LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Yo, so, like, I tried a 6 player game where people were chatting a lot and not paying too much attention to the game. It seemed to take forever and was pretty boring. We just did one lap of the recommended starting track. So I want to play the game again and give it a second chance because I really enjoyed playing it two-player with two cars each... how should I so this?

Does the group need to be very focused in order for it to work?
How long is reasonable for people to take making decisions? Should they prioritise speed of decision over quality of decision? Etc... I love this game, but I'm worried about my group not taking to it a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
I mean, obviously the game is gonna play better when the group is focused, but given that the group tends to gravitate towards a lax focus, how problematic is this? Coz this is exactly the kind of game that encourages people to chat away while other people are taking their turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
herbeey87 wrote:
I mean, obviously the game is gonna play better when the group is focused, but given that the group tends to gravitate towards a lax focus, how problematic is this? Coz this is exactly the kind of game that encourages people to chat away while other people are taking their turns.

I guess you could split the game into teams: 3 players Vs. 3 players.

It should make the exchanges more intense and heated. Especially when one players vehicle gets singled out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this is the type of game that you're only going to get frustrated with if you focus and take it too seriously, unless you're running a league and everyone is just as focused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
Team play sounds interesting - should keep people engaged in everything that goes on.

I do wonder whether arcade rules for weapons and bumping, etc should be used too since overdrive does bog things down quite a lot with confusing rules for these things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
herbeey87 wrote:

I do wonder whether arcade rules for weapons and bumping, etc should be used.

Burn it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Powers T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm, does the lack of focus a game problem or gaming group problem ? Or do you mean that this game have a lot of downtime in between turns ? Even something like Ticket to Ride have downtime in between turns although not so much ( I have experience this with certain groups).

The problem could be that the next player taking too long to think ? AP or maybe just a lack of understanding of the game, for instance when playing new games most people won't know the proper strategy to take on their turn.
In this scenario, playing more games, will help. Maybe when playing with 4 ppl, you divide into 2 groups and each have a 1 on 1 game with a shorter track, this way each person can play much quicker and get a better understanding of the game, then only after several gaming sessions you guys can go for a 4 way proper death race match. Personally I don't think there need to be much deliberation in this game, unlike Formula D where you need to consider slowing down, in this game most of the time you just go full speed ahead and think abt which weapon to use.

Alternatively, put a clock on each players turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.