United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive Melmont (Flight 4) was the One Man, One Vote pledge reward character (you get to pick one character from the votable characters who will appear in the game).

In a surprising twist of fate, Clive was the least popular character in the general polls, but he got the one vote that counted, and so ended up in the game alongside Lymn and Cesar. At the time, many backers were a bit upset at Clive's inclusion, due to his general popularity.

But now that we've all gotten a chance to play him, I'm curious if opinions have changed? In my personal play group, Clive is a fan favorite, and I wonder if there are others out there whose opinions have been swayed now that they've given him a try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually one of those dissenters that, after playing him, actually really like his play style!

I will admit that I'm not a fan of his design compared to the other fighters, but his mechanics were great. He has a lot of options with his module cards, including quite a few movement modifications. He can be be modified to fight at several different ranges, and his modules cover a broad enough scope to be useful against any other fighter in the box. I had a very fun match playing as him vs. Joal.

So yeah, not a fan of his design or looks (and didn't vote for him during the voting phase) but I do really enjoy how he plays, much more so than I thought I would!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played some Clive and I'm not a fan of the way he plays. Not saying that he's bad, but that my play-style doesn't suit him (high risk-high reward).

From an "objective" point of view, he does his job right and his mechanics are interesting.

Though, as far as I know, a majority of people just didn't like him because he looked "not cool."

Hahahahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
Though, as far as I know, a majority of people just didn't like him because he looked "not cool."

Hahahahaha.

Basically, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newbie, I see that he has 9 module cards which is really intimidating. I'll probably end up using them in the wrong order or wrong time or such. Especially the line of text that reads they're gone forever if you mess up.

At least with Runika, they're just all on to begin with so the pill is easier to swallow.

I could also be completely wrong as I haven't played or played against him, but it seems like he's a ranged fighter than dances around as well, which is not exactly the most appealing play style for some people. (No better way to scare off a newbie other than dancing forever, chipping away, and never letting them get in a hit... even if getting hit means significantly more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not part of the "boooo!" faction on the KS when he was picked, but his lore and visual design did seem kind of uninspiring to me (and still do).

I love playing as him. In fact, kinda wish I'd chosen him for the PBF I'm in now... Flipping through a big stack of modules can be a little bit painful, and I think I often forget the mandatory movement effects at least once during a game. But it feels like he has an interesting type of flexibility, and it's definitely not what I guessed when he was originally described. And I like toolboxy characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uwalvin wrote:
As a newbie, I see that he has 9 module cards which is really intimidating. I'll probably end up using them in the wrong order or wrong time or such.

This was my fear! But my current theory about how to play him (not very well tested, admittedly), is that you can't treat him like Joal or Endrbyt-- a configurable character where you're trying to pick the best 'build'. His boosts are too small for that; you should pick them as if they're definitely going to only last one beat, and if you get to hang on to some of them longer, great.

In other words, you shouldn't flip through the modules trying to figure out which one is best right now. You should go about your business picking an attack pair, and if you find yourself off by one point in a stat, or 1 space away from where you need to be, activate that module.

Man, now I want to play more Clive and see if this holds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thick McRunfast
msg tools
Well, I was actually one of the 20-odd people who voted for him, so I have an unusual point of view. His concept seemed an interesting cyberpunk/magical mixture, and I tend to enjoy toolbox characters as well. I was a little worried about the "modules get scrapped when hit", but I've enjoyed how his abilities turned out.

grasa_total wrote:
This was my fear! But my current theory about how to play him (not very well tested, admittedly), is that you can't treat him like Joal or Endrbyt-- a configurable character where you're trying to pick the best 'build'. His boosts are too small for that; you should pick them as if they're definitely going to only last one beat, and if you get to hang on to some of them longer, great.

