Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am looking to round out an order I am about to put in with Victory Point Games. Any Recommendations for a Napoleon 20 series game that is NOT in Fading Glory?

BTW the other games I am getting are Nemo's War and Paul Koenig's D-Day The American Beaches.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI GMT is planning Rising Glory, so if you plan to get the GMT edition you'll want to avoid those titles also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb

Bussaco is pretty balanced

Dresden was pretty good

avoid Grossberen really stupid reinforcement rules and impossible for the French to win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favorites in the series are 'Austerlitz 20' and 'Katzbach 20.' Since the former is scheduled to appear in "Rising Glory" that would leave 'Katzbach 20' as the obvious choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Martz
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to everyone who responded!

One more question, are the expansions other than Smolensk 20 for Borodino 20 included in Fading Glory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
avoid Grossberen really stupid reinforcement rules and impossible for the French to win

Do not concur. Actually, based on my experience with the game, Grossbeeren is one of the best games in the series in terms of play balance. It is not impossible at all to win with the French.

Gentlemen, may I direct you to: [http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Grossbeeren_20]

We will be looking forward to your AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuentes de Oñoro 20 is one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Do not concur. Actually, based on my experience with the game, Grossbeeren is one of the best games in the series in terms of play balance. It is not impossible at all to win with the French.

Just my spin after playing it with 3 different guys multiple times. So I guess we got our moneys worth in play time. Is your allied opponent incompetent to the point of being suicidal? You did get the part about how the French are on the offensive, outclassed in unit quality and out numbered? :^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 3 plays of G20 resulted in 3 Draws.

Luck can play a significant role in this game, so results may vary widely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
My two favorites in the series are 'Austerlitz 20' and 'Katzbach 20.' Since the former is scheduled to appear in "Rising Glory" that would leave 'Katzbach 20' as the obvious choice.

Yes, I was surprised at how well Austerlitz 20 played, given that it can be a difficult battle to simulate (Napoleon set a trap for the Russians & Austrians, so it's hard to make them be as careless in games as they were in real life.) The inverted counters plus the dummy counters help a lot, and I also recommend using the expansion game rules that feature the combat table matrix, where each side chooses a battle tactic counter and then reveals their choice simultaneously, and then applies the result to the combat table before the die is rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
Since there are so few counters on the board, luck will be a factor (although rarely the determining factor).

To some extent this is true of any game in the series -- remember, the "20" in the title denotes the fact that the games (generally) have less than a total of 20 units on the map from both sides. However, I acknowledge that in some of the smaller battles (Grossbeeren/Denewitz and Katzbach/Gorlitz being examples of these) the luck factor does tend to feel a bit pronounced, but experienced veterans of the series will adjust their style of play to compensate for and mitigate against this. It's also worth noting that luck cuts both ways: I've seen plenty of games where one side suffers a bad turn and it looks as if they've no chance, only to have the situation reverse itself a few turns later when the opposition draws an unfortunate event or rolls poorly on the CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of N20, and can count on one hand the number of times where I've felt that luck was the determining factor.

That's the beauty of the system, it does so many things so well with so much less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That's the beauty of the system, it does so many things so well with so much less."

Amen, Brother. I wish there was a 'x10 Thumbs' button for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Jena 20.

Have only played it solitaire, but found it challenging. It's difficult to repeat history as the French side, I think, since a savvy Prussian player will avoid mistakes. Still you can say that about most any wargame, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
If there is a Nap20 game that I did not care for, it would be Aspern-Essling from the Danube 20 boxed set. In the games I played, the French spend more time and morale points dealing with the pontoon bridges than they do dealing with the Austrians!

That sounds about right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, and of the ones not previously mentioned, I'm kinda drawn to Vittoria 20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
If there is a Nap20 game that I did not care for, it would be Aspern-Essling from the Danube 20 boxed set. In the games I played, the French spend more time and morale points dealing with the pontoon bridges than they do dealing with the Austrians!

Getting Aspern-Essling "right" was probably one of the toughest bits of development work I've had to do in this series, and it's for just the reason you cite. Every account I read about the battle made it clear (to me) that the "battle of the bridges" was really what decided the outcome of the engagement, not the actual fighting on the field. I agree that it can be frustrating, and that the French spend more time worrying about the damned bridge than they do about the Austrians, but that was the historical reality of the battle. Remember, nearly a third of the French force never makes it into the fight because they were stuck on the far shore, waiting for the engineers to restore the bridges.

Napoleon lost at Aspern-Essling not because his troops couldn't deliver, or due to anything Charles and the Austrians did, but because his entire plan was predicated on a single (almost jury-rigged) span across a major river in full flood remaining intact throughout the operation. It was, at best, wishful thinking -- at worst it was a combination of extreme hubris and blatant incompetence.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, try playing the game without any of the bridge-crossing rules and their associated events. The French have more strength, and that strength is more concentrated. Breaking out of the bridgehead is relatively easy *IF* they can keep their forces flowing across the Danube -- and without the bridges being the major issue they were historically, their forces will be able to cross without any difficulty. It's nearly impossible for them to lose the scenario if the bridges stay functional the entire time.

PeteyWA wrote:
II like Jena 20. Have only played it solitaire, but found it challenging. It's difficult to repeat history as the French side...

It's important to remember that 'Jena 20' was only the second game in the series, and that it was done before I came aboard as series developer. I feel a bit uncomfortable criticizing Alan Emrich's original design, but the research behind his game was flawed -- enough so that it only vaguely resembles the actual battle. In re-working the design for the 2nd edition version of the game that's to be included in the GMT "Rising Glory" quad-pack with Jack Gill, we completely overhauled the game with the specific goal of trying to make the game produce a more historically accurate narrative. The map is different; the OOBs for both sides are different; the event cards are different... Effectively, it's a completely new game.

The two biggest differences are in the starting set-up. First, the Prussians already start the game with an "Orderly Withdrawal" in progress (in the original design they could only do this if they drew the appropriate Event card). Second, Hohenloe's army starts out deployed in a thin extended screen around Jena, performing its actual function of acting as a rear guard watching for Napoleon's advancing forces, not poised to launch an immediate attack on Lannes' advance guard. These two adjustments, coupled with terrain changes to the middle of the map that make it much harder for the Prussians to defend in depth, produce a game that plays out much closer to the flow of the actual battle.

In many ways the focus of the game now becomes Davout's efforts to stall Brunswick's army from exiting the map to the north (which was the historical Prussian objective) long enough for Napoleon to acheive the destruction of Hohenloe's commmand (which commonly causes a Prussian morale collapse). But it has to be a carefully coordinated effort -- if Davout doesn't hold, exiting Brunswick's forces off the map can stabilize Prussian morale levels to undo Napoleon's best efforts, while if Napoleon takes too long to get his own offensive rolling against Hohenloe, Brunswick will have time to push Davout aside. It's a much more challenging situation (and compelling "story") than the original game, and far more historically accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Albion 20 is underrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you've cited nearly all the games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nickcia wrote:
I think you've cited nearly all the games in the series.

Nobody ever talks about 'Gzhatsk 20.' soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden away in the expansion kit (and hiding being the door when vowels were given out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:
...hiding being the door when vowels were given out

I thought it lost something when they re-named the town Gagarin in '68.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.