myself, I am Kevin Fortuna, the developer working on the second edition of The Barbarossa Campaign.

In addition to upgrading the component quality, we have been working on making the game play even better; we have enlarged the map to give the player greater room for maneuver (and more panzers), worked on streamlining play, added 10 new cards (some of which have cool new effects) and much more.

Here is the question I pose to you, what would you like to see in a second edition? Is there anything about the first edition you didn't like, anything you want to change, something you think we should include? If so, please leave a comment, we are eager to get your feedback and make this second edition an even more amazing game.

Thanks for all your support and feedback,
Kevin Fortuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Off the top of my head, my main suggestion is just that a few minor/subtle rules should be clarified (e.g. explicitly define what happens when an event calls for some type of counter to be played and none are left; unclear how line/Finnish units work, do line units or Finns get placed to fill in holes up north, especially after Finns Free). (Go through the Rules forum and double-check that all the questions are covered.)

There are also a few typos in the rules. If the rulebook is remaining largely unchanged, I could try to find what I'd noticed/marked and report it to you.

Good luck! It is a great solitaire game which I often recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
We are definitely planning on clearing up and clarifying the rules. At this point in time we do not know how much the rules themselves will be changing. If you are interested in finding types we would be more than happy to include the changes in the final version.

Thanks for your input and support.

Kevin Fortuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Here are the corrections & suggestions I find in my notes:

---

rules page 1 column 2:

possible outco me
has an erroneous space & should be:
possible outcome

---

rules page 2 column 3 (Combat Chits):

"and place those few chits in the X"
change to:
"and place those 7 chits in the X"

to help the player know whether they've found all the relevant chits.

---

rules page 3 4.7
"uncommit-ted"
should be:
uncommitted

---

rules page 4 column 1 end of first paragraph:
"(an exception to the instructions in Box III)"
should say "Box II"
(since Box III is about combat units and Box II is about combat chits)

I also suggest that Box I, II & III (the boxes themselves) have the word "Box" in their titles (e.g. "Box I: Reshuffling the Cards" instead of just "I: Reshuffling the cards") to aid the reader in finding them (especially when automatically searching in rules PDF).

---

rules page 4 6.2.9
"See Box III."
Box III is not at all nearby, so it would be very helpful to add "on page 9". I remember being frustrated by that when I first read the rules.

---

rules page 8 10.2
"additional affects"
should be
"additional effects"

---

rules p14 17.2.1
There may be a forum thread about this, but the procedure needs to be rewritten; it currently makes no sense.
in step A you "select any one soviet reserve unit"
then in step B you replace a unit "with a soviet reserve unit selected at random"

---

Clarify whether a single Soviet unit can counterattack (if it attains value 3 thanks to modifiers) or whether 2 soviet units are necessary. (There is a recent rule forum thread about this ambiguity.)

---

Map: Soviet Counterattack Table:
Use more space so you can list all the modifiers in a bullet list with one modifier per line. It would be much more readable.

---

Map: Blitz table:
Next to the gray X icon is a typo "exhaused" which should be "exhausted".

---

Map: Initiative track:
"Soviet initiative" section (-9 to -6) should have a helpful reminder "+1 counterattack"

"Axis collapse" section (-14 to -10) should have a helpful reminder "+2 counterattack"

---

Map: Terrain effects:
Major city should have helpful reminder "-1 counterattack"

---

Map: lower left regular combat table:
the green X explanation says treat this result as "No Effect"
that should be "No Advance".

---

Map: improve coastline art to remove ambiguous/unclear hexsides where the coastline is on / close to a hex vertex. E.g. are 1111 and 1211 adjacent or blocked by sea? I recall some rule forum thread about this (and perhaps even about some change to the map art in the past?)
E.g. see Map precision

---

Game Turn Track:
Make the Spring and Winter effects printed with correct horizontal orientation and more clearly readable. The reminder info there is theoretically useful because it's easy to forget various seasonal effects, but it's barely readable and noticeable printed in small vertical text, so not very helpful in practice.

