Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I am still having trouble with the Critical Hit rules when firing a Bazooka 3 hexes away at a fortifed building +4 TEM at 1 MMC of infantry and no other modifiers. I rolled a 2 on the initial to hit attempt. I know that if I rolled a 2 with ATT and VTT it would have been a critical hit in most situations. The issue I have is with the ITT. I worked out that to hit was a 7 and with the modifiers I had rolled a 6 and since it was more than 1/2 of the to hit number no critical hit occured? Would this be correct. I have been going over this part of the rule book time and time again and I just can't seem to get a good handle on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
E Burden
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do all the math first.

The To Hit # is X.

Your DR +DRM needs to be < X/2.

DO NOT DO THIS...

Do not figure out what you need to roll and think rolling less than half that is a CH.

Example:
To Hit is 8.

DRM is +1.

DR = 3.

Is this a Critical Hit?

It is true that you need a 7 to hit. So if you roll a 3, that is less than half of 7, correct? Is this a CH? NO, DO NOT DO THIS.

The correct answer is 3 + 1 is 4, 4 is not < 8/2 (4 is not less than 4). So it is not a CH.

Do the math as the rules state, it works out that way.

If you roll a 2 and it is not a CH as above, then you can still get a CH with a roll of a '1' on a subsequent dr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Assuming the 1,1 DR is a hit, it is a CH when firing a BAZ. A BAZ isn't using the ITT, so "the Final DR < modified TH #" doesn't apply.

C3.7:
"...or on an Original TH DR of 2 on the Area/Vehicle Target Type or on a LATW TH Table..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Assuming the 1,1 DR is a hit, it is a CH when firing a BAZ. A BAZ isn't using the ITT, so "the Final DR < modified TH #" doesn't apply.

C3.7:
"...or on an Original TH DR of 2 on the Area/Vehicle Target Type or on a LATW TH Table..."

We need to Download Klas' brain into the 3rd edition e-Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
[q="Tompy"]Do all the math first.

The To Hit # is X.

Your DR +DRM needs to be < X/2.

DO NOT DO THIS...

Do not figure out what you need to roll and think rolling less than half that is a CH.

Example:
To Hit is 8.

DRM is +1.

DR = 3.

Is this a Critical Hit?

It is true that you need a 7 to hit. So if you roll a 3, that is less than half of 7, correct? Is this a CH? NO, DO NOT DO THIS.

The correct answer is 3 + 1 is 4, 4 is not < 8/2 (4 is not less than 4). So it is not a CH.

Do the math as the rules state, it works out that way.

If you roll a 2 and it is not a CH as above, then you can still get a CH with a roll of a '1' > half the to hit number needed) a subsequent dr is needed which will give a crit on a 3 or less.
Note the subsequent dr needs be less than or equal to half the modifed to hit number (which is the to hit number adjusted for calibre and barrel length).

3.7 CRITICAL HITS (CH): A CH is a hit so well placed that it increases the chance of causing damage on the resulting IFT Effects or TK DR. Even if the target is HD (3.9), a CH occurs on an Original 2 DR during the resolution of a HE (or WP; see 3.76) FFE (1.53), or on an Original TH DR of 2 on the Area/Vehicle Target Type or on a LATW TH Table. [EXC: Deliberate Immobilization (5.72). If only the lowest Final TH DR possible for that shot would achieve a hit, a CH occurs only on a subsequent dr of 1 following that hit; a 2-6 results in a normal hull hit (or a normal turret hit vs a HD vehicle); if the lowest Final TH DR possible for that shot would be a miss, 3.6 applies]. A CH also occurs while using the Infantry Target Type whenever the Final TH DR is < half the Modified TH# (3.3), or on an Original TH DR of 2 followed by a subsequent dr of 1 or ≤ half of the Modified TH#.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Try reading the rules explanation in Banzai. Hopefully that makes it crystal clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.