Subject: Anyone else like Ghosts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
None of my friends are willing to give Ghosts a try, but I personally love playing them. Trying to figure out how to get enough cards out of your hand to make them great is just so fun to me. They are the only faction that actually give me sort of a "rush" to play lol. However, you HAVE to be willing to drop cards. Holding onto cards that give you the "HEY! THIS CARD IS TOO GOOD TO GET RID OF" feeling is not the right way to play

Problem with them is...they are VERY dependent on the faction they are paired with, at least if you want to make them better with 2 or less cards. Innsmouth/Ghosts were the WORST faction I've ever played. I thought at first HEY! I CAN PLAY A LOT OF MINIONS OF THE SAME NAME...then I realized all my good cards were going to the bottom of the deck every time I played the Locals.

I still love em tho (Cyborg Apes are up there too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghosts are pretty dependent on getting a good hand, I think, but if you manage to get your Specter out early as well as both your Ghostly Arrivals, they are most definitely a carry faction. Ghost/Zombie is pretty effective, for obvious reasons. Ghost/Time Traveler can really enable you to do some sick combos, especially once you get that Time Walk. Ghost/Shapeshifter is also pretty good, especially if your Specter comes out early. Makes your Mimics so buff the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I don't like playing the ghosts, it's the only faction we just do not 'get'. Even when paired with Zombies as they get cards back from your graveyard into your hand but ghosts want you to have less cards in your hand?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them because they are really different.

And because they are harder to play due to the mentioned mindset required - I have to fight against two decades of "card advantage is good" doctrine.

I agree that even if played well, Cyber Apes are more powerful simply because they have the multitude of combos and synergy in their faction cards.
Ghosts can easily be partnered with factions that make them work worse, Cyber Apes can work well with almost anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
0468 Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Ghosts. I enjoy playing with them almost every time. But the gang I usually play this game with is divided. We usually play with random factions. But we will accept some of the players denying to play with the Ghosts and let them draw another faction. And we also accept the redraw of one faction if one player is stuck with Ghosts/Wizards combo.
The Ghosts really need a litte "unusual" mindset while playing them, so not everybody is going to enjoy playing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eiriken wrote:
I love the Ghosts. I enjoy playing with them almost every time. But the gang I usually play this game with is divided. We usually play with random factions. But we will accept some of the players denying to play with the Ghosts and let them draw another faction. And we also accept the redraw of one faction if one player is stuck with Ghosts/Wizards combo.
The Ghosts really need a litte "unusual" mindset while playing them, so not everybody is going to enjoy playing with them.

Ghost/Wizard is the second best Ghost combo, so I would rethink that house policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also very fond of the ghosts. They require a totally different play style than most of the decks because you really are encouraged to burn through you cards fast.

And when paired up with some things they can be challenging (Wizards and Zombies especially). But if you can burn your hand size down they have a lot of really impressive and useful abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eiriken wrote:

Ghost/Wizard is the second best Ghost combo, so I would rethink that house policy.

Now that I think about that with all the action play that wizards can get I realize how well they can work with ghosts. Especially since you can effectively play out your entire hand..and then draw a brand new hand and do it again.

Id still say its a hard combo..but certinally understand it.

The only combos I tend to redraw on are:
Ninja Tricksters - Their playable but that's a hard game.
Zombie Robots - Unless its a brand new player, you can almost always destroy everyone with these. I encourage experienced players draw again.

Considering I have all the expansions though. This doesn't happen all that often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brady
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've had some pretty good games as Ghost Pirates.

Also funny that there's a comment that Ninja Tricksters is a hard game, that's generally my "go-to" factions when anyone goes for strong creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RichBrady wrote:
I've had some pretty good games as Ghost Pirates.

Also funny that there's a comment that Ninja Tricksters is a hard game, that's generally my "go-to" factions when anyone goes for strong creatures.

I can see them being effective. They just take a level of skill that most people have a hard time managing.

I pretty much always do random draws for factions though.

Except for Cthulhu..I only play with them if everyone is using them..but we still draw those randomly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lynn
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play them. I like them. As simple as it is, I do very well with Ghosts/zombies. One deck functions off getting rid of cards, the other functions off of a big discard pile. It is a no brainer... pun intended...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
My family and I don't like playing the ghosts, it's the only faction we just do not 'get'. Even when paired with Zombies as they get cards back from your graveyard into your hand but ghosts want you to have less cards in your hand?!?

The advice that got me playing Ghosts more effectively was that you shouldn't focus on trying to keep your hand under two cards ALL the time. There are (generally) two types of cards in the Ghost deck - those cards that give you bonuses for a small hand, and cards that allow you to discards like crazy. So play a Spirit and THEN play a card that will let you dump all your excess cards. Your opponents won't see it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Grandjean
msg tools
They are tricky. Oddly enough, they work really well with fat hand decks (robots, wizards, steampunks) as what you'll do is alternate big hands, then use a Spirit to blow up a key minion or The Dead Rise to bring back a favorite minion- killer for robots as your key minions are your Microbot Alpha, Microbot Fixer, or Microbot Reclaimer.
Ghost pirates works to add a bit more punch to the pirates and to save your First Mates from the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.