---

Soviet Armor Track:
space "5" should have a useful reminder note "+1 counterattack".

---

Card 11:
What if this is drawn on turn 1?
The conditions for placing the partisan marker don't apply.
And the alternative (Soviets capture 1 in the Soviet Union) is also not possible.
Simply ignore the card?

---

What if no "F" markers are available and you're told to put one by some event?

(More generally, it should be clear for all such events/effects calling to place a marker what happens if there are no such markers left.)

---

Card 21:
typo "Lilne" should be "Line"

---

Cards 23 & 25:

"Reshuffle after applying this card."
I remember feeling hesitation in my first game whether that meant "applying" the event, or also merely using the card for a special event number or capture bonus check. Maybe it would be clearer to say:
"Reshuffle after drawing this card."

---

And clarify about the Finnish vs German line units.

---

Hopefully this is useful info! Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
Wow, that is a lot of errors or ambiguities. Thank you for picking them up and documenting them so clearly, this is certainly useful info. I will definitely make these changes to the rulebook, map, tracks, and cards (at least those that still apply) in the Second edition.

Thanks again for the info. If you or anyone else can think of anything they would like to see in the Second Edition feel free to share.

Kevin Fortuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Russ,

I don't want to lose track of you... please email me at work: alanemrich@victorypointgames.com -- I want to keep your contact information so as TBC2 progresses you can be looking over our shoulder and helping out as much as you like.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex R
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Here are the corrections & suggests I find in my notes:

---

rules page 1 column 2:

possible outco me
has an erroneous space & should be:
possible outcome

---

rules page 2 column 3 (Combat Chits):

"and place those few chits in the X"
change to:
"and place those 7 chits in the X"

to help the player know whether they've found all the relevant chits.

---

rules page 3 4.7
"uncommit-ted"
should be:
uncommitted

---

rules page 4 column 1 end of first paragraph:
"(an exception to the instructions in Box III)"
should say "Box II"
(since Box III is about combat units and Box II is about combat chits)

I also suggest that Box I, II & III (the boxes themselves) have the word "Box" in their titles (e.g. "Box I: Reshuffling the Cards" instead of just "I: Reshuffling the cards") to aid the reader in finding them (especially when automatically searching in rules PDF).

---

rules page 4 6.2.9
"See Box III."
Box III is not at all nearby, so it would be very helpful to add "on page 9". I remember being frustrated by that when I first read the rules.

---

rules page 8 10.2
"additional affects"
should be
"additional effects"

---

rules p14 17.2.1
There may be a forum thread about this, but the procedure needs to be rewritten; it currently makes no sense.
in step A you "select any one soviet reserve unit"
then in step B you replace a unit "with a soviet reserve unit selected at random"

---

Clarify whether a single Soviet unit can counterattack (if it attains value 3 thanks to modifiers) or whether 2 soviet units are necessary. (There is a recent rule forum thread about this ambiguity.)

---

Map: Soviet Counterattack Table:
Use more space so you can list all the modifiers in a bullet list with one modifier per line. It would be much more readable.

---

Map: Blitz table:
Next to the gray X icon is a typo "exhaused" which should be "exhausted".

---

Map: Initiative track:
"Soviet initiative" section (-9 to -6) should have a helpful reminder "+1 counterattack"

"Axis collapse" section (-14 to -10) should have a helpful reminder "+2 counterattack"

---

Map: Terrain effects:
Major city should have helpful reminder "-1 counterattack"

---

Map: lower left regular combat table:
the green X explanation says treat this result as "No Effect"
that should be "No Advance".

---

Map: improve coastline art to remove ambiguous/unclear hexsides where the coastline is on / close to a hex vertex. E.g. are 1111 and 1211 adjacent or blocked by sea? I recall some rule forum thread about this (and perhaps even about some change to the map art in the past?)
E.g. see Map precision

---

Game Turn Track:
Make the Spring and Winter effects printed with correct horizontal orientation and more clearly readable. The reminder info there is theoretically useful because it's easy to forget various seasonal effects, but it's barely readable and noticeable printed in small vertical text, so not very helpful in practice.

