Dan Call
msg tools
Global: Pay (mask) to reroll a villain die.

Is that only rerolling your own villain dice? Suppose I have Magneto as a Level 2. Wouldn't my opponent immediately reroll him? That would be a bummer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Unless an ability specifies "your" or "an opponent" it's effect applies to any character; in this case, yes, you're opponent could pay [Mask] to reroll your Magneto die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a really weird card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's what I like to call a "hard counter". If a villain deck starts trashing the metagame, people will start packing this card as a counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Plus your opponent has to actually have a mask energy which means they didn't spend it last turn which is probably a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edictzero
msg tools
in a recent game my opponent had that card and a Dr. Doom die out, so I used the global hoping to get rid of Dr. Doom but just ended up making him stronger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
Rolled dice are considered what their face is. If it shows a character it's a character die if it shows energy it's an energy die. Is Magneto always a villian die, in addition to whatever other kind of die it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NewPalpatine wrote:
Rolled dice are considered what their face is. If it shows a character it's a character die if it shows energy it's an energy die. Is Magneto always a villian die, in addition to whatever other kind of die it is?

Good question! I hadn't thought of it that way. This calls for another look at the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I've found something definitive on this... from the rules

Unless otherwise stated, game effects can only target character dice that are in the field.

When you reroll a die, it stays in the same area it was in unless (a) otherwise specified by the card text for the resulting face, or (b) it’s in a location that the die face cannot be (for example, an energy result in the field). If the die face cannot be in the specified location and its fate is not specified in the card text, move the die to the reserve pool.

If you force a villain to reroll, and it becomes an energy, it is removed from the field to the reserve area. Once that die is no longer in the field, it is no longer a valid target for Magnetos effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, a villain die does not denote the face of the die.
A villain die is still a villain if it shows energy or a character.

This was also somewhere else in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think until there is an official FAQ/response, play it how everyone at your game agrees or flip a coin if no one agrees just so the game could continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Yes, it's a really weird card.

It seems to me to be necessary since some of the villain synergies can be nasty, especially if you're not fielding any villains yourself. Remember, the character doesn't have to be in play (or even purchased) in order to use the global effect. I suspect it will be a useful equalizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
Quote:
Unless otherwise stated, game effects can only target character dice that are in the field.

So it doesn't matter because Magneto can only target a Villain die in the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
No, a villain die does not denote the face of the die.
A villain die is still a villain if it shows energy or a character.

This was also somewhere else in the forums.

So are you saying you can use Magneto's global to re-roll a villain die anywhere (used pile/reserve/field)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you, for example, rolled and rerolled a Dr Doom die and got energy both times, you could spend a mask to roll him for a third time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath K
United States
Sabina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoratio wrote:
I think if you, for example, rolled and rerolled a Dr Doom die and got energy both times, you could spend a mask to roll him for a third time.

As stated earlier in the thread, it states in the rules that effects can only target fielded dice (unless otherwise noted).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Heath said. The fact that the die is a villain is irrelevant. You CANNOT target a die in the reserve pool with Magneto's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A villain die is a villain die no matter where it is located. But effects can only be used on fielded characters.

In the future, there may be a card that says the first villain die field costs twice the energy. I assume the used the word 'die' instead of 'character' to save room on the card. But then there is heavy text cards like V.Shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting progressively more disappointed with WizKids and the designers lack of any kind of coordinated response on a lot of these rule questions.

They totally f-ed up the release along with all the production and distribution logistics, the least they could do is actually clarify some of the things that their free beta testing service (a.k.a. all of us) are bringing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.