• [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a different experience than a 2 or more players game. Generally, you play against a very aggressive opponent, difficult to beat in Military and Books (at least at the beginning of the game), who buys a lot of cards.
The game is all about making the best purchase decisions. The solo mode encourages peaceful play on your part (shadow player does not get a roll after you deploy a worker into a building, so getting blue cards instead military ones can be a good strategy). You also have to invest much in stability (1VP reward for having higher stability than shadow). It's difficult to score VPs for books, especially during 4 first rounds. I find the solo mode quite challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's actually pretty fun. My gaming buddies don't like the game quite as much as I do, so it doesn't hit the table nearly as much as I'd like. I wouldn't pay $100 for the game just to play solo, though. I'd probably be okay dropping $50 for just solo.

Contrary to the other poster, I don't feel that it's too hard to beat the shadow in books, depending on the Nation you pick. I think I got the full 12 points with Egypt and Greece. I dominated in books much more so than I should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it once and was bored to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brice Coullaut
France
Saint-Herblain
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love the solo mode too, i played it about 15 times and don't want to stop this until i succeed the Trajan level ^^ (70vp in a game).

But of course some of negative point :

- very frustrating when the wrong dice come
- hard to build many wonders
- Some of cards are unsuitable for the solo mode.

You can try it on Vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2 solo games to teach myself the game. It worked surprisingly well and made me like the game. Gameplay is somewhat different from multiplayer, but not by that much. At least not when compared to the two-player games that I subsequently played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stafford
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the solo part of this game, because I think it is has a the feel of a different game then a multi-player game. With multi-player you can see what strategy your opponent(s) are leaning towards and act accordingly where in a solo game the ghost player card will adjust their stability and military strength a lot more. The first two ages felt like I was struggling to survive, much like a new civilization, and then the last two ages you can really see the benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usuallu I don't enjoy solo games, but this time I did. It was the best solo boardgame experience I have ever had.

I recommed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tang tang tang
msg tools

The solo is too luck-based for my liking... i would prefer playing multiplayer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.