sean finlay
Australia
Gymea
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created this variant as I found that completing a game of Runebound wasn't possible on a work night. I have played this variant numerous times with friends and completed the game within 2 to 3 hours.

The Hunt for Vorakesh.

Players must find Vorakesh and prevent him from reaching a town, where he will perform a terrible ritual to complete the awakening of Margarth.
Players must also defeat Lady Vorakesh and Sir Vyleen.

All three villains must be removed from encounters pile and placed to the side of the game board. Lady Vorakesh recieves +1 Health. Vyleen receives a +2 Mind. Vorakesh receives + 2 Health, and 1 market card, face down, before game begins, which will be revealed and used by him once he is active. An Ally card is swapped for a green monster which must be defeated first before facing Vorakesh with no refresh phase. An Artifact is exchanged for a random ability bonus chit.

There are several ways to find Vorakesh and begin the final phase of the game:

1. Defeat Lady Vorakesh (placed at the beginning of the game on a random town) to reveal the location of Vorakesh. Players then have 1 full turn each before Vorakesh appears and moves to the nearest town, and before Sir Vyleen appears and attacks the closest player to Vorakesh.

2. Succeed at an ability test (20), players choice, after collecting clue tokens. Players recieve 1 clue token per mention of Vorakesh in the title or description of any card. An Event which mentions Vorakesh gives all players a clue token. Clue tokens are spent to recieve +1 on an ability test roll. Once successful, players receive 1 full turn each before events unfold.

3. At the beginning of Doom Track 4 Vorakesh is revealed and begins moving to the nearest town regardless of clue tokens, presence of Lady Vorakesh etc. Sir Vyleen also appears and attacks the closest player. You can, as an option, have Lady Vorakesh also attack the closest player (closest to her) if she is still active.

Once Vorakesh is revealed (at a random red counter location) he immediatelly moves 2 spaces per turn directly towards the nearest town ignoring any undefeated monsters. He will fight any character he passes through.

Sir Vyleen: the bodyguard and assassin of Vorakesh. Once Vorakesh is revealed and begins moving to the closest town, Sir Vyleen will attack the closest player to Vorakesh (if there are 2 or more equidistant players then the more experienced player will be attacked). The combat will occur on the players turn, as if encountering an adventure jewel, but with no Refresh phase. If Vyleen knocks out the player, he moves to attack the next closest / experienced player to Vorakesh, regardless of distance, on the same turn that Vorakesh moves. If Vyleen is defeated, player recieves xp etc but turn ends.

Once Vorakesh reaches an unoccupied town the game is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hornburg
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting and I want to try it.

I haven't played in awhile for just the reason you stated, too long on a work night.

When you say you are able to finish your scenario in 2-3 hours, how many people are you playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean finlay
Australia
Gymea
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pete, usually 3-4 of us. Runs well for a week night.

I've recently done something similar with Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool idea. basically substituting some level ups with vorakesh tokens is the basic idea?

how many cards are there that mention vorakesh - must be about 5 - 8? If I recall, none of the cards in the encounter expansions have mention of vorakesh, so have to stick to the base encounter deck?

my 2 sons and i are able to get in a regular game in about 2 - 2.5 hours, but we would never play with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean finlay
Australia
Gymea
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Making characters like Vorakesh a bit tougher by using level up tokens and market cards. Simple idea and makes a short themed game when using the Doom Track.
I use the core base game encounter cards, the Shadows of Margath expansion, and one of the many other expansions. Players were still able to collect enough clue tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.