---

Soviet Armor Track:
space "5" should have a useful reminder note "+1 counterattack".

---

Card 11:
What if this is drawn on turn 1?
The conditions for placing the partisan marker don't apply.
And the alternative (Soviets capture 1 in the Soviet Union) is also not possible.
Simply ignore the card?

---

What if no "F" markers are available and you're told to put one by some event?

(More generally, it should be clear for all such events/effects calling to place a marker what happens if there are no such markers left.)

---

Card 21:
typo "Lilne" should be "Line"

---

Cards 23 & 25:

I remember feeling hesitation in my first game whether that meant "applying" the event, or also merely using the card for a special event number or capture bonus check. Maybe it would be clearer to say:

---

And clarify about the Finnish vs German line units.

---

Hopefully this is useful info! Good luck.

...and one more thing to add: In the Examples of Play; remove the word "her".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
PzrLehr wrote:

FWIW I disagree with that proposal.

BTW another rule ambiguity to look at (thanks PzrLehr for the following thread) :
Housekeeping Phase:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
PzrLehr wrote:

FWIW I disagree with that proposal.

As do I. I believe that is a nod to BGG's own Judy Krauss who did quite a bit of helpful work and proofreading during development.

I've wargamed with several women in my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Italian unit is interesting thematically but really doesn't do anything.

Clearing up what happens if the Finns and German line meets would be helpful.

I don't know if this would be something that should be reworked, but having an initiative of 1-5 gets the Germans absolutely noting, however, passing the magical initiative 5/6 boundary nets the Germans a VP. It seems like almost an arbitrary point, and missing it by only one initiative point makes the difference between getting 20% of the way to victory or getting nada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know if this would be something that should be reworked, but having an initiative of 1-5 gets the Germans absolutely noting, however, passing the magical initiative 5/6 boundary nets the Germans a VP. It seems like almost an arbitrary point, and missing it by only one initiative point makes the difference between getting 20% of the way to victory or getting nada.

That feature works exactly as intended. You've got to draw the line somewhere for achieving a Victory Point, and this ain't horseshoes or hand grenades -- close doesn't count.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
The Italian unit is interesting thematically but really doesn't do anything.

The German high command must have thought exaclty the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
In all honesty I haven't really given too much thought to the examples of play yet, there have been enough changes and tweaks to the rules that they will probably need to be rewritten. What we'll probably do is make different examples use different genders, so some will be 'his' while others will be 'her'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Wagner
Germany
Duisburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some month ago I wrote some questions into this forum regarding parts of the rules that seems illogical to me.
You might have a look at this specific parts of the rules:

I) Below 9.1.4 in the rules, we find a description of when the axis have got the armor superiority (AS). It says, that the axis have got the AS, as long as their initiative value granted by their Armor Track is not greater than the value of the Soviet Armor Track.
In the example below this rule we read: Both sides have a value of 2, so the axis does not have the AS. Why? The value of the Axis Initiative shift is not superior to the Soviets shift. They are even.
So in this example the axis should have the AS.

Is this a mistake in the rules or do I misunderstand them?

II) On page 7 of the rules are several examples of Blitz attacks. In the middle column, right below the picture of the map, there is an example describing the advance of the 24th Panzer. The first chit that is drawn for this unit is yellow and the outcome is Advance + 3rd. So the outcome refers to the 2nd column of the Blitz Combat Table, not the first column. Why?
The same is about the example given for the 39th Panzer in their first Blitz Combat Round. At first a red Chit/Tenacity is drawn. Because of Initial Onslaught an new chit can be drawn and this time it is blue. The outcome is Advance + Again?. This again refers to the 2nd column, not the first.

III) On page 9, inside BOX III, we have got the explanation where All Soviet Line and Guard Units do go, when eliminated (3rd Point). But at the end of the sentence it says (but see 11.3). Rule 11.3 is on the same page. And it's about City Capture! So, I don't know what should be in 11.3 that is important while eliminating Soviet Line and Guard Units?

