Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say for example that I have 10 stability.

The effects of a war cost me 8 gold which I don't have and the famine that round is -3 which I don't have either.

Do I:

A. Subtract the 8 gold from my stability which would leave 2 but not actually reduce my stability because I know it is more. Stability doesn't move, right? Later during the famine (-3) which I also don't have, my stability is able to ignore this

B. Add both resources deficiencies (-11) and subtract them from stability (-1) which causes loss of VPs

"A" seems too easy even though getting high stability in a game can take quite a while to the detriment of other resources and "B" is also when all you lose is a few VPs.

Again I'm probably missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
rougebladez wrote:
Lets say for example that I have 10 stability.

The effects of a war cost me 8 gold which I don't have and the famine that round is -3 which I don't have either.

Do I:

A. Subtract the 8 gold from my stability which would leave 2 but not actually reduce my stability because I know it is more. Stability doesn't move, right? Later during the famine (-3) which I also don't have, my stability is able to ignore this

B. Add both resources deficiencies (-11) and subtract them from stability (-1) which causes loss of VPs

"A" seems too easy even though getting high stability in a game can take quite a while to the detriment of other resources and "B" is also when all you lose is a few VPs.

Again I'm probably missing something.

Stability indeed partially mitigates the effects of the war. You lost the war, so you lose 1 victory point (stability can't help here). Now to the gold penalty: you don't lose any gold because your stability is superior to the penalty. Your stability remains at 10. Would you have had a stability of 7, you would have lost 1 gold.

Stability has no influence on the famine. You have to pay 3 food no matter what. Since you don't have any food you lose 1 victory point and 3 books (if you don't have enough books you lose 1 victory point - again ! - and as many other ressources as the missing books).

In any case (war, famine), your stability remains unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stability does not change when resolving a war. It can be only used to avoid resource loss - either partially or completely, depending on the numbers. In your example:

- here, you pay no gold (Stability is higher than war effect 10 vs 8)

- Stability cannot be used to counter Famine - you pay 3 food normally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stability allows you to ignore the effects of wars (aside from the VP loss) on a one for one basis. Let's say that a war tells you to lose 8 gold for losing that war. If you have 1 stability you will lose 7 gold. If you have 10 stability, you won't lose any gold. You will still lose the VP for losing the war, but you won't lose an extra VP for not having that resource if the resource loss is reduced to 0.

Stability does not allow you to ignore losing resources due to events or famine.

In your example, your 10 stability would allow you to ignore the 8 gold loss. You would still lose a point for losing the war. You will then lose 3 food to famine. As you don't have food, you will lose a VP for not having the food, then lose 3 books instead of the food.

Stability is not changed as a result of reducing the effects of wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach Nations, I explain that stability is your armor class against war losses. :)

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All understood.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.