Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

Looking at reviews of the game, it looks like there is a lot going on in the game, and so it might be a difficult game to teach to new players (this can be a particular problem in my game group: people not liking to learn new games).

Any comments on how hard this game is to teach, both to people familiar with worker placement games and those who are not. Thanks.

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ian,

The game is more of an action-selection/exploration/deckbuilder than a worker placement game. That being said I have found it relatively straight-forward to teach. The turn summary cards are pretty helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Iron is not that difficult to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought the game and played it twice with new groups. Each time, there was at least one person overwhelmed with all the different resources, and the iconography on the cards. Not too complicated in my opinion, but not an easy game to teach unless you have all people who play a lot of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's easy, but seems to take a long time to teach (In a game session the other day, we taught a new player Lords of Waterdeep, which took about 2 minutes, and also City of Iron, which took about 10-15).

Unfortunately, this game is very, very unforgiving for mistakes. Have to spend one action drawing a card, taking 1 coin, or spending money on a card you misjudged, and the other players speed past you at lightning speed. New players will generally have a hard time figuring out what to buy and why, so expect that a few games will be needed for new players to really 'learn' the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.