Starfire» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Play By Forum Game Anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired the 1984 boxed set edition of Starfire and would love to play it. Of course, the last time I had a gaming group was about 1994. So I was thinking about playing here on BGG by forum.

I've had a lot of success playing CCGs here on BoardGameGeek using the forums. I think a wargame like Starfire would lend itself even better to forum play, especially since the hex map is numbered and the movement system is one hex per impulse. It would be simple to record hex to hex displacement in a single post to a thread, and the dice rolling function would be used to resolve weapons fire.

If anyone out there has the 1984 (or 1979) edition and wants to play by forum, let me know.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first three editions and would be willing to give it a try, but I haven't played it for 30 years.

There is a vassal module which might make things easier.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Starfire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal? I've heard of it in passing, but am unfamiliar with the details. Thank you for the link; I'll check it out and see what it's all about.

I was an old SFB player long ago and have never played Starfire. I recently acquired a copy and a quick perusal through the rules makes me want to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal just lets you move the counters around a board and keep track of things but I think it can be used for email or play-by-forum style games. We could maybe try a small scenario like the first introductory one in the first rulebook. I'm not sure which edition you have because there are so many.

I'm thinking of this rulebook (1979):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the boxed edition from 84:

I think the intro scenario may be the same. It's a training scenario with a CL and a few smaller ships per side. It looks like the ships are identical on their respective control sheets. The next scenario in my rulebook is the one with the Terran ship Discovery encountering Khanate ships for the first time and having to exit with operable Science equipment.

I still have to read more on Vassal, but it might be just the thing. I travel a lot for business, and being able to keep track of the counters electronically would allow us to play while I was on the road, as long as I have connectivity. I'll read up on it tonight. Honestly I didn't expect any replies, let alone one so quickly. This is great and I'm definitely interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've downloaded and read up on the Vassal program. Very cool and easy.

The only trepidation I have, is that any email-based game would move at a glacial pace. If I understand the Starfire rules correctly, declaration of ship movement and ship weapons firing alternates between individual ships of each player.

If we exchanged a Vassal play-log for each move or shot, wouldn't that take forever?

I'm still willing to try, just wondering if it's going to be too painful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know to be honest. My experience with pbf games is similar. It only tales one person not to post to basically stop a game for days. But then some days everyone is online all day and the games goes very quickly.

That's why I think we could perhaps give a small (2?) ship scenario a try and see how it goes. At least with vassal we wouldn't have to have a board set up somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I travel a lot on business so I may be that person who stops the game.

I'm keen to try though, and I'll be home this weekend. How about we play the "First Contact" scenario, starting Saturday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - OK let's try it out.

When I get home I'll check the scenario so we can confirm that we are both using the same one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have vassal set up. It looks like first contact is already set up in the module so shall we just proceed with that using log files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got it set up as well. Do you have a preference for which side? I do not. Should we roll 2d6, with high roll getting the choice of faction?

if so, here is my roll: 2d6 = (5 + 2) = 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541947. pahoota
  • 2d6 =
  • (5 + 2) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 2:43 pm
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My roll is 1d6 + 1d6 = (2) + (5) = 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541992. CletePurcel
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (2) + (5) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 7:32 pm
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Guess we should reroll:

1d6 + 1d6 = (6) + (2) = 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541993. CletePurcel
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (6) + (2) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 7:33 pm
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2d6 = (6 + 2) = 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541994. pahoota
  • 2d6 =
  • (6 + 2) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 7:33 pm
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang. 2nd reroll...2d6 = (6 + 4) = 10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541995. pahoota
  • 2d6 =
  • (6 + 4) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 7:34 pm
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reroll:

1d6 + 1d6 = (1) + (3) = 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 541996. CletePurcel
  • 1d6 + 1d6 =
  • (1) + (3) =
  • Sat May 3, 2014 7:35 pm
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK then. I'll take the Terrans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I think I have run through the first turn as I always have initiative and you only move 3 hexes straight.

I now have a log file to send you. Maybe you can geekmail an email address and I can send it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming at you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.