Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! It's that time of the week again - Friday, which means one day until "take a trip to the boardgame store Saturday".

I only play games with my girlfriend. I'm not too interested in playing games with groups of people. So all recommendations must be for 2 players.

Recently we have been getting into coop games, but they have all been really light, simple, easy to learn games such as Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Zombicide. We like these and would love to have more co-op games, but more similar to the games we are used to playing.

Outside of the co-op realm, we generally play games such as Le Havre, T'zolkin, Combat Commander: Pacific, Dungeon Petz, War of the Ring, etc.

From our own definitions we would classify these games as medium or even medium light. We were able to play all of these games on the same day as buying them - one read of the rulebooks then a little bit of referring to them during the first game was enough. The games have quite a lot of thinking involved, but they still feel pretty casual at times.

We tried looking for some co-op games that might be more similar to the games we normally play. I got Space Alert which is really awesome with 2 players (you have the extra challenge of controlling 2 people at once!), and it leads to a really chaotic and intense experience, however it is really a very particular style of game - we don't always want super fast pedal to the metal.

So basically we would like recommendations for some really great games for 2 players, that involve a lot of thinking, perhaps have quite complex rules (I love reading the Advanced Squad Leader rulebook) that take time to learn, but give a rewarding and deep experience with a lot of thinking involved. We are not interested in getting any more games like Pandemic or Jaipur, which we do really love - we just have too many games like that - we don't have that one "big heavy" game.

If the game is a co-op game it will be given preference.

Not 1 game in our collection can be considered "heavy" by us. And we want that to change! You can take a look at my collection which I believe is up to date (except for play counts which is a recent thing I have started) and see if you can come up with some recommendations! The game should require us to decide "Ok, let's start this game", take a deep breath, a stiff drink, and dive into it, ready for an intense brain burning experience.

My local game store has Urban Sprawl on sale (from Combat Commander's Chad). Would that or Dominant Species be a good choice? Both of them seem to be good with 2 players according to some reviews I have been reading.

Robinson Crusoe and Mage Knight are also possibilities but still not convinced...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your gaming tastes span a broad spectrum of the hobby, I recommend Twilight Struggle and 1960: The Making of the President.

For an intense game with rules for 1-4 players, I recommend A Distant Plain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
What about some other of Vlaada Chvátil's games like:

Dungeon Lords
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

also check out:

CO₂
Asgard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I was going to recommend D-Day at Omaha Beach but Bill's recommendations are top notch as well.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Lashley
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
Chance favors the prepared mind.
badge
Mundus vult decipi
mbmbmbmbmb
Please let me make a few esoteric suggestions if you don't mind.

I'd say give Antiquity a try, but then again it's my grail game so I'm a bit partial to it.

The rules are not so complex but the gameplay is brain burning in all of its glory. If you don't mind the cost it should be in your collection.

Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War is such a great deduction game for two... simple in design yes, but so damn beautiful and such a tense game.

Earth Reborn is really in depth as far as rules but luckily it eases you into the game.

Of course the GMT games as previously mentioned are quite masterfully designed.

If you want really difficult games to learn, I'd recommend some Phil Eklund games, i.e. Pax Porfirianaor High Frontier
They are really detailed and have multiple choices to encourage sensory overload. AP paradise.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I actually already have Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages, and Earth Reborn, but I never heard of Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War - definitely something to check out! Will also check out 1960: The Making of the President

I was actually looking at "A Distant Plain" very recently - glad to see it got recommended here, has now resparked my interest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

also check out:

CO₂
Asgard

That C02 game looks brilliant, will definitely look into it more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

also check out:

CO₂
Asgard

That C02 game looks brilliant, will definitely look into it more

If you like Dungeon Petz look into Dungeon Lords. We love both. Also check out Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island for a heavy co-op. One of the best around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, if you're looking for a complex 2 player game with lots of fiddly rules, look no further than Horus Heresy (2010). I own it, and it's a fantastic game. Really immersive too. I love reading rules, so this one was a joy to slog through laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2p coop with a lot of thinking involved, that you can spend an evening on? I think your idea of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a good one. It has multiple scenarios, so you can change what you are trying to do.

I think Antiquity is also a good choice, though it's probably not something you can pick up at your local store. Roads & Boats is another great Splotter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCasuals wrote:
I'd recommend some Phil Eklund games, i.e. Pax Porfirianaor High Frontier
They are really detailed and have multiple choices to encourage sensory overload. AP paradise.

