Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the trigger on this one the other day, and I am super conservative about KS projects. Here's a quick list of the reasons I am supporting this game:

1. Passion. The obvious passion for the theme displayed by the creators. While the closest I get to prepping is watching "The Road" on Netflix, these folks live it and know the subject deeply. It comes through in everything I've seen about the game.
2. Lack of Zombies. I love my Zombicide stuff, but a post-apoc game without them will be refreshing.
3. Update of "Outdoor Survival." I loved that game as a kid, (hey, it was the seventies, choice was wanting) and Survival! looks like a vastly souped-up improvement on that old-school fun.
4. Promised solo play. The quick response by the creators to requests for solo rules is a good sign that they listen to and incorporate feedback from gamers. I believe that any game with a player range that starts at "1" is one with added value.
5. First stretch goal. The 2" miniatures to replace the standees are the first stretch goal, and according to the trenders, likely to be met.
6. Raider expansion possible. If I can add a play-tested PvP option I feel that make my initial investment will be worth it.
7. Sandbox. This game has all sorts of potential for DIY survival game fun.

So there are my reasons for making this my second supported KS project. (The first was Fief.) I am definitely looking forward to getting my copy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Tankboy, It's funny you should mention After Armegeddon! We use that movie as an example in our "Survival Medicine" Lectures when we travel to Events. The main character got a small laceration and waited a few days to seek medical help from the camp "medic" who said the camp had run out of antibiotics already. It is a great example of why everyone should have medical supplies stocked up in cases of disasters.

Also, we already have team play rules in the current rulebook for you to use, if desired. There isn't any action between the teams yet, as they are just trying to find a safe place to live at this point. However, as time goes on (expansions) they will find themselves having to protect their home, add additional territory and increase their resources (sometimes by taking them from others).

Thanks for your support!!!
Amy :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your amazing comment!

We are really passionate about preparedness, I'm glad you "got" that about us. We didn't want zombies because that isn't an actual threat to the world as we know it, but pandemics could be serious. I was looking at Outdoor Survival yesterday, and I think I may have had that game as a kid! The player mats had some graphics I recognized from childhood (1970's also) and my family visited MANY National Parks where this was sold. You never know.

We played so many solo games in the past few days. I think we just about have it finished.

Yes, we are working hard to help make the miniatures stretch goal. The 3D art work is already completed and ready to go.

We spend a lot of time working out the Raider Expansion. It will be great to see the game progress through a timeline that brings characters to a place where they must defend and expand their territory, and increase resources one way or another (PvP). We see this developing like a real break-down of society and possibly a rebuilding after some nasty fighting.

We have already figured out play for 5-8 players (see the FAQs or the comments on KS), are working on a "Race for Survival" mode (which we will put out rules for online) and, like I said earlier, are finishing up the solo play rules soon.

Thanks so much for your comments and support,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the trigger on this one as well, even before my standard "wait for reviews" stance.

What really convinced me was the responsiveness of the creators to suggestions and their participation here on BGG.

I wish more creators took such an active interest in the thoughts and opinions of their KS supporters.whistle

Kudos to Doom and Bloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy, thanks for your kind reply. I like what I'm hearing so far about the Raiders expansion, especially the part about rebuilding. I like the way Doom and Bloom looks for optimism in what is really a very scary theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of this game as well. I have been hesitant about backing for a bit, just due to the fact that I have spent a fair amount of cash on KS projects this month. That being said this looks like it will be a very entertaining game and I'm a big fan of the resource manipulation you can do.

Really hoping it hits some of the extra card SGs just for a little extra variance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Hi War Chief!

I cannot express my gratitude for your support. I know many are "waiting" for reviews, and I promise you we have sent games out for reviews, but all I can do is wait for them to be made at this point. Arrghh...lol!

If you or anyone else has ANY ideas for us, we are happy to help make that a reality. We have already made a solo and 5-8 player rules addition on KS. We are 100% committed to making this game FUN and interesting to all levels of play.

We see limitless possibilities of difficulty in the mechanics, from simple "family" rules to "strategic" levels.

Thanks,
Amy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Andy,

We may have a company name of Doom and Bloom, LLC, but we totally emphasize the BLOOM part with lots of positive messages of hope. Lots of natural disasters are part of our life, but if you sit in a corner and are freaking out, that helps NO one. Thinking about what you can plan and actually do in times of trouble is much more successful if it happens. We hope for the best and plan for the worst.

This game helps you figure out what you may need to plan for and puts you into that worst case scenario.

Hoping for the BEST,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Here is the contest link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1164306/doom-and-bloom-doom-...

Thanks!
Amy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janelle Cooper
United States
Mound Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extaordinary destiny." C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I have never before backed any kickstarter projects, I not only pulled the trigger on this one, but went back and pulled the trigger again the next day.

I love gaming, and most of the history I have learned has been through gaming. Having been a "prepper" since the Cold War/Civil Defense days, I have always tried to raise people's awareness that even having a concept of the need to prepare for tough times beats out being a beggar or worse. Yes, I still have my dogeared copy of Wilderness Survival! I am really hoping that this game (WITHOUT ZOMBIES) can be played with friends, neighbors, coworkers and fellow gamers if only to raise some awareness without the "freak" factor.

As a fellow physician, I congratulate Dr Bones and Nurse Amy on their foray into Public Health and Preventative Medicine through gaming!! Now if only I can find some way to scrape up the cash to become "Doc Brains" in the expansions... Unfortunately I am on disability currently due to a one-in-a-million complication from an outpatient surgery... glad I was educated about the need for disability insurance before it all hit. Maybe I learned about that playing "The Game of Life...."

