Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m not sure if the recommendation forum is the best place for this, but anyway.

I’ve found that my habits, or maybe desires is a better word, have changed lately. I picked up board gaming about three years ago. I had been a hardcore MtG player in the past, like from 1995 or so to 2001ish. I’d also played D&D 2nd ed. I also grew up loving Stratego.
In 2010 I played Catan with some friends and really liked it. I quickly got engrossed in board games and started buying my own. I went to Origins and started watching dice tower videos. I looked for excuses to buy games.

Now I find myself looking for excuses to get rid of games. I picked up age of empires 3 at a flea market, and pillars of earth from a geekbay auction, and now I have sold AoE3 and I’m thinking about selling Pillars. I have not read the instructions, nor played either one of these.

But I look at them as worker placements, and I already have Caverna and Lords of Waterdeep. My friend has the Manhattan project, and I just think, why do we need another worker placement game?
I look at my game shelf and just think of how games are similar, and which ones I could sell or trade off. We play once a week at best, so I figure I’ll never have time to get enough enjoyment out of a game if I have so many. (and I don’t even have THAT many)

Am I following a natural progression of a non collector? Basically build up your collection, find what you like, and fine tune it down to the best of the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for myself...

I started with buying boardgames with lots of plastic and theme, then moved on to some Eurogames and abstracts.

My tastes have returned to their roots, and I now almost never buy Euros (except for the occasional Wolfgang Kramer release). I still enjoy a good abstract now and then, but pretty much I stick to what got me into this furshlingerable hobby - namely "Ameritrash".

I think that unless you are the kind of person with deep pockets who buys games just to have a copy of it and say you have the biggest collection on the block, gamers will eventually cull their stock of games and do what I did - be very selective and only buy what truly fits your needs/desires.

Hope that helps, somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found this myself; my collection will fluctuate reflecting my current tastes and opportunities at the time.

Whilst cult of the new, is perhaps a contributing factor to this; I do not personally see this is a major issue (I wouldn’t expect to read the same books (with a few exceptions) I did growing up as I read now, board games are no different for me; my tastes should evolve / mature over time.)

But when I used to fall for a game, I typically fell hard; buying expansions after the first play or similar games / mechanics in short succession etc. In most cases this hasn’t been an issue and once I had changed tastes / gotten over the honey moon period I was fortunate enough to be able to trade or sell them here on the geek...typically funding my next purchase.

However there are a few games which I have been unable to do this with, but this is typically those which I have personalised in some way or do not have all the components to make it 100% complete (don’t have the expansion box etc.)

As such I would advise when buying games to do so after a serious amount of research of both positive and negative reviews. Even after your first few plays do not through away the insert or leaflet from the publisher, these are the things which can lead to a dusty game sat on your shelf OR a quick sale later downs the line.

People’s collections and tolerance to their size will vary dependent upon their view of the hobby, for some there is never enough; for others having a few games to pull out of a draw to play with a few beers once in a while is sufficient.

How yours fluctuates will be dependent upon this as well as other external factors which impact upon your time to play games (kids, job etc.)

As such I would say not to worry about the size of your collection, it is yours for you and your friends enjoyment; just be careful when buying new games to keep them as like new as possible so that should they fall flat you always have the option to re-sell.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I can only speak for myself...

I started with buying boardgames with lots of plastic and theme, then moved on to some Eurogames and abstracts.

My tastes have returned to their roots, and I now almost never buy Euros (except for the occasional Wolfgang Kramer release). I still enjoy a good abstract now and then, but pretty much I stick to what got me into this furshlingerable hobby - namely "Ameritrash".

I think that unless you are the kind of person with deep pockets who buys games just to have a copy of it and say you have the biggest collection on the block, gamers will eventually cull their stock of games and do what I did - be very selective and only buy what truly fits your needs/desires.

Hope that helps, somehow.

I think so. It kind of falls into my fear of selling or trading away a game, to find myself wanting it later.
hildan wrote:
I have found this myself; my collection will fluctuate reflecting my current tastes and opportunities at the time.

Whilst cult of the new, is perhaps a contributing factor to this; I do not personally see this is a major issue (I wouldn’t expect to read the same books (with a few exceptions) I did growing up as I read now, board games are no different for me; my tastes should evolve / mature over time.)

But when I used to fall for a game, I typically fell hard; buying expansions after the first play or similar games / mechanics in short succession etc. In most cases this hasn’t been an issue and once I had changed tastes / gotten over the honey moon period I was fortunate enough to be able to trade or sell them here on the geek...typically funding my next purchase.

However there are a few games which I have been unable to do this with, but this is typically those which I have personalised in some way or do not have all the components to make it 100% complete (don’t have the expansion box etc.)

As such I would advise when buying games to do so after a serious amount of research of both positive and negative reviews. Even after your first few plays do not through away the insert or leaflet from the publisher, these are the things which can lead to a dusty game sat on your shelf OR a quick sale later downs the line.

People’s collections and tolerance to their size will vary dependent upon their view of the hobby, for some there is never enough; for others having a few games to pull out of a draw to play with a few beers once in a while is sufficient.

How yours fluctuates will be dependent upon this as well as other external factors which impact upon your time to play games (kids, job etc.)

As such I would say not to worry about the size of your collection, it is yours for you and your friends enjoyment; just be careful when buying new games to keep them as like new as possible so that should they fall flat you always have the option to re-sell.

Dan

I do try to keep my stuff as new as possible. But I did just get kind of burned. I had sold the expansion for Mage Knight along with the base game. I had never played the expansion, but when the buyer received it, he found 3 pieces missing. I have a ticket in with Wizkids to try to get replacement parts, but I'm not optimistic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Establish a "scorched heart" policy:

When you get rid of a game, it's gone. You aren't allowed to yearn for it any more. If you ever do, try to remember exactly why you got rid of it in the first place. That feeling is still there, kinda like holding a grudge.

This will save you a ton of grief in the long run.

Also, start documenting (at least mentally) why you're buying stuff, and why you're getting rid of stuff.

I used to buy stuff because the art was cool, the theme was cool, the mechanics were unique, because I played it once in college with some great guys, because no one else had it, blah blah.

Stupid, stupid. I'm not a museum. I'm a player. Game tastes don't change that much over time. And purging games doesn't mean you burn all your bridges without a good reason.

I got rid of all my CCGs because they were a huge money sink, and because *mumble mumble*. Never looked back, and never bought another CCG since.

If I love a game, and everyone else in my current group doesn't, I keep it. If I hate a game, and everyone else in my current group loves it, I get rid of it. One of them can buy it (even off me). I'll happily play it with them, but I don't want to own it.

I used to get sucked into the neat KS campaigns with all their glitz and sparkle. No more. Stuff shows up second hand all the time. Sure, I might have to pay a bit more, but I saved a ton of money in the interim.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment. But be judicious, and try to be as informed as possible.

And if you really, really like one type of game, say worker placement -- who's to say you shouldn't have every type of worker placement game out there? It's just as good a reason to buy a game as any other.

Lastly, for goodness' sake: don't buy games (or keep them) because other people think they're great. That way lies madness. You have to like them. You have to want to play them. Otherwise, YOU shouldn't own them. Very simple.

I'm still struggling, but I feel a bit more grounded in my decisions these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a couple games like that right now rumble.

I have Lords of Waterdeep, which I am growing tired of, but a couple friends really love. If it were up to me, I'd much rather play a couple different worker placement games.

I also had a pre - order for Marvel Dice Masters. After seeing the CCG type craziness of it, I've decided to sell it before opening it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.