Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
This is some artwork from a game I'm currently working on with a fellow designer. He also happens to be a graphic designer, and while he is amazing at that kind of work he's pretty new to the realm of board game art. He has been pretty insistent that he does all the art, so I thought I'd get the feedback of the BGG community before we press on.

The game's premise follows time architects (chronotects) mapping the timeline for all the different lives of Hayley Helix. The artwork shown is 3 versions of the title character - Hayley Helix.

Does this artwork look appealing to you or would it turn you off purchasing said game?

P.S. The artwork will actually officially be cut off where the background ends, so she won't look like a feetless ghost.

Treasure Hunter Hayley

World War 1 Pilot Hayley

Viking Hayley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilot's pose and that 3/4 face turn is really good.

The other two poses with that full face front pose feels flat in comparison.

But the art looks great otherwise! i like the out of focus background effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree completely. As a whole, the art is nice, certainly nothing that would put me off buying the game. However the second pose is very nice and has much more character than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artwork looks good enough. Hope game is as well. Best of luck to you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the pilot pose looks wrong - a bit too "swimsuit model" posing. It does at least have better colour choice but that makes it more disconnected from the background.

The Viking pose is unclear, at least with the axe and the face covering.

I'm not quite sure what the intended format is for these: is it the picture of a Viking who happens to be Hayley or is it one of Hayley's holiday snaps "here's me dressed as a treasure hunter"?

The drawing style suggests to me the holiday snaps version should work better because it allows her to stand out from the background in a simpler pose and also smile and occasionally wave to the camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason roach
msg tools
Honestly? that art is a huge turn off as it screams amateur to me. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator myself, i work for a large company up here in Canada, so im used to working with alot of artists and frankly no artist despite what they may think is good at every type of art. Myself for example am horrible at photography, or at least its not up to par of the level needed for professional usage.

Looking at your images there i would say your guy might be ok with graphic design but should leave the illustration work up to someone else.

The problems i have are:

that they look flat

theres no areas of deep shadow where there should be

the line work is poor

the painting is rough and doesnt flow smoothly

there are a few areas where the line work doesnt line up

details are missing in places they are needed ( theres line work missing from hands for example )

also im against using an illustration as the foreground then simply using a stock image, or what i hope is a free to use image, and using a photoshop fliter over top of it.

For me artwork in a game is very important, it gets me into the game as well as getting me to look at a game in the first place. This is something your partner should know being a graphic designer, bad art will prevent alot of people from picking up a game in the first place.

I understand they are being stubbron and i get why, they believe in the game and that it can do well once your finished it and want their art on it for the world to praise and enjoy. However as it stands right now in my opinion your going to turn off potential players with the art as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I like it but the backgrounds should be hand drawn as well, those filtered photos look cheap. It should not take long for a designer to trace those pictures and fill in some color. If the backgrounds are not strictly needed for the gameplay or theme you could even leave them out entirely, making the characters more readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... interesting feedback.

Quick question : what if you got a real model and did photos instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

Seriously? Imho that would be a really bad idea.

Do you know any non-licensed game using photos which does NOT look terribly cheap?

I mean... look at Blood Bound. It's done by FFG, a major player in the boardgame industry. And still it looks so terrible that I lost any interest in the game even though I probably would have liked the gameplay.

I don't like the artwork but it's still way better than using photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It comes across as talented amateur artwork. That can work if you style your campaign as being a couple of ardent amateurs creating something they love - but as soon as you start trying to give a professional impression in the campaign, the art will work against you.

It all depends how you want to be perceived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the art is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaermo wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Seriously? Imho that would be a really bad idea.

Do you know any non-licensed game using photos which does NOT look terribly cheap?

I mean... look at Blood Bound. It's done by FFG, a major player in the boardgame industry. And still it looks so terrible that I lost any interest in the game even though I probably would have liked the gameplay.

I don't like the artwork but it's still way better than using photos.

Flying Frog use photos as a house style across their product range.
Personally I like the result but even with lots of experience, their photos still look like amateur dramatics at best, probably better than most school plays at least.

To get photos to a higher level, especially with the range of pictures you need, would probably take an eye watering budget or a lot of well connected friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the middle one the best, mostly because the character stands out from the background. I think the brown jacket blends into the background on the top, possibly some vines or treasure could help add another color. Similarly, the grey of the mountain seems to blend in with the shoulder on the third.

Lastly, I would rather see less hair in front of Haley's face in the third picture. I get the consistently the artist is using, and the motion adds a cold wind feeling that works with the setting, but I think it blends into the back hair, and flattens the picture.

