Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Poll: Is R5-K6 Worth it if he costs 1 point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

Poor little R5-K6. No one uses him because well, you know, he kind of sucks.

The question is, would he still suck at 1 point? Would you run him?

Poll
Would you pay 1 point for R5-K6?
Yes
No
      81 answers
Poll created by R2EQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many things that can be done with 2 squad points, that a possibility for a free target lock just isn't that appealing. The Fire Control System is a guaranteed free target lock at 2 points, and it's not used that often either (though it's not really fair to compare droids to system upgrades, and the FCS competes with Adv. Sensors). There are a number of times where you are weighing out the options of what to do with that one last squad point, so this would add one more option to the list - never a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I can safely say I have never considered using this astromech ever, I would rather have the r2 or r5 generic than this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's not about the points, it's about the utility. Kaysix is a less than 50% chance of re-locking the same ship. If he let you lock a new ship, or reliably locked the same ship, he'd be worth the droid slot. As it is, he's not, there's better things I can put back there - and with the Transport's droids and the R7s on their way, the pressure for what ought to be in the socket gets even tighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This little guy was an MVP in a squad with Dutch recently. If Dutch's using an Ion Turret, he isn't likely to kill his opponent and a couple extra TLs can help when other ships are packing missiles and torpedoes. Unfortunately, he is pretty unreliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:
..there's better things I can put back there - and with the Transport's droids and the R7s on their way, the pressure for what ought to be in the socket gets even tighter.

Are there better droids? Definitely! But I'm saying would he be worth 1 point compared to other 1 point droids? Sometimes you have one or two points left in a list right?

The 1 point droid in the transport just sucks. It's not even worth looking at. You need to have 3 hits against you (crits don't count) after you cancel all hits. Super rare, better to have initiative or just an R2. It might work on a Y-Wing.

R2's are great after a K-turn.

R5's are ok on Y-Wings.

R5-K6 works 38% of the time. Technically not even half as good as a Fire Control lol.

I was just wondering if people would run him if he was 1 point. Personally I'm not sure, but it would definitely give me pause if I had 1 point left in a list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
This little guy was an MVP in a squad with Dutch recently... Unfortunately, he is pretty unreliable.

Dutch is probably his best fit. When he works out he's great but generally, over the course of many games he will not work.

With a 38% success rate he just sucks and he cost two points on top of that! I'd take a flechette torp over him any day.

Even at 1 point I'm not sure I'd take him. Maybe on Dutch for 1 point as a success with R5-K6 will translate into 2 target locks, not just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it was worth 0 I'd take it if I have no points left, otherwise I would take R2 for 1 point. I find the extra green to be well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Brown
Australia
Ballarat
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Y wing with dual protons against a huge ship...even then though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lutovsky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, he's trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
I would play him if he's worth 1 point. His effect is still good enough to consider having, even if you are not Dutch. Even more so when opponents tend to have higher hp nowadays and can be expected to stick around for quite some time, eg. large ships, Bwings etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
I would play him if he's worth 1 point. His effect is still good enough to consider having, even if you are not Dutch. Even more so when opponents tend to have higher hp nowadays and can be expected to stick around for quite some time, eg. large ships, Bwings etc

But for only a 3/8 chance of locking the target?

Particularly compared to the 'fire control system', that is more than twice as reliable (it does the same thing, but works EVERY time) for only 2 points.

IMHO, even knocking it down to 1 point, you'd need to increase the odds to make it a 50/50 thing. IE., instead of rolling a 'defense' dice, roll an 'attack' dice, with any hits or crits providing you a lock.

That would make more sense - half as reliable, but only costs half as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
when I'm using R5K6 that costs 1 point, chances are my list is at 99 points and I'm looking for something to bleed off that 1 point. So I would be chucking things like R5 astromech, Determination, Adrenaline Rush, etc things that honestly doesnt do much anyway. R5K6 similarly falls under this category if it costs 1 point, so Im fine with it being a bit wonky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I can't see how you can compare him to FCS, as they are two different slots. Sure the FCS is better, but seeing as you can't have both a System and a Droid, I think the point is moot.

Even at a 38% chance to re-lock, I still consider that a 38% chance of getting a free action you won't need to worry about next round on ships that can't even benefit from the FCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojobacca wrote:
Sure the FCS is better, but seeing as you can't have both a System and a Droid, I think the point is moot.

The E-Wing can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

IMHO, even knocking it down to 1 point, you'd need to increase the odds to make it a 50/50 thing. IE., instead of rolling a 'defense' dice, roll an 'attack' dice, with any hits or crits providing you a lock.

That would make more sense - half as reliable, but only costs half as much.

That's a good point, about being half the expected output for half the price.

