Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Remora VS Defender Rewards Deck, Can He Draw A Card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would assume this could go either way depending on who I ask....

On the one hand "THE DECK" is the cosmic deck

On the other hand, seems a bit unfair that he can't draw any cards if his opponent simply uses the defender reward deck all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I've house ruled that Remora works on the defender deck as well. So that means if a defender takes 2 normal and 2 defender, Remora gets 1 of each.

Other people may vary, it really depends on the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that Remora draws a cosmic deck car every time either deck is drawn from. So in the above example, Remora would get two cards from the cosmic deck.

But also as above, whatever floats your boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, we've played yet another way ... that Remora is relegated to the cosmic deck. In that same example, we'd only allow him to draw 1 card from the cosmic deck. If the defender didn't want Remora tagging along, he would have had to take all his rewards from the rewards deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
We pretty much have to treat the phrase "the deck" as referring to just the cosmic deck (unless the reward deck is also mentioned). There is no general rule that all such references automatically include the reward deck. (Good thing, too, or we'd have other issues to deal with.)

Remora is unusual in that it has this feeling that we want it to work that way, and it's perfectly fine to house-rule it to do so. But we should be clear that this is a house rule and not the standard interpretation of its game text.

It might be tempting to say that drawing from "the deck" includes the reward deck when the reward deck is somehow involved in the conditions that allow the card draws, but doing so would open the door to other debatable questions like these:

• When Super Converter discards cards from his hand to draw from the deck, if some or all of the cards he discards are reward-back cards, does this mean he can (or must) draw up to (or exactly) the same number from the reward deck?

• If Cryo, Cyborg, Fido, or Wild Warhawk needs to draw a replacement card because of storing, playing, offering, or discarding a reward-back card, is the replacement allowed (or required) to come from the reward deck? (The wordmess printed on Cyborg complicates things, since it doesn't say "the deck" but simply "draw a new card.")

• When Ethic takes compensation from "the deck" instead of his opponent, can he say "since he has a reward card that I could have taken, I get to take one of my compensation cards from the reward deck"? (Same question for other effects that draw cards from a deck in lieu of taking them from a hand, such as Mutant and Sting.)

• Similarly, when Mimic is matching the opponent's hand size, is the deck he draws from (or must it be) based on the cardbacks in that player's hand?

• Do we want Glutton taking 19% of the reward deck as a winning ally?

I hope it's obvious that the only simple, consistent answer to all of this is to say that if the text doesn't specifically allow going to the reward deck, you're limited to the cosmic deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.