Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, my wife volunteered me to run a board game night for a group of teenagers. Here's the factors:

It's a church group

Teenagers (mixed boys and girls)

Up to 20 attendees

3-4 people to teach games

Most have likely never played a board game beyond Monopoly, and probably consider board games to be boring

Probably would not get the themes in games like Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galactica

Only have the games listed in 'my collection'

Will be doing maybe 2 hours or so, including snack and social time

What games from my collection would you recommend I go with? Any suggestions ask to how to help them pick games? Suggestions on how to make the evening more enjoyable and not boring or lame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wits and Wagers family would be good. You can separate them into teams if needed. Turn it into a game show type setting. They might like something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in your collection, but I think The Resistance fits this situation really well.

Fairly inexpensive, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sauer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got some good co-operative games on that list. Forbidden Island, Castle Panic, Flash Point, Pandemic, good range of themes, fairly simple to play (even if the rules on some LOOK complicated to a non-gamer) and can be taught as you go along, since everybody is working together. Also dodges the pitfall of what happens if you have wide ranges of skill levels, or competitiveness, which can sometimes ruin the fun for some people, especially if they aren't that into board games in the first place.

I suppose I'm somewhat biased, since I'm a big fan of co-ops with MY kids.

I dunno exactly what teens will or won't go for, as my only real experiences are with my memories of my own teen years, and my 13-year-old son (my other kids are younger), and I suspect they are not typical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your simpler coops should work well, and it also provides a good uniting theme for the evening: Flash Point (on the simplest settings), Castle Panic, and Forbidden Island, in particular. Pandemic is a little trickier to explain and I think harder for teens to grasp on a first play, so I think those others would work better for this group.

Other games on your list that could work:
- Ticket to Ride - some of the kids already may be familiar with it.
- Carcassonne - easy to teach and play.
- Stone Age is a possibility, but will take more explaining (mainly how to use the cards), so make sure the table leader really knows the game.
- Love Letter. Maybe. The tricky thing with this one is remembering what all the cards do, and how many of each remain out there.

Have fun!

Edit: I see Josh had similar thoughts about the coops. Maybe that's a sign... (P.S., I'm making a bold assumption given the location of this activity that it's an LDS Mutual Activity. If it's not, my apologies and no offense intended. But if it is, I totally get where you are coming from -- my wife just finished a 3 yr. stint as YW Pres.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reiner Knizia's Decathlon is a PnP game that you can print out a bunch of copies. Many people could potentially play, all you would need is some D6s.

This brings up another point, there are other PnP games that you could potentially print.

I suggest you stick to the gateway type games with simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm thinking Wits and Wagers, Ticket to Ride, Flash Point and/or Forbidden Island, maybe Carcassonne. Stone Age would probably exceed our time with having to explain the rules (probably a few times).

What do you think of the idea of randomizing things, to make sure people aren't just grabbing their closest friends and playing with them, as well as reducing decision time as to who plays what? I'm thinking we give everyone a number (or have them write their name) and draw randomly to a set number of players per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Beate
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a great opportunity the learn the teens that board games are fun. Most of them only play computer games, I think.

I will recommend you to bring the easiest gateway games, and maybe the playingtime of each game shouldn't be too long, so that they can try a couple of games each.

My suggestions are:
- Ticket to Ride Europe
- Rummikub
- Blokus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
It's not in your collection, but I think The Resistance fits this situation really well.

Fairly inexpensive, too.

The Resistance can handle 10, as can Say Anything. I like the simple scoring system Wil Wheaton uses on Tabletop.

You don't already own either game, but they are both inexpensive, and those 2 can handle all 20 kids. Maybe Love Letter and Bananagrams in case of stragglers. Though I read somewhere that The Resistance is between print runs? Hopefully you can track it down. Perfect for that crowd.

Here's the main thing I would focus on: bring games where everybody is involved, all the time. Structured turns in big groups of teens will be tough. The three games I recommended all have unstructured turns, but there are others, too, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And yep, it's a Mutual activity. We've been doing a board game night once a month at the church since last year, but we have yet to have a single youth attend. It's either small children, or adults. So we're planning to have this night of games, and then schedule our game night for the Saturday immediately following, so we can let them know about it, give them a taste of what we play, and hopefully get some interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
from my experience:

I've gamed with 10-14 y.o. (mixed, but more "street kids").

Dixit works well with girls. King of Tokyo is more "boys game" (but they love it). Say anything is also a neat one.

Cash and Guns also got a lot of love by the boys, but I don't think you want that game connected to church. Ahem. Lotsa fun though.

Your collection:
Blokus.
Forbidden island.
love letter.
wits and wagers - of course.

Probably balderdash and Once Upon a time as well (though I never played them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play ultimate werewolf all the time with our youth group. Better then the Resistance if you (or one of the kids) can be a good moderator.

If you think that is too expensive because it is not in your collection... you can always do Mafia using a deck of cards using Aces for Mafia/Werewolves, Queen for Healer, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest playing Formula D, especially if you do it with this six page print & play map: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45260/rocky-shores-track-t...

Also, I know you said games from your own collection, but I would highly suggest checking out Android: Infiltration

Oh, and +1 for The Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.