If R5-K6 cost 1 point and gave a 50% chance of re-acquiring a target lock I think I'd take him on an X-Wing instead of an R2, and for sure i'd throw him on Dutch.

Thematically it would make sense too, an older version of fire control that wasn't as reliable.

It's interesting to see that the poll is showing a 55% for and 45% against split on whether he'd be worth even 1 point. I haven't voted because I honestly don't know if I would take him at 1 point, and wanted to see what the community thought.

The poll also reinforces how bad R5-K6 is. Poor little guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
Vagabond Elf wrote:
..there's better things I can put back there - and with the Transport's droids and the R7s on their way, the pressure for what ought to be in the socket gets even tighter.

Are there better droids? Definitely! But I'm saying would he be worth 1 point compared to other 1 point droids? Sometimes you have one or two points left in a list right?

Sure, but my position is that the real question is not "is Kaysix worth 1 or 2 points?" but rather "is Kaysix worth using up the Droid slot?" And for me, the answer is pretty much always "no." Even a Generic R5 can be more useful.

And with the new Initiative rules - low point list decides who goes first - burning off that point so you don't get initiative is even less necessary. (Even if it was, Generic R2, Generic R5, and Adreneline Rush are all better ways to burn a point, and when the Zed comes out, Munitions Failsafe is an easy way to burn a point too.)

So yeah, as he stands, there's just better droids to take. It's not about the point cost, it's about the utility.

Quote:
The 1 point droid in the transport just sucks. It's not even worth looking at. You need to have 3 hits against you (crits don't count) after you cancel all hits. Super rare, better to have initiative or just an R2. It might work on a Y-Wing.

On a Y-Wing, if you're willing to eat the stress, Arfour does serve to guarantee it will take at least four attacks to kill you. That's not nothing. I'd consider him on someone like Horton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond Elf wrote:
..there's better things I can put back there - and And for me, the answer is pretty much always "no." Even a Generic R5 can be more useful.

And with the new Initiative rules - low point list decides who goes first - burning off that point so you don't get initiative is even less necessary. (Even if it was, Generic R2, Generic R5, and Adreneline Rush are all better ways to burn a point, and when the Zed comes out, Munitions Failsafe is an easy way to burn a point too.)

So yeah, as he stands, there's just better droids to take. It's not about the point cost, it's about the utility.

Those are fair points Vagabond, especially about the initiative bid. You can't put adrenalin rush on every X-Wing though. The only way to make a Rookie better is to put a droid on him or turn him into a B-Wing.

Munitions Failsafe might see some use with flechette torps, you miss with the torps and yet you still cause stress. A good combo.

I see what you're getting at though. A 38% chance to re-acquire a target lock is not good utility for you, even at one point. Hard to argue against that.

Vagabond Elf wrote:
On a Y-Wing, if you're willing to eat the stress, Arfour does serve to guarantee it will take at least four attacks to kill you. That's not nothing. I'd consider him on someone like Horton.

The thing is that crits don't count towards the droids trigger. I tried him in one game only, and his ability almost came up but there was a crit in there lol. Granted it was only one game but it did seem like a wasted point when I started considering how often he would trigger. Maybe on a Y-Wing, and Y-Wings might make a comeback with flechette torps imho. Still, it's too early to tell but I'm leaning towards selling him to the local jawas so R5-K6 can have a friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's a 60/40 split.

Looks like a slight majority would take R5-K6 if he only cost 1 point. My guess is that people are seeing the synergy with Dutch worth the point.

It was an interesting debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R2EQ wrote:
So it's a 60/40 split.

Looks like a slight majority would take R5-K6 if he only cost 1 point. My guess is that people are seeing the synergy with Dutch worth the point.

It was an interesting debate.

Another option might have changed the vote, or even two:

- He's fine as-is (strangely, some people seem to actually believe that, and I have no idea how they'd vote with just the above two choices)
- He'd need to be reduced to one point along with other tweaks (using an attack dice to get a 50/50 outcome instead of 3/8 as one example...which is my opinion - so I voted 'no' although I *DO* think a one-point-cost a good first step, it's just not enough)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xander I agree with everything you've said and I think the 50/50 option for 1 point is the best suggestion in this thread.

For arguments sake, how about changing his ability to read, for 1 point

"After spending your target lock, or after your target lock token is removed, roll 1 defense die. On an evade result (so still 38%) you may immediately acquire a target lock on the same ship, or any ship within range."

So he still sucks at locking on, but will allow you to lock onto anything - which is better than Fire Control. He is also a defense against token stripping from the likes of Wes Jansen and if your target locked ship blows up, you might be able to acquire a new lock for free.

Just a thought to make him a little unique and yet not overpowered.

Personally, as Garvin's Droid, I think he should have had a focus based ability. But that ship has sailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wilson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this droid is worth negative 2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.