Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mostly playing the great TM as a two-player game. And (factions aside) I can't decide if it's better or not to try to build your areas and town(s) away from other factions or not.

Is there a thread where the pros and cons are laid out? I know it's cheaper to build Trading Houses next to other people, and you can get power from adjacent other-faction buildings... but is it worth it? Has anybody played a game where the two factions have grown on completely separate unconnected islands/continents? What did they find?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually the reduced costs for trading posts are worth more than the power you give the other player. But in a 2 player game this is a 2-sided thing. If you start next to the other player the other player will start next to you.
I would expect that if you don't start next to each other you both will score less points than if you had started neighboured.

But be aware thet there ar races which can handle it better than others. The most obvious example are the swarmlings. If you play swarmlimngs in a 2p and manage it to start totally seperated from your opponent you should be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that georg. It's a game that's going to take a while to get my head around..and maybe I never will totally... but this is an enjoyable ignorance! Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you and your gaming partner are on the same lavel don't think too much about such things. Enjoy the game! After some time you will get a better understanding of it without much input from outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik A
msg tools
You plan to win.
One effective way that is underrated is increasing costs of terraforming and cutting off opponent from growth opportunities.
If you expect to be able to nerf opps choices you should be close. You cannot block if not close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final question. Am I right in thinking that because you can't have more than one town in a set of connected areas, there is a tension between the total connected areas with structures scoring at the end of the game and trying for more then one town?

In other words, if you try to create a second town, you could be reducing your total adjacent structures (unless your initial dwellings started off miles apart with no chance of them connecting?

Oh dear. Re-reading this, I'm not sure I've made this issue clear enough...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mh, I'm not sure wether this is your question or not but you can have some towns AND the largest adjancent structure. The buildings of a town have to be directly connected but for the largest structure they can also be connected through shipping (or some special abilities like carpet flight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaahhh.. yessss... I still haven't quite got the Directly and Indirectly adjacent issues fixed in my tiny brain! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition it is possible to found 2 towns and afterwards connect them with new buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.