Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Winter Tales» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player variant OR why are so many of the cool games 3 player minimum? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been deeply involved in the board game world for quite a few years. I understand exactly why certain games must be 3 player minimum. But, my question is, why are so many of the COOL games 3 player minimum? I am so disappointed that this one is too. I don't even buy 3-player games because I have to learn them with 2 and if they don't get learned, I'm not about to subject some newbie to a long learning session.

To go along with that, why does it always require the BGG community to create a 2 player variant of a 3-player game? Or, for that matter, a solo variant? Why can't these brilliant game companies finish the job and, as a financial incentive, sell more games to lonely gamers like me who live in Podunkville and not some major game hub like Indianapolis, the State of Maryland or simply in a place surrounded by Mormons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure you could play this 2p with no issues. Just ignore the 3rd role. Play good vs evil, and abide by the "story is king" golden rule, and I reckon it'll work a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason so people don't spend a bunch of money on a game and find the game subpar since it wasn't optimized for two. I think that is a good thing. And I play predominately two player games. I would rather buy a game they think is good two players, than one that doesn't really work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thor0298 wrote:
I think the reason so people don't spend a bunch of money on a game and find the game subpar since it wasn't optimized for two. I think that is a good thing. And I play predominately two player games. I would rather buy a game they think is good two players, than one that doesn't really work.

I actually agree. However, I don't mind playing a sub-par game with 2 players so that I can learn it and learn it well. Then, when the opportunity arises, I can pull it into a game group or pull it out to play with another couple.

It wouldn't be difficult for FFG to simply even point out that the game is optimized for 3-7 players, but still have solo or 2 player rules that are not excellent, but can be used for light play or learning purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
I am sure you could play this 2p with no issues. Just ignore the 3rd role. Play good vs evil, and abide by the "story is king" golden rule, and I reckon it'll work a treat.

Excellent. I hope it works. Thanks for the tip. I might buy it. But it still begs the question--why doesn't FFG build a variant into the game and sell it at 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanzania wrote:
thor0298 wrote:

I actually agree. However, I don't mind playing a sub-par game with 2-players so that I can learn it and learn it well. Then, when the opportunity arises, I can pull it into a game group or pull it out to play with another couple.

It wouldn't be difficult for FFG to simply even point out that the game is optimized for 3-7 players, but still have solo or 2 player rules that are not excellent, but can be used for light play or learning purposes.

I don't mind either. I have even played quite a few base games if catan 2 player . My wife is predominately my gaming partner so most things I get have to play with two. But I get what you are saying. There's been a few games I've seen that need 3+ that I have been interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
tanzania wrote:
Beloch wrote:

Excellent. I hope it works. Thanks for the tip. I might buy it. But it still begs the question--why doesn't FFG build a variant into the game and sell it at 2-player?

Because they believe that it doesn't work well with 2-players, the experience would be sub-optimal, and they don't want to have their name/game associated with an experience that isn't as great as they want it to be.

Even if they list it as 2-7, but 3+ recommended, people would come here and complain about the poor 2-player experience (assuming it is sub-par). Flipside - people who game with just 2 players will come up with something on their own, so FFG doesn't really lose anything by only listing the preferred player count.

-Edit-
As to why a ton of games are 3+ player - it's because the dynamics in 2-player games are much different than in 3+ player games. In a 2-player game, every point I gain is effectively a point you lose. In a 3+ player game, more than one person can benefit from an action, separating themselves from the other player. It's also a built-in balancing mechanism - the two players trailing can team up on the one on front. You don't have that in a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Ferguson
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
tanzania wrote:
Beloch wrote:

Because they believe that it doesn't work well with 2-players, the experience would be sub-optimal, and they don't want to have their name/game associated with an experience that isn't as great as they want it to be.

Even if they list it as 2-7, but 3+ recommended, people would come here and complain about the poor 2-player experience (assuming it is sub-par). Flipside - people who game with just 2 players will come up with something on their own, so FFG doesn't really lose anything by only listing the preferred player count.

Okay, I'm satisfied with that answer. People would probably still complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Cremona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/914627/can-this-be-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.