Janelle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Excerpt from "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy,

"An hour later they were on the road. He pushed the cart and both he and the boy carried knapsacks. In the knapsacks were essential things. In case they had to abandon the cart and make a run for it. Clamped to the handle of the cart was a chrome motorcycle mirror that he used to watch the road behind them. He shifted the pack higher on his shoulders and looked out over the wasted country. The road was empty. Below in the little valley the still gray serpentine of a river. Motionless and precise. Along the shore a burden of dead reeds. Are you okay? he said. The boy nodded. Then they set out along the blacktop in the gunmetal light, shuffling through the ash, each the others world entire.

They crossed the river by an old concrete bridge and a few miles on they came upon a roadside gas station. They stood in the road and studied it. I think we should check it out, the man said. Take a look. The weeds they forded fell to dust about them. They crossed the broken asphalt apron and found the tank for the pumps. The cap was gone and the man dropped to his elbows to smell the pipe but the odor of gas was only a rumor, faint and stale. He stood and looked over the building. The pumps standing with their hoses oddly still in place. The windows intact. The door to the service bay was open and he went in. A standing metal toolbox against one wall. He went through the drawers but there was nothing there that he could use. Good half-inch drive sockets. A ratchet. He stood looking around the garage.
"

...just to get you in the mood !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite McCarthy novel. My Scramble variant was made to simulate this very situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, Janelle, for your input and interest in the project. There aren't too many of us physicians in the survival mindset....

Joe Alton, M.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
An amazing book, blows apart the Hollywood version of survival...

Joe Alton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad you offered this up as a contest as I had no idea about this game at all otherwise. I'm checking everything out on the KS page and am seriously considering supporting the game as I think you've potentially carved yourselves out a nice little niche by not making it another zombie game.

I also see on the BGG page (and the first post) you're considering and/or play testing solo rules -- please do so as I think you'd be surprised how many solo players there are or how many people consider that a huge value. Don't just tack them on if it doesn't make sense, but if you can figure it out, I'm all for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mom4rmhell wrote:

As a fellow physician, I congratulate Dr Bones and Nurse Amy on their foray into Public Health and Preventative Medicine through gaming!!
Janelle

I totally missed this too. I'm not a physician but I teach public health and work in the field. I had the same idea about this game - the potential to get people more interested is certainly there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
This is our first game and there has certainly been a learning curve, especially when it came to reaching outside our core audience in the survival community. We thought we had good input from the gamers that helped us playtest, but the interest from the BGG community and the input on variants helped us understand just how versatile the game really is.

Thanks to all for your comments and support.

Joe Alton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of us really appreciate your willingness to listen to our suggestions and respond to them. It's a refreshing change compared to most KS creators.

Any chance you will be promoting the game at Gen Con? I'd love the chance to sit down and play the game with both of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Solo rules as promised, this is for the basic short game. We are playtesting longer variants.

SOLO RULES (BASIC GAME)

Begin by removing Event! and Bonus! Cards that affect other players. The Attack! Deck is unaffected in the solo game. In total, you will have 38 event cards, 21 bonus cards, and 40 attack cards!

The small destination tokens in the game now become “Turn Tokens”. You have 24 turn tokens in total. At the end of each turn, turn over a turn token to reveal the “X” . This indicates the turn is done. All other rules regarding required asset and locations are in place as you would if you were playing the short game. Pick a large destination token from the felt bag. Your mission is to scout that location, return to Center City, and pick a final destination. The number of turns it takes you to win the game gives you a ranking, as follows:

Out of turns: Rest in Peace (Fail)
23-24 turns: Ragged Survivor
21-22 turns: Veteran of the Road
19-20 turns: Experienced Prepper
18 turns: Intrepid Team Scout
17 turns: Expert survivalist
16 turns: Community Leader
15 turns: : Patriarch/Matriarch
14 turns or less: Founding Father/Mother of the New Society

In this version of the game, skill at using resources will decrease the wasting of precious turn tokens. Use of fuel to accelerate your game seems to be very useful, as is using the Going The Extra Mile mechanic...

We are now playtesting longer solo variants, as well as another variant called "The Race For Survival Expect rules for "Race" by the end of the week.

Joe and Amy Alton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
As promised, the first of our reviews is now in! Thanks to veteran game reviewer NVS Gameplays (YouTube channel: NVS Games) for being the first to give his impressions on Doom and Bloom's SURVIVAL!

His impressions video on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpVg3SCCYGg

His Overview and Rules video on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3fNGWF7S8

Also, thanks to Andrew Pickard, who has put together a couple of variants on the game, including a cooperative version (now in playtesting).

Joe Alton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
We have reached our first stretch goal and (if we stay at that funding level or above by the end of the KS)all backers at the game level or above will receive a set of miniatures of each character in the base game!

The KS project has three days to go, and we are seeing more activity each day. Also, Kae Hutchens of Initiative Tabletop has playtested the game, liked it, and placed a nice comment on the project page. She promises an official review tomorrow, which we will post here.

Thanks again to all our backers!

Joe Alton
Doom and Bloom's SURVIVAL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Members of the survival community are also checking out our game. Adam Francis of the popular Equip2Endure.com has put up a game unboxing video, with a full review to follow (after the KS, though)...

Thanks to Adam Francis for taking the time to put up this video!

Joe Alton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Alton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
As promised, here is initiativetabletop.com's written review of Doom and Bloom's SURVIVAL! We feel that she really hit the nail on the head with regards to the game, and we're glad that she took the time to get it out before the project ends.

You can access the review here:

[url]

http://initiativetabletop.com/2014/05/12/written-review-surv...[/url]

Joe Alton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.