Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so now that Science Fiction double feature is in people's hands, I was hoping I might steal a moment of peoples time to see what factions people think are the strongest out of all the available ones so far. Are Zombies still the strongest competitor with Robots a close second, or have the new factions thrown spanners into the works with counters or by just being outright stronger.

I appreciate your time for answering, thankyou! =)

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in Smash Up?
  Tier 4+ (Poor) Tier 3 (Average) Tier 2 (Good) Tier 1 (God)
Aliens
Dinosaurs
Ninjas
Pirates
Robots
Tricksters
Wizards
Zombies
Bear Cavalry
Carnivourous Plants
Ghosts
Steampunks
Cultists
Elder Things
Innsmouth
Miskatonic University
Cyborg Apes
Shapeshifters
Spies
Time Travellers
      262 answers
Poll created by Smoothsmith

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in Monster Smash?
Giant Ants
Mad Scientists
Vampires
Werewolves
      153 answers

Poll
How powerful are the Geeks?
Geeks
      123 answers

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in Pretty Pretty Smash Up?
Kitty Cats
Princesses
Fairies
Mythic Horses
      125 answers

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in Smash Up: Munchkin?
Clerics
Halflings
Orcs
Warriors
Elves
Thieves
Dwarves
Mages
      59 answers

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in 'Smash Up: Its' Your Fault'?
Sharks
Superheroes
Greek Myth
Dragons
Tornado's
      80 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 15 votes, it looks very similar to what I voted overall, except two things.

1. Wizards are way lower than I expected. When judging a faction, I would consider how that faction works with others. Wizards is the ultimate support deck in the game, so I thought it would at least be tier 2.

2. Ghosts, not surprisingly, getting such a wide spray of votes. It is clear the votes of those who know how to use them, and those who don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:
After 15 votes, it looks very similar to what I voted overall, except two things.

1. Wizards are way lower than I expected. When judging a faction, I would consider how that faction works with others. Wizards is the ultimate support deck in the game, so I thought it would at least be tier 2.

2. Ghosts, not surprisingly, getting such a wide spray of votes. It is clear the votes of those who know how to use them, and those who don't.

Definitely agree that it's odd for Wizards to be so low, I voted for good. I think part of the advantage of wizards is they make things more consistent, you can be far more sure of getting out the cards you want, rather than hoping for a little potluck on the good cards being at the top of the deck.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure with ghosts, I was one of those who voted them as Tier 4, as more often than not they don't work so well, but a friend has used them to good effect a couple of times with plants, & I think they'll be good with shape-shifters too. I'll hopefully get to try it soonish & I'll update my vote ^^.

--

Seems a lot of people agree with me that Cyborg Apes are a bit too strong. I've given them a try twice now and absolutely trounced my opponents (Who were fairly new to the game to be fair, but it was like...landslide victory, not just easy). First time was with Time Travelers, which made them feel just a bit strong, and second was with dinosaurs which was a bit of a piss-take with consistent 10+ power minions hanging around. No idea if a few more games, or when i start playing SFDF with semi-randomized factions (3 cards each, draft to pick 2 is our normal method), that it might be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
posterchild21 wrote:

Definitely agree that it's odd for Wizards to be so low, I voted for good. I think part of the advantage of wizards is they make things more consistent, you can be far more sure of getting out the cards you want, rather than hoping for a little potluck on the good cards being at the top of the deck.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure with ghosts, I was one of those who voted them as Tier 4, as more often than not they don't work so well, but a friend has used them to good effect a couple of times with plants, & I think they'll be good with shape-shifters too. I'll hopefully get to try it soonish & I'll update my vote ^^.

--

Seems a lot of people agree with me that Cyborg Apes are a bit too strong. I've given them a try twice now and absolutely trounced my opponents (Who were fairly new to the game to be fair, but it was like...landslide victory, not just easy). First time was with Time Travelers, which made them feel just a bit strong, and second was with dinosaurs which was a bit of a piss-take with consistent 10+ power minions hanging around. No idea if a few more games, or when i start playing SFDF with semi-randomized factions (3 cards each, draft to pick 2 is our normal method), that it might be different.