IV) On page 13 we can read the following about Logistics (16.3.3]: "...the Axis Player places the Logistics counter in Berlin,if it is not already there, (if it is, treat this occurrence as no effect)...
Some lines below this, I started to get confused (once more 8)).
It says "This is in addition to any other counter that might already be in Berlin and/or for being in Logistics mode."
The first sentence I quoted means, you can get the Berlin Logistics counter only one time in every game. If you got the same event again, it is treated as no effect. The second quote means, it is in addition to any other counter (if you already placed a Hedgehog or Defense Counter in Berlin)OR for being in Logistics mode. So, when I already got the Berlin-Logistics counter AND I am again in this mode, I get another shift of >1? But the first quote said, that later occurrences are treated as no effect.

The first question (about Armor Superiority) was answered when I posted it back in November 2012. But the answers, still, make no sense to me. After all, I think the exampel given in the rulebook does not fit the rule.

While reading the posts of the last time, I have found a thread posted by piet jones, opened on April 20th. Its about the difference between soviet Tank and Guard Tank units. To make a difference, axis line units should need two advances against a Guard Tank unit in a round. This advances can be made during the Blitz combat phase and/or the regular combat phase.Axis Panzer units attack as normal, means they need only one advance. By this way, you have a difference between soviet Tank and Guard Tank units. But this should be tested. It might be, that the already devastating soviet Tank units become too powerful. In this way they act much like a moving fortification marker.

One more general thought about the game:
I've played the game a dozens of times over the last 2 years.
The game perfectly reflects the loss of initiative, that the axis experienced during the war at the eastern front. And this is a problem at the same time! If you do not succeed in making progress with your operations until the round of winter 1942, all you can do then is celebrating your downfall. This makes the course of the game very predictable. Get 4 VP or 2 of the 3 major cities until Winter 1942, or you surely lose the game.
You already included some "what-if" scenarios into the game like "Finns free". This inevitable course of the game might be fixed with some more of this "what-if"-things. Some suggestions: A special event for the years 1944/45 that says: The invasion in France (Normandie) failed. Germans get reinforcements. Or the developement of some kind of "Wonder Weapon" (perhaps a Tank unit that works like the SS-Elite-Tank unit). A special Luftwaffe-counter that allows the Germans to redraw a combat chit in the Blitz-combat-phase (like the redraw the Germans get in the summer turn 1941). Or a japanese attack on the soviet-union and the soviets lose some of their special units, because they have to send them to their eastern front (much like the events that can occur in 1944/45, forcing the Germans to retreat special units from the front).
Or an event for 1943 to reflect the "Operation Zitadelle". The last offensive of the german forces at the eastern front. Germans might get new and modern tank units for an decisive attack. In game terms, one free Panzer-unit that must be used to immediate attack the Soviets.

One more thing about encircled units. During the different combat phases those units attack and by successfully attacking they increase in numbers. This is illogical. Where should these new units come from within an encirclement? The attacking unit advances and the hex it left is occupied by another unit from the corresponding holding box.
Instead, the gap left behind by the advancing unit should be filled with an enemy line unit, because the encircled unit gives ground in attempting to reach their front line. Enemy units on their tails!
This also influences the calculation of the initiative number. Because half the number of encircled units (round down) count as initiative modifier.

So, now I think I have written down all my ideas for the second edition of this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Cards 23 & 25:

Setting up the game to play just now, I remembered another reason I felt confused about this:

The Event Card Discard Pile says:
"Reshuffle after certain Events are revealed"
which sounds possibly like you should only reshuffle if the Event happens (but not when just drawing the card for a capture bonus check, for example).

So I recommend changing the text on the discard pile to say:
"Reshuffle after certain cards are revealed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BIG request for what I'd like to see in a new edition:

Better designed counters. Specifically:

1. Enough Soviet line units that you don't have to double them up with the various event trackers, making some of the Soviet line units look goofy and occasionally triggering a long search through the goofy Soviet line units on the map to find a needed event tracker.

