T Mahar
msg tools
Posted this on the ffg message boards but didn't get any suggestions.

This will be my second tournament. The first one I lost but I partly blame that on a poor TO because he chose no asteroids which is required by ffg rules. Changed the tournament games from 4 to 3 and reduced time cause some had to leave early which I didn't like. If you can't play for the whole event, then don't show, or play, have fun and leave.
Let's just say I'm still pissed when I think about it, and next time I'll speak up. Since it was my first event I didn't want to stir the pot.

I want to fly a list that will win the next event.
Honestly the people at the last one didn't seem that great. I won 2/3 games and only lost my first cause of a miscalculation.
It was a tie swarm who won it, and no asteroids I think gave him a monstrous advantage.

So here is what I'm thinking

1) Tie swarm

2) Daggers x2 Advanced sensors
Biggs
Rookie pilot

The thing about these, is they do well but not very original and are probably very common ( There was one tie swarm in the last game)

The last one im really leaning towards I played the xxbb against it the other night and while I still need some practice with the xxbb build I lost to this next build which my friend and I put together.

Kath Scarlet
Rebel captive
Marksmen

Omnicron pilot
Vader

Omnicron pilot
Sensor jammers
Heavy laser canon

This works very well from what I've seen.
I've gone 3/0 using it and 0/1 going against it.

The pros
3 large ships
30 Hp which is very nice.
I've seen a lot of stress tokens get dished out. One game wedge had 3, and last game my biggs kept getting stressed.

The cons
Only 3 ships

Though there are only 3 ships they do have 10 hp.

The strategy

Start of slow.
Keep kath in front and the shuttle with the hlc in the rear.

User vader to get the free dmg. Yes it does hurt me, but more times than not it seems to pay off for me more than it doesn't, plus it's always optional.

With Kath hope to pass out stress tokens by using marksmen to hopefully increase Mr crits. If they hit bonus. If they get canceled then at least they get stressed.
Also if they shot her, the first ship to Target her will get stress.

The ship with the hlc also had sensor jammer. Hopefully that prevents some dmg. Try to keep vader as far back as possible.

Like I said though, I only played this a few times and is always against the same opponents. They are good players but you never know what other players will do.

I've never used it against a swarm so that is another unknown

The last tournament there were mostly rebel builds. A few using Falcons, one tie swarm, and I think a shuttle, tie,interceptor build.

So which of the 3 builds do you think is best?
Has anyone tried anything similar to the imperial build I mentioned?

Does it sound like a build that will hold up well?

Or should I stock to something that has been known to work well for others?

Only thing is I need practice more with the swarm and xxbb build.
Haven't won a game yet with the xxbb, and only one for one with the swarm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Silva
Canada
flag msg tools
Honestly i'd fly the list your going to have the most fun with. If you want to make it to the final rounds of any tournament you need to have a list that can deal with xxbb, swarms, and interceptors. Other than that, fly a fun list. Even if you don't finish 1st you'll have had a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Mahar
msg tools
Ya having fun is key, but I can be very competitive.
I played the xxbb list against the kath/Omnicron build and lost, but I haven't flown the xxbb list much
After watching the world final game is definitely like to try it again, but I also have to try the kath build again

At the tournament I have a feeling I'll see Falcons and tie swarms like the last one

The other downside to the kath/Omnicron list is 3 ships 3 attack dice each, and very few Def dice.

Xxbb has 4 ships, 3 attack dice each and a little more evade. Plus it only has 4 less hp.

Hmmm decision decisions lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAWK SWARM!!

No one will see it coming! They will be so stunned that you'll have to win.

Take your favs, enjoy yourself, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Mahar
msg tools
Ok,let me ask this

If you were a betting man, would you even consider putting money down on the Kath, Omnicron p
Build that I mention above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krynn007 wrote:
Ok,let me ask this

If you were a betting man, would you even consider putting money down on the Kath, Omnicron p
Build that I mention above?

Depends on the odds you are offering and how you fly it but if I was flying it, I likely would put money on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few lists that I can think of that will give you issues.

Multi-Interceptors

Interceptor/Tie

Double Falcon

The issue w/ shuttles imo is the dial and firing arc. I flew against a list of a firespray, shuttle, and tie bomber. The bomber was the largest threat. The first round of combat consisted of all 4 of my ships firing and none of his returning fire. I had all interceptors and was able to flank him completely thanks to asteroids blocking his ships. I do not think the shuttle got off a single shot. The shuttle can be great, but with two or more, I think you need a more nimble ship to help cover the rear.
The double falcon could give you issues simply because it competes with you on health at 4 less than you. But it has a much better dial and the 360 degree firing.

Of course, there is always a list that is going to be a good 'counter' to your list. It all depends on how well you fly it. The double shuttle w/ Kath definitely has potential. If you fly it, good luck and hopefully able to win a ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Mahar
msg tools
Thanks for your suggestions and ideas
Feel free to post more

I agree about the double Falcons and squints. I haven't flown against them yet, but I did last to it flying xxbb biggs with Daggers

I have until may 31 so I'll practice with it and try the xxbb builds a little more and see which I like better

Really hard to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite builds right now is the Mini Swarm of 4 ships + Howl and then the rest on a nice decked out ship. It could be a interceptor or a BH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.