After 22 votes, Wizards are trending upward, which is cool.

Yes, Apes are strong as hell. So much power boosting, but still a good spread of other powerful benefits (unlike dino who are pure power). To me, apes are 2nd strongest.

Ghosts are so strong, but they require a partner who works well with them (except Aliens, who take the lead). Once you get a good partner deck, their lead faction power is insane. Zombie, Wizard, Plant, Robot, Shapeshifter, and Spy all work very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Nice poll with a good turnout. That's a good sign for the one I've been preparing.

Lets see:

Zombies and Robots Tier 1 are no surprise. Aliens straddling the line isn't a surprise either.

Dino's, Wizards and Ninjas placing well not surprising either.

Pirates and Tricksters are of course lower but not quite as low as I was expecting.

For 9000 the more I play Bears the more I agree with that they are average that treds good. Too many times I've been burned by them drawing their cards at the wrong time. Plants are of course good too and Steam Punk being the highest doesn't surprise me.

The wide wide spread of Ghosts is no surprise either. My personal opinion is they are Tier 2 but due to difficulty in using them if you don't know their cards well they are tier 4.

Cthullu I find most surprising what with all the crying about how OP, unfair and unbalanced they were. I thought for sure that Elder things would at least hit Tier 2. Miscatoniks I put in the same boat as Ghosts. If you know what you are doing they are Tier 2ish. Otherwise Tier 4. Innsmouth always feels very weak and Cultists are a big head scratcher so them trending low is no surprise.

SFDF is rather surprising too. Apes and Shapeshifters were expected to be high but I thought Spies would place much higher (like Wizards) whereas TT would be far lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in Summary, giving each a value & then arbitrarily giving them tiers we get...

It's just 4*(Tier 1 %) + 3*(Tier 2 %) etc from the votes to come up with the values. Time travellers come up remarkably high considering they're the only one with a majority of votes in Tier 4, but they have high votes too for whatever reason, perhaps some have found a particular strong combo with them?

Tier 1 (300+)
Zombies (381.8)
Robots (363.1)
Cyborg Apes (324)
Shapeshifters (321.6)
Aliens (311.7)

Tier 2 (250-300)
Steampunks (285)
Wizards (262.8)
Dinosaurs (254.6)
Carnivourous Plants (253.7)
Ninjas (251.3)
Bear Cavalry (251.3)

Tier 3 (200-250)
Spies (239.9)
Elder Things (228.4)
Ghosts (207.5)

Tier 4 (Less Than 200)
Time Travellers (191.7)
Miskatonic University (184.1)
Pirates (176.7)
Tricksters (169)
Innsmouth (148.6)
Cultists (134.4)

--

It's mostly in line with how I feel about them all - I might place some of the lower ones higher, but the reasons are very situational, so I think this is a good overview for all scenario's rather than game-to-game. I still personally don't feel like Zombies are all that strong, particularly compared to Robots (Although they're certainly good).

Anyway thanks for voting all ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Matteo
msg tools
mbmb
I'm actually not surprised by any of this except for one faction: Elder Things (or "Horrors" as my group calls them). The group that I play with has clearly labeled them as a top threat. While they don't have particularly explosive plays, they speed at which they spread madness is WAY worth the trade off.

I guess the best way to put it is that instead of winning, they just make everyone else lose. And that's landed them tier 1 status for me personally.

Also, will you be doing this poll again w/ Geeks + Monster Smash in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CNightmare072 wrote:
I'm actually not surprised by any of this except for one faction: Elder Things (or "Horrors" as my group calls them). The group that I play with has clearly labeled them as a top threat. While they don't have particularly explosive plays, they speed at which they spread madness is WAY worth the trade off.

