Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that things have pretty much settled, here are some Quick Links so folks don't need to hunt through the replies for links:

Regular (4"x6") images
Printer Studio "large card" sized images

Original post follows.
-------------------------------
So as not to cause undue chatter on the "Cauldron Tracking Thread", and to make these easier for folks to spot should they be so inclined to use them, I submit for you a new thread devoted to Oversized Villain cards for the fantastic fan-made expansion "The Cauldron" by Tosx and his crew.

Needing some "busy time" today to keep me occupied but not seriously tax my mind, I started putting together the simpler of the villains as oversized cards, in the 4x6 format used Greater Than Games. My plan is to print them on the heaviest card stock I can and keep them with the other villains I have, because it would be a shame to play with the fantastic villains from The Cauldron in the inferior format of small character cards.

My efforts thus far can be found on a folder on my Google Drive. If anyone is so inclined I would really, really appreciate some proofing. My head has been a bit fuzzy today (hence my need for something not mentally taxing) so I'm entirely expecting some stupid errors to crop up that I'll be embarrassed about once they are pointed out. If you'd like to embarrass me I'll accept it in good humour and offer my thanks.

I still have Tiamat to do, along with her promo. Yeah, I'm not sure how to handle those yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back side of RAM card - "VIllaIn" should be "Villain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiamat is fairly obvious... one oversized card for each head!

I mean, it's not like the Ennead method would work for Tiamat, what with each head having its own separate rules card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Back side of RAM card - "VIllaIn" should be "Villain."

See, that's the embarrassing kind of mistake I was sure I'd have.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HikariStarshine wrote:
Tiamat is fairly obvious... one oversized card for each head!

Yeah, it almost needs to be this way. But then the model would need to be carried over to the promo, with SIX! heads. And soon we I'll need a separate box to store them all!

But I'll probably end up doing all the heads this way, unless someone has an idea so cunning you can stuff it in a tin can and call it a tuna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
For the Hydra version of Tiamat, you'll need to have the rules on the front of the three heads and front and back of the three regenerated heads as once they're out they can flip without changing the rules.
To save some space you could have the "If an Element card comes out and X head is incapacitated..." on the back of the appropriate starting head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't find any other typos. Looking forward to this, as I agree the large format are way cooler and easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Walker
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this! I'm hooked on both oversized villain cards and Cauldron villains, which has been a little bummerific.

I wish PrinterStudio had a 4x6 option... if/when anyone prints these, I'd love to hear how the turned out on what kind of stock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiamat cards have been uploaded to my google drive (link in the first post). If anyone spots any errors I'll be grateful if you're willing to share. We'll have a laugh at my expense and I'll correct the problems as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Walker
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked them for spelling/grammar and also against the original cards and found no outright errors. Hooray for success!

I wonder, though, if you might want the setup sections to say, "put Tiamat's villain character card into play", instead of "put Tiamat's villain character into play"? Maybe it's just an author's prerogative thing, but I thought I'd point it out just in case!

Either way, you're my hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
I may be missing something (don't own any oversized cards, not that familiar with the format), but where did the Tiamat rule backs go? When a head is decapitated it should still be providing some effects.

Nice work! This was way down my list of things to do, so I'm happy someone else took a stab at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The backs are, uh, preliminary? And not done? And, uh....

*blush* in my defence it was late when I thought I was finished! Hopefully I'll get them fixed this afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New versions of the Tiamat cards uploaded to my Google Drive. As always, point out my foibles to receive gratitude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First attempt at Tiamat, Elemental Hydra are up. This was a much trickier one. The rules cards for the original were a bit hard to convert to the "all rules on the character card" format. In the end, I've added all the common rules to the seventh "all the heads shown" card that tosx put in "just for fun", so it now has some gameplay value, if only for the oversized versions. The rest, I hope parsed the rules correctly and the rules on the oversized should match the results of the original, but it's impossible to use the same wording. I think I got everything lined up right, but if there's some error in my logic please point it out for me.

Edit: I think I'm missing a H icon or a few. I'll get them fixed up soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten my first set of cards printed out at Staples today. Here's a quick snap of them, with the official Ambuscade for comparison purposes. They're quite a bit thinner than the originals, but are very much up to the task.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Walker
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look nice!

What kind of stock did they/you use at Staples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Staples lists the option as "98 bright, 100 lb". Reasonably happy with the results and the price. About 2 bucks for the 7 cards -- Tiamat was printed three on a page, the others were two per page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Quick note, the reason the Lightning head/rules specified to put them into play last in their Setup was to ensure their "head regeneration" didn't happen until after the "new head comes out first time this is decapitated" text. Currently, the 3 secondary heads will never come out unless you kill at least 2 in a round. Not sure what a good way to fix that is.

Also I think you could probably move the Decapitated head text to the secondary head fronts.

Also the main Hydra's back says "Setup" instead of "Gameplay" and I think you could use an extra space where you have (H)icons (I use 2 spaces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch on the heads regenerating bit. I think having wording on the back of the main heads to the effect of "when this card if flipped to this side, if HEAD X is not in play, put it in play yadda yadda yadda" will do the trick. Thoughts?

Thanks for catching the bits about the H icons and wording. I'll get them sorted out on the next upload.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Problem is that effect has a timing trigger (start of the villain turn), which is the same as the head regen trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, took a while for me to grok things. Did I mention that translating to a character-card only format was tough?

With my original wording, as you say, two heads need to be flipped before any secondary heads come into play.

With my new, proposed wording it's possible for the secondary head to come in "too soon" (sooner than the original rules cards would allow for), giving the heroes a chance to pound the head before it has a chance to strike.

Let me ponder some. I have a feeling that there's a solution. I just need to find it. It's one of those things where the intent is pretty obvious, but the wording is tricky.

Is there something else I may be missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not perfect, as it adds a new rule / keyword, but it's not too far off from, say, Argent Adept. How about on the main card:

At the start of the villain turn, perform the grow text of all decapitated heads. Then flip 1 decapitated head to its head side and
restore it to 2 times H HP.

And the decapitated side for Jaws, Mouth and Eye would be:

Grow: If Tiamat, the X of Y is not in play, put it in play head side up with 15 HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qesdenova wrote:
They look nice!

I showed them to my nine year old, Sentinels addicted daughter (we recently defeated Iron Legacy and The Chairman in two player / four hero games). I think I need to print out new copies, as she's drooled all over them!

OK, not literally. But she's thrilled that we have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A couple possible solutions:

1. "At the start of the villain turn select a decapitated head, activate its start of villain turn text, then flip. . ."

2. Change the summoning of a new head to the end of the environment phase, or maybe even some new text like "At the start of the round," or "Before the start of the villain turn," or "After the Environment turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Summoning a new head at the end of the environment turn would do it I think, I like that. I'll think about it more but if I don't come up with any downsides I think I'll change the promo cards to that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.