2. All counters which are simply blank on their back sides in the current edition should be double sided (with the same identical image on both sides) so you don't have to waste time turning them over. This includes:

* Soviet line units.
* Turn, VP, Initiative, German strategy etc track markers.
* Hedgehogs, partisans, city bonus, etc map markers.
* The round combat chits. (Having them blank white on their back sides is especially needlessly time-wasting when separating back out the 7 white-X chits from the rest of them.)

3. Instead of having all the circular event chits have white backgrounds, the circular German event chits could have gray backgrounds and the circular Russian event chits could have red backgrounds, to make it easier to separate them out from each other (especially as some of the German ones get placed on the Soviet lend/lease track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
These are good requests and I am happy to say most of them have already been addressed. Our old way of printing made it impractical to make double sided counters unless absolutely necessary, however, our new production technique makes it quite easy, so we will definitely be making all the counters double sided. As for the Soviet units, there should be enough Soviet (and German) line units so that you never have to use other markers to create the line.

We've given the counters a total overhaul, there are now separate markers for the events and the counters are designed to facilitate quick set up and play.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Size of cards should be increased to match both the size and quality of normal playing cards. Also would love to see a mounted board option for this game. I would gladly pay an extra $20 for that option and I am sure I would not be alone. I know it can be done well under that amount for quantities of 500+ boards. Also please make the game pieces at least 5/8" not 1/2". Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fortuna
msg tools
I appreciate the feedback. You'll be happy to know that the cards will get the full treatment and should be much nicer, both to look at and to handle.

I'm not sure we are going to be able to offer a mounted board for this game, we are thinking of expanding the map to include more hexes, resulting in 3 map boards, which is outside our abilities to mount. However, if there is sufficient interest, we can definitely look into alternative ways to provide mounted maps (no promises though).

As for the game pieces, I unfortunately think we will not be able to enlarge them dramatically. To get them to fit onto the new map we could only enlarge them slightly, from .5 inches to .55 inches. So they should be a bit bigger, but not as much as we'd like.

Thanks again for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Kevin Fortuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Kvevlander
Sweden
Röbäck
flag msg tools
I'm sort of yellow on the inside. (Missing Japan ...)
badge
Obey the beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for mounted board, even if it would cost a lot extra for me as a customer.

Also, it would be great if care could be taken to print the board vectorized, or at least at higher resolution than now. The board in my copy looks a bit like a mid resolution JPEG, with high compression, printed large on an old inkjet printer. Especially text is annoyingly grainy. A vectorized map printed with a proper printer should be able to produce near razor sharp text and lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Kvevlander
Sweden
Röbäck
flag msg tools
badge
Obey the beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take this the wrong way (I figured I turned out a bit snarky), I really love the game as is, but here lies room for improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
+1 for mounted board, even if it would cost a lot extra for me as a customer.

We discussed this at the meeting this AM. Typically, we have 2 SKUs for most of our games: 1 boxed SKU and 1 bagged SKU. It occurred to us that all of the stuff going into this new edition of TBC makes fitting it all in a bag highly problematic, if not impossible. So...

We're thinking the 2 SKUs for TBC2 will both be boxed versions, but one without a mounted map (guesstimated MSRP at this time, circa $50) and one with a mounted map (probably +$30 MSRP more, but also in our bigger, 3" thick box -- it will need it for all those mounted board pieces!).

Thanks for getting us to think about that!!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Kvevlander
Sweden
Röbäck
flag msg tools
badge
Obey the beard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:

Thanks for getting us to think about that!!

Thanks for considering it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibly larger map allow for 4th Pz group? Terrain seems to have little effect for line troops. If I attack any type with line I just need a green chit, could it be 1st column as rules, 2nd column X is no advance and 3rd X or * no advance. This probably does not work as later in war all your Green X will be out of play.
More special unit possibly but may unbalance game.
Events seem to happen rarely but some seem too strong, would like an headline event.
I would also like the Germans to be able to do something once they collapse maybe allowed to attack but as if Axis Allies. The game can lose a bit of excitement once you collapse and you spend the next 3 turns just waiting to see if the Soviets can take Berlin with very little you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Prodi
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And,by the way, when do you estimate the new edition will be released ? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.