Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for the rulebook to be available, but according to Tom Vasel's video, there are many difference between this new edition and the most recent Quarriors. I will be interested in the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! I haven't had a chance to watch the video and can't at work - any teasers or highlights on the change in rules and how it fits with the prior sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest change I can see is that the new big basic quiddity dice totally replace the old ones, and you always roll 2 of them per turn no matter what.

There are also two flavors of quiddity, light and dark, which basically can be used to buy matching creatures at a discount, or can be used as generic quiddity instead.

Tom also mentioned a difference with scoring/culling but I'm not sure what he was talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Will this be a revised rule set for the entire game or only pertinent to this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The change is required for a lot of this expansion (the new quiddity dice are larger so they won't work being drawn from the bag, and the light/dark quiddity are needed for the monsters' static abilities) but I think if you are playing with other expansions, you are able to use either ruleset. The only problem with that would be that the creatures with light/dark abilities would not be able to be activated with basic quiddity dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went and auto-pre-ordered this.....
Then I saw Tom Vasel's review and I really don't like the new quarriors....
All I wanted was a new regular expansion for quarriors....

I feel like they rebooted to the original quarrions and added new rules instead of going with the Quarmageddon rule set.....

I really don't see how the games are compatible.... for the Light vs. Dark creatures to be used, all of the others should be either dark or light creature.... It's like the Corrupted Creatures' problem is here all again :/

I've sent a mail to Miniature Market.... I hope they'll cancel this pre-order I dumbly made.

This is my last time auto-pre-ordering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is this video?

Edit: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO4k8dEVfpA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
The change is required for a lot of this expansion (the new quiddity dice are larger so they won't work being drawn from the bag, and the light/dark quiddity are needed for the monsters' static abilities) but I think if you are playing with other expansions, you are able to use either ruleset. The only problem with that would be that the creatures with light/dark abilities would not be able to be activated with basic quiddity dice.

Is this a stand alone expansion where you don't need the base game to play? I thought I read somewhere that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. Honestly, it almost feels like a half-assed reboot to Quarriors more than anything. It's supposedly a stand-alone game that can /also/ be combined with the other, existing sets.

I'm completely wary of the light / dark Quiddity thing (see Corrupted and how well /that/ was supported) being dropped/forgotten going forward. Also, I have to wonder how wonky it would be incorporating prior sets with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it is a standalone but there are only exactly enough spells/creature types to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This really feels like it ignores all of the other sets, which is really unfortunate. I'm still a fan of the game, but I wish expansions would be more focused on expanding it rather than re-booting and then not effectively integrating. Oh well, this is off my wish list now unless I hear some new reviews saying it really does integrate and extend the prior releases in some way. Thanks for sharing the link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, looks great, could be my favourite expansion to the game. I like what Quartifacts brought to the game, but it was a bit fiddly, this looks far more streamlined, with pretty simply additions to the core mechanics. I love that there are alternative assistants now as well, could go a long way to mixing things up.

Thanks for bring the video to attention. Was going to skip this expansion thinking it was simply more dice, but this has turned out to be a very intriguing looking addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirenx wrote:
Wow, looks great, could be my favourite expansion to the game. I like what Quartifacts brought to the game, but it was a bit fiddly, this looks far more streamlined, with pretty simply additions to the core mechanics. I love that there are alternative assistants now as well, could go a long way to mixing things up.

Thanks for bring the video to attention. Was going to skip this expansion thinking it was simply more dice, but this has turned out to be a very intriguing looking addition to the game.

I agree that quarriors might have been a better game has it been developed like this from the beginning. But I already have A LOT of quarriors in my house, and I really don't think any of it will fit this NEW game. It is not the old quarriors anymore.

Such a waste :/

Anyway, if you do like it, I hope you'll enjoy it. I'll pass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will preorder the moment I can. I see no compatibility problems. You roll quiddity. Some of it is light and some of it is dark but it is all quiddity. So if a creature just takes quiddity, then light and dark will work. I love the idea of not having quiddity dice in the bag. Can't wait to play all of my Quarriors with this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I will preorder the moment I can. I see no compatibility problems. You roll quiddity. Some of it is light and some of it is dark but it is all quiddity. So if a creature just takes quiddity, then light and dark will work. I love the idea of not having quiddity dice in the bag. Can't wait to play all of my Quarriors with this set.

