Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This secret mission gives a player 2 VP for placing a crew member on an enemy ship, but Romulan Saboteurs allow a player to simply place crew on enemy ships from their hand (no transporter action/test needed). This seems like a very easy way to get 2 VP. Is this true?

Thnx

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I don't have my game handy. Any chance you could type in the exact text from the card in question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MANIPULATION

"SECRET MISSION: Place a crew card on an enemy ship."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, again. It could be that easy: play a Saboteur on an Enemy Ship, get 2 VP.

Or, I guess it could mean, Transport one of your Crew to an Enemy Ship to get the 2 VP. Because, according to the Rules, a Saboteur is not considered your Crew, but rather Crew of the Enemy Ship.

But, the Mission Card does not say "Place one of your crew." It just says "Place a Crew card."

Gee, I dunno. The last few times I have played, I have been Romulans, and have won about 3 or 4 in a row. Maybe it is that easy to get 2 VP!

Not much help, am I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be, but it feels a little cheap to me. I may have to HR that you need to transport one of your crew. Romulans are plenty powerful already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, another thing to think about is, first you have to have drawn that Mission, and second, you would have to have a Saboteur in your hand to place on another Ship, after you have the Mission in front of you (because it is not a Condition Mission, I don't think.) Not all the Romulan decks have Saboteurs, I don't think. And any that you have drawn, you may have already placed before you drew that Mission. So maybe the combination of those two things happening together are not so frequent.

I suppose there are other cases like that. Like easy-peasy Science Missions for the Federation player, where he doesn't even have to roll because his Sensors are set so high or something. Easy VP there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True. True. You make some excellent points. Hmmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play with the rules as written and avoid any house ruling unitl/unless MANIPULATION ends up critically deciding a significant perventage of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally we tend to play with 5 more VP required than fleet size. (fleet size 10 needs 15 VP to win, 15 needs 20, etc...). This tends to balance for these "gimmes" (the above mentioned easy Fed science, the late-game conditional Influence ones like "explore 6 adjacent sectors" and whatnot) a little bit, without overdoing or revamping the rules. Plus it tends to give a little more playtime, without going TOO far, which is always fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.