Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dogs of War» Forums » General

Subject: This looks like an excellent euro game, and not just another wargame. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little disappointed in Paolo's Batman game, which I felt needed too many house rules in order to get the game completed in a manageable timeframe (the theme fit the gameplay and both were excellent, except it needed a lot more playtesting to balance the resources).
Dogs of War looks much more balanced after watching the 50 min gameplay video. I like the tug of war combat. I initially feared it would be just another war game due to the games title, but it is more worker placement and negotiation which I prefer to combat tactics for gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Curtz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Re: This looks like an excellent game, and not just another wargame.
This really seems aimed directly at the BGG community, so I hope it will gather some momentum here. Might be hard with the ultra-short campaign.

A Euro-style worker placement game, from a known designer, with meaningful player interaction and really nice miniatures, and they've published the rules. What's not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a wargame at all, as far as I can tell. Other than giving number cards fancy names, it doesn't have anything to do with war.

"Merchant Gangs" is probably a better description ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:

"Merchant Gangs" is probably a better description ...

I like "Sellswords"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
"And not just another wargame."

I can't thank you enough for that headline comment. I've weaned myself off of KS because of some frustrating long waits and failures, then saw this, and doubted whether I could really stay away. And then I saw your thread and comments, and the words 'worker placement' and I breathed a sigh of relief. So I can relax again now and hope someone takes this rather excellent thematic idea and does something more adventurous with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.