Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Today my wife and I had our first run through of 7 Ronin. It seems quite a fun little game, with some interesting decisions and constraints, and we are keen to play more. Thought I would just seek clarification of a few things in (or not in) the Rules:

1. The Animal Pen Special Ability lets the Attacker choose 1 ronin and force them to remain in the same place (therefore not being part of the planning and placement phase of the next round). Can this happen to a ronin who is in the Green?

[While the detailed rule just refers to the ronin not being taken off the board, my initial interpretation is No, as (1) the detailed rule says the ronin must stay in the same 'area' and the Green is not a Village Area, and (2) the rule on ronin versus ninja in the Green seems to presume the ronin will be 'deployed' or 'sent' there. But it's not made entirely clear.]

2. The Burial Grounds Special Ability says the Attacker 'removes up to 2 Ninja Markers' from the Village Board and puts them in the Reserves. Is this optional - ie, can the Attacker who is occupying the Burial Grounds choose not to move any ninjas that round?

[My tentative interpretation is No, the Attacker must move 1 or 2 ninjas as the rule's wording does not seem to make it optional.]

3. Yumi's Special Ability allows the Defender to remove 1 Ninja Marker from the Attacker's Reserves. Does this go into the Ninja Pool?

[I would say Yes, but in other instances the Rules specifically say this.]

4. The hardest one (for us) - The Rules are very clear that the Attacker cannot deploy less Ninja Markers in a round than the current Round's Number (ie, 6 ninjas in Round 6 etc). But what happens if the Attacker (through bad play or bad luck) does not have sufficient Ninja Markers in their Reserves to do so? Is this a Win for the Defender (even if there are still ninjas on the Village Board)? - it does not seem to be one of the listed Victory conditions. Or is it a Draw? Or ...? The Rules don't seem to provide an outcome for this - other than it being clear that is not supposed to happen blush

We would be grateful for any guidance on the above. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adamson
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try to help with your questions if I can:

1 - No. The green is totally immune to all effects and special abilities.

2 - I believe that any special ability would be up to the player's discretion, and therefor optional. But, all of the village area special abilities benefit the attacking ninja, and should probably be used.

3 - Yes, the removed ninja marker goes into the ninja pool (not the reserves) and is thus out of the game.

4 - The attacker continues to deploy any ninja markers that they do have in their reserves until there are none left. The defender does not win, however, until all ninja markers are eliminated from the reserves as well as village board, or by simply surviving until the end phase of the 8th and final round, thereby defending the village until the ninja starve themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger's Nest
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi!

It's Marek, one of the designers of 7 ronin. A quick reply for your doubts.

1 and 3 - exactly as Jason wrote.

2 - all special abilities are optional, be they ronin or ninja special abilities. Therefore, you don't have to use Burial Grounds if you don't wish so but just as Jason said usually you use them because they're beneficial.

4 - Ok, we're now preparing a clarificiation, but generally it works this way.

Now this rule says:

- The Attacker cannot deploy less Ninja Markers than the current Round Number. For example, in the 2nd round he must deploy at least 2 Ninja Markers.

The attacker must deploy at least as many ninja markers as the round number, so in the 5th round = 5 ninja. But only if he's able to do so - i.e. if he has 3 ninja in the 5th round he must deploy 3 but if he cannot he doesn't lose. Exactly as Jason wrote, he only loses if he doesn't counquer 5 areas till the end of the 8th round or loses all ninja from the board and his/her reserves.

But after clarification the rule will look like this:

- The Attacker cannot deploy less Ninja Markers than the current Round Number or the current Threat Level, whichever is lower. If he cannot deploy the minimum required number of Ninja Markers, he must deploy all Ninja Markers currently at his disposal. For example, in the 2nd round he must deploy at least 2 Ninja Markers.

I hope it's clear now. If you have any more questions, let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks very much for the official clarification, Marek. And thanks Jason for your answers too.

I think all the outcomes you say are good ones, but I do think points 2 and (particularly) 4 should be clarified in any rules update.

As regards your revised wording for 4, I would suggest the order of the second and third sentences be reversed, so that it reads:

Quote:
The Attacker cannot deploy less Ninja Markers than the current Round Number or the current Threat Level, whichever is lower. For example, in the 2nd round he must deploy at least 2 Ninja Markers. If he cannot deploy the minimum required number of Ninja Markers, he must deploy all Ninja Markers currently at his disposal.

Thanks again to you both for your replies, and thanks to you Marek for a cool little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mb
I have also some questions regarding the rules:

1. How many ninjas can be put in play every turn?
Is it the green arabic number on the time counter?

2. How many ninjas can be put on a special location/area each around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
1. How many ninjas can be put in play every turn?
Is it the green arabic number on the time counter?

As I understand it, under the Rules the Attacker must deploy each round at least the number of Ninjas equal to the Round number (unless s/he cannot do so, in which case as many as possible). Seemingly the rules are going to be modified (see above) so that s/he must place at least as many as the Round number or the Threat level, whichever is lower (unless they cannot do so etc).

The Round number is the Roman number on the Time Track, and the Threat level is the Arabic number.

Quote:
2. How many ninjas can be put on a special location/area each around?

I'm not sure about 'special' areas/locations, but if that is the Village Areas, the Attacker can put Ninjas on a number of Village Areas that is not more than the current Threat level. On any single Village Area, the maximum number of Ninjas that can be placed - "the area limit" - is shown by the little squares marked in various ways (rather cleverly, I think) on the board near the outer edges of each Area (subject to the Green special ability rule).

I hope that helps - and I hope it is right ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.