Yep, I plan to simply mix all my expansions and base sets together and don't foresee any problems. All the expansions have introduced new mechanics, and if anything, LvD seems to do a better job of integration by redoing the basic dice so that even a limited amount of LvD cards on the table will have plenty of chances to interact with the new quiddity mechanics.

Really, from what I saw in the video, I see no reason one couldn't just use the new dice with the old rules if they really wanted to. The new basic quiddity do not seem absolutely necessary as there are light and dark quiddity symbols on other dice, and thus you could just as easily use the basic 8 quiddity, 4 assistant set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

Wait... I don't get it...
What will you do in games where you have 1 Light Creature, 1 Corrupted Creature, 2 creatures from the base and 1 from Quarmageddon and 2 from Quartifacts? oh, don't forget the spells that unlock your dice.

They are not helping the game to play well altogether, it's going completely astray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second time (off the top of my head) that this has happened with a Mike Elliott game. Really this is Quarriors v3, because there is the version that allows two buys and forces you to cull the die doing the scoring. Arguably the Marvel game is Quarriors v4.

Thunderstone had a messy beginning, with some of the expansions reprinting old cards because things weren't thought through too well, then coming out with Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin to replace it all. I do feel like the latter was done pretty well.

Perhaps it is Wizkids or something, but these games seem to come out in beta form, and I'm suspicious of how much playtesting they really received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falenheld wrote:
rickert wrote:

Wait... I don't get it...
What will you do in games where you have 1 Light Creature, 1 Corrupted Creature, 2 creatures from the base and 1 from Quarmageddon and 2 from Quartifacts? oh, don't forget the spells that unlock your dice.

They are not helping the game to play well altogether, it's going completely astray!

I am going to play with them and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they would just give me a full set of quidity die in the new style I would have been happy. It would have been really easy to integrate the different sets that way. You could use 2 in order to play Light vs Dark in the current state, our use 8 of the new dice per player in order to add Light vs Dark creatures to the old sets.

Not sure what it is about this game that has them missing the mark so much. The Quartifacts expansion worked out pretty well. Corruption WOULD have worked if they would have kept adding creature cards that supported it. The lock mechanic never gets played at my table though, and now this just seems like far to much of a deviation.

Honestly, if expansions would have consisted of new cards, with a few dice packs thrown in here and there I think things would have been far more interesting than a new mechanic ever 9 months or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I definitely worry that the whole light/dark thing will go the way that corrupted will. Neat idea that never gets touched again. If not for the corrupted cards that folks have made here on BGG, I don't know that the expansion would /ever/ get any play at my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
I definitely worry that the whole light/dark thing will go the way that corrupted will. Neat idea that never gets touched again. If not for the corrupted cards that folks have made here on BGG, I don't know that the expansion would /ever/ get any play at my table.

Where are all of those cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most are in the Files section for the expansions they go with:

Quarmageddon and Qladiator have individual entries for each card.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/115098/quarriors...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/128709/quarriors...

I made a single file with all the ones for Quartifacts.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101817/corrupted-quartifac...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also, as far as the light / dark quiddity thing for dice goes, once we get some more detailed info, it would be easy to just say that on the original quiddity dice that X and Y sides are dark quiddity. I'm guessing that the new dice just replaced a couple sides to that end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkie13 wrote:
Most are in the Files section for the expansions they go with:

Quarmageddon and Qladiator have individual entries for each card.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/115098/quarriors...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/128709/quarriors...

I made a single file with all the ones for Quartifacts.
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101817/corrupted-quartifac...

I was excited to look at what has been done but I can't open the files. But thank you for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The last one is just a zip with several jpg images in it, so it should be standard fare to open unless you're on a tablet.

I have a PDF I used to print these up at my local Kinko's, along with the X-mas Promos that Wizkids put up for folks to print. Shoot me a PM if you'd like that instead (it's like 37+ megs, otherwise I'd just toss it in the files section).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.