I guess the best way to put it is that instead of winning, they just make everyone else lose. And that's landed them tier 1 status for me personally.

Also, will you be doing this poll again w/ Geeks + Monster Smash in the future?

I don't see why not, once they've been out a while SI people have good opinions ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Spitzer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised to see Bear Cavalry so high. They have good power, but during all our game nights, i never saw anybody winning with them. Is there something i am missing (besides that they seem to like spreading out)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mickael robez
France
flag msg tools
Quote:

Ghosts are so strong, but they require a partner who works well with them (except Aliens, who take the lead).

The fact is that every partner working "well" with ghosts are very much better with other factions.

CNightmare072 wrote:

I agree with that, plus Elder Things contains heavy monster not very hard to play and it's very fun to play against Zombie. Bye bye discard pile !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnny k
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's time we put the Monster factions too in the poll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clerical_error wrote:

Challenge accepted, will post a new thread in a few minutes...

Actually, screw posting a new thread, editing the main post to add the new factions as a second poll, I'll try to keep fresh threads down to every 2 or 3 expansions =)

Poll for the new factions. Saving posting a totally fresh poll till another expansion or two down the line =)

Poll
How powerful are each of the factions in Monster Smash?
Giant Ants
Mad Scientists
Vampires
Werewolves
      153 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clerical_error wrote:

Geeks? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
clerical_error wrote:

Geeks? whistle

God damnit! I should have put those in that one...Aaaargh! Single line poll coming up...

Poll
How powerful are the Geeks?
Geeks
      123 answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some updated statistics for Dec 15, 2014, with comparisons to the last stats list, taken May 17, 2014. Rankings are included. Parentheses include the tier value change from the last stats list, rank change (with reference to last stats list), and tier promotion/demotion.

Tier 1 (300+)
1. Zombies: 378.0 (-3.8)
2. Robots: 370.8 (+7.7)
3. Cyborg Apes: 316.6 (-7.4)
4. Aliens: 312.3 (+0.6, up 1)
5. Shapeshifters: 311.9 (-9.7, down 1)
6. Mad Scientists: 300.1
7. Geeks: 300.0

Tier 2 (250-300)
8. Steampunks: 290.5 (+5.5)
9. Wizards: 282.2 (+19.4)
10. Werewolves: 279.2
11. Elder Things: 271.7 (+43.3, up 5, promoted)
12. Carnivorous Plants: 271.1 (+17.4)
13. Bear Cavalry: 266.5 (+15.2, up 2)
14. Super Spies: 255.3 (+15.4, up 1, promoted)

Tier 3 (200-250)
15. Ninjas: 249.3 (-2, down 2, demoted)
16. Dinosaurs: 249.1 (-5.5, down 5, demoted)
17. Giant Ants: 247.5
18. Ghosts: 226.1 (+18.6)
19. Miskatonic University: 220.4 (+36.3, up 1, promoted)
20. Time Travelers: 219.2 (+27.5, down 1, promoted)
21. Vampires: 205.6

Tier 4 (Less than 200)
22. Tricksters: 196.6 (+27.6, up 1)
23. Pirates: 196.4 (+19.7, down 1)
24. Innsmouth: 188.1 (+39.5)
25. Cultists: 184.3 (+49.9)

Base Set: 279.3
SFDF: 275.8
AL9000: 263.6
MS: 258.1
OCS: 216.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the summary David =-). It's really interesting to see the way things have moved through the ratings, particularly that the things in the lower end moving up in rank, presumably as people who've played more appreciate the nuances further ^^.

Its' really interesting that the Base Set is up top on power too ^^, wonder if pretty pretty smash up will break that, kitty cats OP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Curran
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I love the idea of polling tier lists. My roommate and I who play often have on multiple occasions sat down for the sole purpose of debating our "power rankings." We haven't gone through them in months as our feverish hunger for the game waned a bit, so the most recent two expansions were never ranked.