Totally agree. The small boosts are always kind of nice, but can add up fast when multiple modules are active or when using his Wrench unique base. Dash beats even help you build them faster, on top of avoiding damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way Clive plays so far, but I've only played him once. I don't find his character visually interesting, but I like the idea of the modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also one of the guys who voted for Clive (with Cesar and Baenvier, and against Lynm). I always enjoyed his concept of building up and then breaking down. The modules arent particularly powerful, but when he gets most of them, Clive can become frightening.

About the look, yeah, a boy robot is a pretty beaten up concept, but unlike the all-knowing-brat, one i actually enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is the only character in Devastation I never played or played against even once. Wich pretty much sums out group´s love for the character (XD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Kyokai wrote:

In a surprising twist of fate, Clive was the least popular character in the general polls, but he got the one vote that counted, and so ended up in the game alongside Lymn and Cesar. At the time, many backers were a bit upset at Clive's inclusion, due to his general popularity.

My comment at the time was that it was the best investment possible. Think how sick you'd be if you paid $2,500 to get Cesar in.

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of his look, but I did enjoy the one game I played with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I have not played as Clive yet but I did vote for him - primarily because unlike most of the Devastation characters - he was indeed not cool. But since most of them are cool already, I thought I'd rather see something different instead of "yet another cool character".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played him, I saw what kind of character he is.

He's an escalating "best build" character. You pick which Modules will get you through the game easier, or will make escalating easier.

He's actually really "tanky" in terms of Stun Guard, especially with the SG1 Module. Through these, he can actually be relatively safe while escalating.

My main issue is that his Modules are MANDATORY. When it says advance 1 space, you have to advance 1 space. That makes quite a few of your attacks invalid (such as Bursting becoming INFINITELY harder).

This proves to be a problem because what you thought was useful now becomes a burden later on! But yeah, there comes a point of "saturation" for Clive wherein it's just better to not Activate Modules.

But bah. Look at me rambling.

Case and point is that Clive delivers an experience that isn't wholly new (look at Gerard/Zaamasal) but it's unique in its own way (because it's a mish-mash of multiple existing things, like most characters).

I guess, for me, I don't like the risk to his game-plan, especially since some of the Modules are just not too useful. Other than that the experience he gives is very much akin to my experience with Zaamasal. He didn't feel too "new." Though that's my personal BIAS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not against Clive, I just really wanted Burman. It was Lymn who I was not keen on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the voters for Clive, so I'm glad he's here. Still not sure I "got him", as the flow of him building up, or sometimes resetting to avoid losing key modules, is quite hard to grasp.

Like Marco said, the fact that his module effects are mandatory leads to him sometimes bouncing strangely around the board, making his spacing hard to manage for his player, but I find this quite thematic.

The interesting part is that you really have to adapt his gameplay quite radically depending on the opposition. That's the case for most mid-range brawlers, but with him, it seems to lead to a very different management of his module building mechanic (either burning through modules like crazy, or relying on a limited set of appropriate modules that you cycle with Wrench.
Playing him to build up a lot of modules (in an all or nothing way), or with a limited number of those (returning crucial modules to your deck with Wrench the turn after you play those) lead to very different fights. The first is more spectacular when you win or lose, while the second one, though harder to master, could be ultimately more reliable. Switching to one for the other being also an option, in the right timing...

In this regard, I'm also under the impression that his choice of Finisher can be crucial for his gameplay, since they just reinforce this duality in his module management. Burning all your modules to possibly trigger System Shock, vs playing more conservatively and keeping System Reset as a failsafe.

Basically, it seems to me you have to distinguish between burnable modules, and modules which are crucial in the matchup you're playing. Will you be able to tank your opponent? Or will you have to rely on spacing to survive the fight (building range? Closing in?) ? Will a +1 priority make a difference? Will your opponent stun you easily or not? Does he have crucial effects you can block with the Core? Or can you expect to stun him on high priority/low damage attacks? Etc...

Those are my thoughts for now, but as I said, I'm far from having enough experience with him to actually give reliable hints for his gameplay.

The important thing being : I want to main him, and master him enough to write a strategy guide. That's how much I like him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.