Chris Person
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Many people (including myself) do not like the +1 loyalty card rule in Exodus that is needed for Conflicted Loyalties/Execution rules. Others argue that executions are too "light" using the Pegasus rules and it's way too easy to prove loyalty. This variant can't be used with Conflicted Loyalties,

My Solution: Don't add the extra loyalty card. When a Human player is executed follow the Pegasus rules for execution however the player does not get to choose his/her new character. You shuffle ALL of the character cards and the new player is dealt a Random character. To me, the idea of being able to choose whatever character you want makes the executions too easy on the humans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing a specific character is not what makes it "too easy" for the humans... having a guaranteed human character is what gives the humans a major advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Make executions permanent, or simply play without executions. devil

A human execution loss results in only a morale loss and that players hands of skill cards. It's like losing a crisis with -1 morale. Big whoop. I think the mechanic is unnecessary, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing with Daybreak, you also lose your Miracle token (OPG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Issues with executions not having enough impact for humans are balanced out by executions not having enough impact for cylons too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
But executions shouldn't have an impact on cylons. It's just one of a thousand copies.

To increase the impact of executions on the humans, here's what I think.
1) Do use the +1 loyalty card rule. It's good. If you're afraid of the second cylon being stuck in the deck, lose 1 of every resource at the end or something.
2)If a human player is executed, lose the resources listed on their personal goals
3) Shuffle that player's personal goals back into the YANAC deck
4) Only then deal the extra YANAC to the loyalty deck and have the player draw their loyalty.

And maybe, if the execution happened post-sleeper, deal 2 extra YANACs and have the player draw 2 loyalty cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
But executions shouldn't have an impact on cylons. It's just one of a thousand copies.

To increase the impact of executions on the humans, here's what I think.
1) Do use the +1 loyalty card rule. It's good. If you're afraid of the second cylon being stuck in the deck, lose 1 of every resource at the end or something.
2)If a human player is executed, lose the resources listed on their personal goals
3) Shuffle that player's personal goals back into the YANAC deck
4) Only then deal the extra YANAC to the loyalty deck and have the player draw their loyalty.

And maybe, if the execution happened post-sleeper, deal 2 extra YANACs and have the player draw 2 loyalty cards?
In the show, there were a bunch of human jerks too, so some of them getting the chopping block shouldn't have been a hindrance. If anything, it should've been a boon going by that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
And the game does have a way how human execution can be a boon - if the character's skill set, abilities or drawback make them unsuitable for the game the way the cylons have made it. For instance, if there was only one character drawing blue and they revealed, then anyone else getting executed and being replaced by the Chief is a boon.
A strange sort of boon, but so is getting rid of a jerk via their death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
And the game does have a way how human execution can be a boon - if the character's skill set, abilities or drawback make them unsuitable for the game the way the cylons have made it. For instance, if there was only one character drawing blue and they revealed, then anyone else getting executed and being replaced by the Chief is a boon.

yukgulpyuk I came back as chief one game because we needed Repairs. Despite drawing 4 blues over 2 turns, NOT A SINGLE REPAIR! It's worse with him since being denied the bonus action from his special is like a double whammy. Sometimes, it doesn't always work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

yukgulpyuk I came back as chief one game because we needed Repairs. Despite drawing 4 blues over 2 turns, NOT A SINGLE REPAIR! It's worse with him since being denied the bonus action from his special is like a double whammy. Sometimes, it doesn't always work out.

If you don't have anyone who can draw blue, then you're guaranteed to not get a Repair. I'd rather have a small chance than no chance... just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
BosonMichael wrote:
If you don't have anyone who can draw blue, then you're guaranteed to not get a Repair. I'd rather have a small chance than no chance... just sayin'.

CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
BosonMichael wrote:

CP.

...or Research Lab, or Captains Cabin, sure... if you want to spend actions to fish them out. And you still won't have as good of a chance as Chief (or any other blue-drawing player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really need the repair, you surely are willing to use one action and three cards (XO and two CP's) to fish for it. It is not optimal, but that is still much, much less than what an execution and a change to a Support Character costs..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
If you really need the repair, you surely are willing to use one action and three cards (XO and two CP's) to fish for it. It is not optimal, but that is still much, much less than what an execution and a change to a Support Character costs..

In my case, they didn't have CP on hand. And the execution wasn't something we invoked on our own.

Still, point taken is that many people over look CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:

Will agree to disagree with you on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BosonMichael wrote:
a1bert wrote:

Sure, but disagree on what exactly?

You said you wanted a small chance of getting repair rather than no chance. There certainly is a small chance in getting a repair from the Research Lab and using CP, and they are both quicker than executing someone and waiting for their next turn. If you actually meant something else than getting a repair (for example reliably drawing blue throughout the rest of the game), that's a different thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
BosonMichael wrote:
a1bert wrote:

You said you wanted a small chance of getting repair rather than no chance. There certainly is a small chance in getting a repair from the Research Lab and using CP, and they are both quicker than executing someone and waiting for their next turn. If you actually meant something else than getting a repair (for example reliably drawing blue throughout the rest of the game), that's a different thing.

If you need a repair, you almost always need more than one, even if not exactly at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
BosonMichael wrote:
a1bert wrote:

Disagree on whether the cost is too great to make the switch to a support character (or pilot, or whatever is needed). Unless morale is in danger, I'll usually recommend someone "take one for the team", often volunteering myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.