The issue we always ran into was ranking the factions in 2-player games vs. 4-player games. Factions behave very differently and some are quite strong in 2-player but are abysmal in 4-player. So we always had two sets of rankings for the two different amounts of players - and always operated under the assumption that 3-player games were somewhere in between the two, erring closer to 4-player rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird that ghosts are so low, that is bar none one of my groups favorite factions and people playing ghosts have a very high win rate. I would definitely rate them upper tier 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin1280 wrote:
It's weird that ghosts are so low, that is bar none one of my groups favorite factions and people playing ghosts have a very high win rate. I would definitely rate them upper tier 2

I would say they're underrated in this poll because of their relative draw-dependency and their learning curve. But they definitely are quite potent...Spectre and Hauntings are powerful, Ghostly Arrival is practically an extra turn, and Make Contact is just such a gratifying card to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Generally factions with higher learning curves place lower in polls like this since not all people are willing to invest the effort to learn how to play them. That's why Ghosts and Miscotonics (2 factions with a lot of power but very high learning curves) are placed so low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smashup Fanatic
msg tools
Pirates are also underrated, Full Sail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I honestly don't understand how steam punk aren't listed as God tier. They can retrieve from their discard pile and they drop so much power on bases with ease. The Tier List Breakdown has them below many factions that don't make sense to me. Steam punk 3rd best imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad -- I love my Wizard Tricksters; haven't played Zombies yet, but will have to see all the buzz. No surprise on the Robots...hate those suckers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
smashupfanatic wrote:

Unfortunately this is not really true. Full Sail is the shining jewel in the chest but sadly they are very lacking in other areas and really needed more than just 1 super strong card to hold them together as their other abilities often fizzle against opponents who know what they are doing.

sonus wrote:
I honestly don't understand how steam punk aren't listed as God tier. They can retrieve from their discard pile and they drop so much power on bases with ease. The Tier List Breakdown has them below many factions that don't make sense to me. Steam punk 3rd best imho

Steam Punk suffer from the similar thing that pirates do. They rely very heavily on 2 cards namely automotive and Rotary Slug Thrower and they also have a learning curve attached to them. People who don't play as often might end up finding them as being weaker than say Apes and Shapeshifters who are both really strong too but their strength is more evenly distributed among all their cards giving them much more consistent and reliable performance and a much lower learning curve.

As for Aliens, well in addition to being a very solid faction, Aliens are the ultimate 2 player faction as they are amazing at stalling the game and then gaining vp while the game is stalled and one of the first things anyone playing Smash up learns is how to invader dance which leaves a strong impression. I have a feeling that players who mostly play 2 player rank them much higher than those who play multiplayer a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
allstar64 wrote:
smashupfanatic wrote:

Unfortunately this is not really true. Full Sail is the shining jewel in the chest but sadly they are very lacking in other areas and really needed more than just 1 super strong card to hold them together as their other abilities often fizzle against opponents who know what they are doing.

sonus wrote:

Steam Punk suffer from the similar thing that pirates do. They rely very heavily on 2 cards namely automotive and Rotary Slug Thrower and they also have a learning curve attached to them. People who don't play as often might end up finding them as being weaker than say Apes and Shapeshifters who are both really strong too but their strength is more evenly distributed among all their cards giving them much more consistent and reliable performance and a much lower learning curve.

As for Aliens, well in addition to being a very solid faction, Aliens are the ultimate 2 player faction as they are amazing at stalling the game and then gaining vp while the game is stalled and one of the first things anyone playing Smash up learns is how to invader dance which leaves a strong impression. I have a feeling that players who mostly play 2 player rank them much higher than those who play multiplayer a lot.

Ya this makes sense for aliens, we seem to have average success with them outside 1v1. I do think shapeshifter and apes are solid but I rank them a step undwr steampunk. It's not bad for steam punk to rely on a few actions because they can replay them alot. They also have good movement and the card to draw an extra card. Everything they have is solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.