1 , 2  Next »   | 

Nexus Ops» Forums » General

Subject: AH or FFG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Lidin
Sweden
flag msg tools
I found a new wrapped copy of the old Avalon Hill edition in a local shop for 35€. Is it worth picking up or is the Fantasy Flight edition a better game? Which one should I get, need some advice.

vs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly it depends on which pieces/artwork you like better. The FFG version has some extra variants you can use, but since the rulebook is online, and the stats for the variant units is in the picture section on BGG, you can use those variants with either edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Get the Avalon Hill edition. I purposely went out and found myself a copy of it rather than get the version with FFG’s atrociously muddy art direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another difference is that the AH version has the 3D monolith. I much prefer that, as it adds to the thematic feel of fighting for control over a towering monolith, and actually perching on top when you do get it.

But yeah it's really easy to just look at the pics and see which kind of art and minis you prefer. I don't think there are any major differences in game-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people want the AH edition if they can get it. The minis are so pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the FFG version. Much nicer minis. Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read they play exactly the same, so it just comes down to what you like the look of more. Personally I think the FFG version looks just awful, and am very happy with my AH copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Avalon Hill, with custom monolith:

Fantasy Flight:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
The stoner sci-fi art in the AH version rules, and if the minis are still offgassing you can huff them to get in the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Another difference is that the AH version has the 3D monolith. I much prefer that, as it adds to the thematic feel of fighting for control over a towering monolith, and actually perching on top when you do get it.

Said 3D Monolith is also prone to collapsing under it's own weight and is easily damaged. You're mileage may vary, just repeating what I've heard.

I'll echo the sentiment of going with whatever you think looks better, any variant rules can be found on FFG's page for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ex Nihilo wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Said 3D Monolith is also prone to collapsing under it's own weight and is easily damaged. You're mileage may vary, just repeating what I've heard.

Well my mileage definitely varies
I've played my own copy 8 times and someone else's copy once, and the 3D Monolith never came CLOSE to collapsing, can't even imagine how that would happen, even with pieces on top it's still sturdy. And mine so far is not damaged, neither was my buddy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Well my mileage definitely varies
I've played my own copy 8 times and someone else's copy once, and the 3D Monolith never came CLOSE to collapsing, can't even imagine how that would happen, even with pieces on top it's still sturdy. And mine so far is not damaged, neither was my buddy's.

It is cheap cardboard. Easy to damage if not careful with. It can also block peoples view to the other side. Not a problem for me personally but I know people who didn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Avalon Hill, with custom monolith:

Fantasy Flight:

Based on these images, I'd go with AH. The FFG one looks like the minis are fighting in puke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly, the AH version looks cartoony, It really does. It's not BAD, but it's not great either. I don't really have a preference there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be blunt here: the FFG version looks like shit.

How anyone could think it's better than the AH retro sci-fi with nice clean lines is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad FFG reprinted the game-- oh wait...

AH no contest. Play with the blacklight at least once and you will feel the power!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
honestly, the AH version looks cartoony, It really does. It's not BAD, but it's not great either. I don't really have a preference there.

Mainly my issue with the FFG version is that the tiles look really bad on the table, and its hard to tell which is which on top if that. I like the miniatures fine in the FFG version, even though I do have an affinity for the goofy neon AH ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have to agree there. The colors on the FFG tiles are very muted. I think they were trying too hard for "realism" and forgot that it ain't...

honestly I kinda think the old minis looked a bit silly. The new ones look more bad-ass.

The translucent glow in the dark plastic is awesome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Lidin
Sweden
flag msg tools
I'm leaning towards AH version. It just looks clean and the design is lighter/fun and more unique. Which will improve my chances of playing this with my girlfriend. Think she'd be put off immediately by the FFG design. AH is cleaner + it glows in the dark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
To be totally clear on this point: The Avalon Hill minis fluoresce under a black light; they don’t glow in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Lidin
Sweden
flag msg tools
HuginnGreiling wrote:
To be totally clear on this point: The Avalon Hill minis fluoresce under a black light; they don’t glow in the dark.

Thanks! Yes I got that I need black light fixture to get the effect. Which is a must get by looking at the pictures users have uploaded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the FFG version for me. I sold the AH edition after getting FFG's version. The AH edition is cartoony and the figures look like cheap toys from a quarter machine. And how often are you going to play a game under a blacklight? Nothing about that sounds fun.

Also the FFG board looks better in person than in the pictures. It's still not great, but at worst it's just as ugly as the AH edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the FFG edition, I might be biased but it is fantastic. The variants really help too, especially the variant exploration markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
The stoner sci-fi art in the AH version rules, and if the minis are still offgassing you can huff them to get in the mood.

This↑
I've been eying Nexus Ops from a distance for some time now. When an AH copy popped up on Craigslist, I couldn't pass it up. I figured I'd be content with either print, based on the fact that all the second edition additions can be downloaded and incorporated into the first. However, as I inventoried the components (the innards were a mess), I had to hold my head as far from the plastic figures as I could. gulp I started to get a headache from the smell. It even stuck with me a couple of hours afterward (sensitive schnoz).

Still...can't wait to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this with my daughter on the weekend and was reminded what a great game it is.

The secret missions is what really sinks it, I stole victory right at the end by moving my Rubium Dragon onto my daughters home base tile and scoring a sneaky 3 victory points - otherwise I would have lost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.