Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started learning this game. I have come across three confusing situations.

1. If a two-step unit is surrounded, and suffers a one loss, it will be captured as it can't retreat. Will that army lose two points of morale, one for the step loss and another for the capture of the unit?

2. Leaders must be stacked with units to apply their command value. They need to be adjacent to use combat chits. Do they need to be stacked with units to apply their combat modifer?

3. Is army morale affected by retreat results?

And a fourth question,

4. If two surrounded units are forced to retreat, does that army's morale godown two points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
1. If a two-step unit is surrounded, and suffers a one loss, it will be captured as it can't retreat. Will that army lose two points of morale, one for the step loss and another for the capture of the unit?

No. The unit is captured instead of suffering the step loss.

da pyrate wrote:
2. Leaders must be stacked with units to apply their command value. They need to be adjacent to use combat chits. Do they need to be stacked with units to apply their combat modifer?

No. This is confusing, and I played this one incorrectly for a long time. To use the Close Combat DRM, they need only be adjacent to one of the units involved in the battle. (Assuming they may command them. In Saratoga, green-striped Knyphausen could not use his Close Combat DRM in a battle involving red-striped units). The Leadership DRM (middle value on the counter) may only be used to rally and conduct morale checks for units they are stacked with.

da pyrate wrote:
3. Is army morale affected by retreat results?

No.

da pyrate wrote:
4. If two surrounded units are forced to retreat, does that army's morale godown two points?

Yes. And the attacker's AM goes up by 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If a 2 step unit takes a 1 step loss, it simply takes the loss and remains in place. Since it is the lead unit, it does not have to retreat and is therefore not captured.

Quote:
Do they need to be stacked with units to apply their combat modifer?

No. This is confusing, and I played this one incorrectly for a long time. To use the Close Combat DRM, they need only be adjacent to one of the units involved in the battle.

No Chris, you had it right the first time! Leaders need to be stacked with at least one unit participating in the attack in order to contribue their close combat DRM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
rfdoane wrote:
Quote:

If a 2 step unit takes a 1 step loss, it simply takes the loss and remains in place. Since it is the lead unit, it does not have to retreat and is therefore not captured.

Quote:
Do they need to be stacked with units to apply their combat modifer?

No. This is confusing, and I played this one incorrectly for a long time. To use the Close Combat DRM, they need only be adjacent to one of the units involved in the battle.

No Chris, you had it right the first time! Leaders need to be stacked with at least one unit participating in the attack in order to contribue their close combat DRM.

Is this specified in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rfdoane wrote:

Right, of course (slaps head). David, if there were other defending units in the hex, they would make morale checks and retreat upon failure -- which, in the example you describe, would lead to capture. The lead unit stands and covers them.

rfdoane wrote:

Gah! I should have known that. I mixed it up with the rule for tactics.

My original misinterpretation of the rule was that the Close Combat DRM acted in the same manner as the Leadership DRM and could only be applied to attacks from a single hex. I wonder what creative misinterpretation I'll arrive at next time...

Thanks for the clarifications, Rob, and apologies to David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doane
United States
Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is this specified in the rules?

1 step loss is explained on p.9 of the series rules. The leadership issue is not quite as clearly stated, but if you look at 14.1 and 14.21, you'll see that leaders need to be stacked with units to be in command, and that only leaders who are in command can provide DRMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.