flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Excerpt from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Chapter 16

During the early chaotic years of the three kingdoms period, Cao Cao's base was located in Yan Zhou, which was surrounded by various warlords. One of these was a minor warlord, Zhang Xiu, who occupied Wan commandery, to the south west of Yan Zhou. Cao Cao viewed Zhang Xiu as a growing threat, and eventually launched an invasion on Wan commandery.

Jia Xu, Zhang Xiu's military strategist, advocated surrender, which Zhang Xiu acceded to. The surrender went well initially, and Cao Cao encamped outside Wan commandery to entertain Zhang Xiu and to let his own armies rest. One night, a drunken Cao Cao sought some female company and his nephew Cao Anmin brought Zhang Xiu's widowed sister-in-law Zou to him. Cao Cao was enamoured by Zou and she was to spend the night with him. Indeed, she remained in Cao Cao's tent for the next few days.

Word soon got to Zhang Xiu, who was naturally enraged by the humiliation. robot Together with Jia Xu, they planned a secret raid on Cao Cao's camps. There was however, one big obstacle, in the form of Cao Cao's bodyguard, the mighty and much feared Dian Wei and his pair of halberds. The plan was to invite Dian Wei to a feast and to get him drunk. Following that, they arranged for Dian Wei's halberds to be stolen, before launching a vicious raid on Cao Cao's camps.

The raid caught Cao Cao and his troops by surprise. The noise awakened Dian Wei from his stupor only to find his halberds gone. He picked up whatever he could find and rushed to the camp's main gates. There, he fought mostly alone against the enemy masses. Despite the odds, he kept Zhang Xiu's raiding army at arm's length, buying valuable time for Cao Cao to escape. Zhang Xiu's troops eventually shot multiple volleys of arrows at Dian Wei, who died standing upright.

In the desperate pursuit by Zhang Xiu's armies, Cao Cao also lost his eldest son Cao Ang, and Cao Anmin. Cao Cao managed to escape, with some injuries. After regaining composure and burying the dead, Cao Cao grieved deeply. cry He lamented,

"Though I lost my eldest son and nephew, I do not feel deep pain. It is the loss of Dian Wei that I am weeping over."

We recently brought our copy of Love Letter along with us for dinner with two good friends. Through the course of dinner and the trip home, we somehow lost the copy. Even more strangely, or perhaps we are getting on in the years and therefore more forgetful, we did not discover the loss until a few days later.

I was quite upset over the loss. Unexpectedly, it was not over the copy of the game, but over the 13 red heart meeples we bought from Meeplesource.com (disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Meeplesource.com). The reason being, a copy of Love Letter is reasonably easy to track down locally, but the heart meeples have to be specially ordered from overseas. We will have to incur the shipping costs and endure the two weeks' wait again. shake

We had previously ordered 100 hearts because we discovered the shipping costs to Singapore is the same for order sizes of up to 100. For some reason, Meeplesource.com sent us 104 hearts, which was just enough to make up 8 sets of 13. We ended up giving away a few sets of 13 hearts to friends who also enjoyed Love Letter, and G4GGed the last set.

Whilst Cao Cao lost Dian Wei forever due to his erm... blunder, we recovered our copy of Love Letter with those oh-so-precious heart meeples. It turned out that we had left it on our friends' car, who then forgot to inform us about it until a week later.

Three Kingdoms Redux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but find this little episode funny. My Significant Other got upset over the loss of the heart meeples rather than the loss of the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I get really bothered by the fact that I lost a piece, and I have been known to spend silly amounts of time looking for them. To this day it bothers me that I have been unable to find a missing red player marker from Lords of Waterdeep (which is likely to be never needed!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.