Hope that helps

They look fabulous! Going to look into them in a bit more detail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you just described Mage Knight, in many words. The number 1 Vladda game, in my opinion (edging out Space Alert). My top recommendation of a heavy game for anymore. My top recommendation, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
I was actually looking at "A Distant Plain" very recently - glad to see it got recommended here, has now resparked my interest

If A Distant Plain looks like a good candidate, also consider Fire in the Lake, which is due out in May. (Full disclosure: it's designed by a couple of friends of mine). It's basically the same COIN game system as A Distant Plain, tailored to Vietnam. It plays with 1-4. I had the pleasure of playing it with 3 other players (advised by Mark Herman) a couple of months ago, and it was a great experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
bradelli wrote:

If A Distant Plain looks like a good candidate, also consider Fire in the Lake, which is due out in May.

Last I heard it got delayed to early Q3 - this tops my list of "games I want right now" too

Anyway, 2-player hardcore games : the original Agricola, not the 2-player special version, plays really well with 2 players too. I also recently played the 2-player version of Russian Railroads a couple of times and it's really good with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Russian Campaign
For the People
Star Fleet Battles: Captain's Edition Basic Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liga Bethere
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Make knight

I also regularly play games with my boyfriend and this is the game we pull out when time is not an issue and none of us feels the least bit tired
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
susuris wrote:
+1 to Make knight

I also regularly play games with my boyfriend and this is the game we pull out when time is not an issue and none of us feels the least bit tired

I agree with those recommending Mage Knight. It is a meaty experience with good replayability. It also has an expansion, the Lost Legion, and a character expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Android (2-5 players) is heavy in weight, options, replayability, and length of the game. It's medium or medium-high in fiddlyness, not heavy in math.

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once. Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game), so stay clear of this game, if that is a problem for you. A good storage solution will speed up the setup and cleanup.

(Yes, the game can very well be played with 2, although the game advertizes 3-5.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Mage Knight. Lost Legion is a great addition for solo/co-op

Have a look at Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. Most that have played it have called it one of the best, rivaling Twilight Struggle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she is okay with confrontational games, perhaps Earth Reborn or The Ares Project. Both these games will require players to be dedicated to learning the systems involved. They both look like good gaming experiences for the willing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Pax Porfiriana: it scales up to 5 players, but it plays very well with just 2. While I'm hopin' to play soon with 3 or 4 players, all 6 of my plays have thus far been with just 2...and we've enjoyed it immensely...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
TheCasuals wrote:

Hope that helps

High Frontier is hard to find right now as we wait for Phil to print the 3rd edition. If you want Pax Porfiriana, you can order it directly from Phil in Germany and you don't have to pay much for shipping. Otherwise it is generally sold out in the U.S. I think Games Surplus might still have a couple copies left.

http://www.sierra-madre-games.eu/index_pax_porfiriana.html

Also take a look at Paths of Glory if you are wanting a new CDG. It is generally regarded as one of the best and this year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI. It is a bit hard to find for a reasonable price right now, but GMT is probably going to do a reprint at the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
bradelli wrote:
TheCasuals wrote:

Hope that helps

High Frontier is hard to find right now as we wait for Phil to print the 3rd edition. If you want Pax Porfiriana, you can order it directly from Phil in Germany and you don't have to pay much for shipping. Otherwise it is generally sold out in the U.S. I think Games Surplus might still have a couple copies left.

http://www.sierra-madre-games.eu/index_pax_porfiriana.html

Also take a look at Paths of Glory if you are wanting a new CDG. It is generally regarded as one of the best and this year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI. It is a bit hard to find for a reasonable price right now, but GMT is probably going to do a reprint at the end of the year.

Thanks, yeah I actually got Paths of Glory about a month ago, my flgs had a 2004 edition still on sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Eldard wrote:
bradelli wrote:

If A Distant Plain looks like a good candidate, also consider Fire in the Lake, which is due out in May.

Last I heard it got delayed to early Q3 - this tops my list of "games I want right now" too

Anyway, 2-player hardcore games : the original Agricola, not the 2-player special version, plays really well with 2 players too. I also recently played the 2-player version of Russian Railroads a couple of times and it's really good with 2

I wouldn't say Agricola is any heavier than Le Havre, which the OP called medium/medium-light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Android (2-5 players) is heavy in weight, options, replayability....

Kiitos Pasi, Lautapelit have it for 59 euro...I looked at it before but of xourse saw that it was for 3 players. Ill trust you and check it out again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.