Hide
4 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: House rules to improve the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mr cake
msg tools
The game is great and all but it does need some house rules for balance.

The biggest problem that I encountered is that the players block the doorway and wait for the monsters to come to them one by one since everybody can only move and melee attack horizontally or vertically.

The new rule is that everybody can also move diagonally. More manoeuvrability means less bottlenecks and more action.
As a supplement rule a monster can only move once per turn so players can out manoeuvre monsters but I need to play more high level adventures to see how this works out.

Obviously everybody can also melee attack diagonally now. This also means that players can not use range attacks if they are diagonally adjacent to a monster (even if they want to shoot a different monster).

To make a range attack the player has to be more than one square away from a monster and draw a imaginary line from the middle of the player's square to the middle of the monster's square. If something blocks this line (by another player for instance) the player can't hit the target. However the DM should be lenient and rule in favour of the player from time to time if the line is unclear. Maybe resolve an argument with the star die or the trap die if the line is just skimmed. A star or explosion and the player hits whatever blocked the line.

To speed up the game the players can walk as far as they want if there are no monsters on the board. Players still have two actions every turn and initiative order still counts.
Also the initiative cards are only shuffled when there are no monsters on the board and the players open a new room with monsters. If there are no monsters on the board and the players open an empty room or if there are monsters on the board and the players open a new room with more monsters the initiative cards are not shuffled.

Lidda can move through monsters and has a sneak attack however that action is separate from her move action. Lets say Lidda has a range weapon and stands two squares away from a monster. Lidda could make two normal attacks OR move into the monster space then back again maybe even in the space she started from, then as her second action attacks the monster with a range attack. She can only attack once this way but she is assured a +1 bonus against the monster.
The same goes for melee attacks.

I noticed that battles against big monsters might drag on too long. I was thinking or removing two hp from every monster, then roll the skull die and add a hp for every skull symbol. Statistically this means they have one hp less but individually they now vary in hit points.

Be lenient, improvise, tell the players how bloody the battles are and you have a great time over several gaming sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
mrcake wrote:
The biggest problem that I encountered is that the players block the doorway and wait for the monsters to come to them one by one since everybody can only move and melee attack horizontally or vertically.

Why would the DM send the monsters in a single file straight towards the Adventurers?

Surely the player blocking the doorway would be targeted by enemies sneaking in from either side of the wall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the attack & move diagonally rule. The game does become kinda static with only orthogonal movement and attacking.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is to count diagonal adjacency as 1.5 distance. It gives nice added depth to reach and movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.