On a separate note, I would be fine with the art as is, it's better than I could do, and better than some existing games. I personally don't pick games based upon their art, and often admire layout more than artwork. For example, if these were on cards, only the left edge would be visible on a fanned out hand of cards, so I'd want to see the most important information along that side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
leowolfx wrote:
Honestly? that art is a huge turn off as it screams amateur to me. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator myself, i work for a large company up here in Canada, so im used to working with alot of artists and frankly no artist despite what they may think is good at every type of art. Myself for example am horrible at photography, or at least its not up to par of the level needed for professional usage.

Looking at your images there i would say your guy might be ok with graphic design but should leave the illustration work up to someone else.

The problems i have are:

that they look flat

theres no areas of deep shadow where there should be

the line work is poor

the painting is rough and doesnt flow smoothly

there are a few areas where the line work doesnt line up

details are missing in places they are needed ( theres line work missing from hands for example )

also im against using an illustration as the foreground then simply using a stock image, or what i hope is a free to use image, and using a photoshop fliter over top of it.

For me artwork in a game is very important, it gets me into the game as well as getting me to look at a game in the first place. This is something your partner should know being a graphic designer, bad art will prevent alot of people from picking up a game in the first place.

I understand they are being stubbron and i get why, they believe in the game and that it can do well once your finished it and want their art on it for the world to praise and enjoy. However as it stands right now in my opinion your going to turn off potential players with the art as it is.

Mostly agree.

They're okay, but not great.
They look like somebody took hand drawn (pen on paper) illustrations, scanned them in, did some editing in photoshop (minor corrections, smoothing the outlines etc.), then started some digital "inking" and colouring. The result just looks a bit cheap.
What really clashes are the hard edges on the line work, some rough outlines (i.e. the hands), the rushed shading (face) combined with some copay/paste textures from photos. It's okay and it will probably be okay for most people but you won't be able to convince anyone that it's amazing high quality art.
Anyone with a bit of a background in art/graphic design/illustration will immediately see the shortcomings.
(This is coming from somebody who is himself an amateur-selftaught-hobbyist-artist and wouldn't be able to create anything much better but knows his limits)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the blurred background on the pilot and the 3/4 view is appealing and makes it look more realistic. as others have commented before, the forward facing others look flat but i think the blur effect should be used on back grounds. also maybe add a few more trinkets and wear on her clothing just to give the character more depth and history instead of being so untouched and pristine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is barely OK. It wouldn't completely turn me off, but it would do nothing for me to buy the game.

About the idea of using photos, I generally dislike this in games. Flying Frog used to do it, and I only bought one of their games when they switched to actual illustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that the art looks amateurish. It doesn't look bad, but I'd expect it to be less expensive than a professional looking game; even if your game is better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lineart is reasonable and not bad at all but the underlying coloring is just terrible, oversaturated, disjointed and unrepresentative of real shadow and light at all.

Coloring is a highly developed skill. Just take a look at any modern comic book and you'll see just how much coloring matters. It's especially apparent when you realize that all the black lines in a comic book start out black and white only.

Imagine what this great Justice League picture would be without any color. Then imagine it with a bad color job. Sadly that is what your art is suffering from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it looks serviceable, but not great. It doesn't look bad, but it's obviously more amateur level than professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would potentially stop me from getting the game. Art matters- and when it has this kind of look to it, I just can't stand it.

Not trying to criticize the artist of course, but just answering the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinda reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles, but not quite polished enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Well, I find it reminiscent of some French comics in style. If that was what you were going for, okay. If not, then this probably isn't what you want.

I'm just happy she doesn't have huge boobs, a near-non-existant waist, and an anatomically impossible pose (although the pilot is getting there).

Mind you, I find that justice league image to be hideous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:
kinda reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles, but not quite polished enough.

You take that back.

@OP I like the premise a lot, but as the other users have stated, that art would be a dealbreaker for me. I don't want to rag on your artist but the lineart is sub-par, and the design itself is a little too 90s laura croft for me to form any kind of connection to the character.

Honestly if the design was better I wouldn't mind if you used the same picture and just edited it for each costume change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I look at the adventurer's belt buckle or the three different faces that somewhat remind me of Charlie's Angels from 2000, I truely wonder whether your friend's a genius that hides easter eggs, or whether he just didn't take his anatomy lessons in art school.

As others have said, the composition of the pilot image is pretty good - nice contrasts, accents, pose. Still I wonder how many arms and shanks she has. And the pilot's still the best of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.