1 Posts

Can't Stop» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lazy holiday play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
flag msg tools
My efforts to get in some gaming on the weekend of July 1-2, before we were to leave for a July 4th with the in-laws, had seemingly come to naught when at the last moment Sunday evening, my beloved wife told me that for various reasons (associated with our new baby girl), she didn't think we should make the trip. Voila, suddenly I had "found time" -- two previously reserved holiday days, now unscheduled.

You know what that means: Games! But I still wasn't able to find large members of the game day gang around, and was only able to arrange a tentative three-some for Monday morning. At the last moment, Ben called to say that Stephanie couldn't make it, so we invited Ben over to our place to simply play a couple of quick 2-person games.

As Ben arrived, I received two unexpected gifts. One was that my little daughter was sleeping more soundly than usual, and the other was that J expressed an interest for joining us in a 3-person game of Can't Stop. It's so rare that J is willing to play with us, my delight could hardly be contained. . .

J rolled first, and made some modest progress. The turn passed to Ben, who unexpectedly went bust right out of the gate. I rolled conservatively, given Ben's bad start. Ben then busted on his second turn as well, leading me to be even more conservative. I made slow, steady progress up the the board.

Ben usually kicks our butts at this game. He does know the odds quite well, but I swear he's gotten extremely lucky in our few plays. This time he was having the bad luck.

I kept it very conservative, and wondered if I had been too much so when J finished her first number, the 9 row. But I was in a strong position in a number of other columns, and it looked to me as though J and Ben would take more out of each other's hide than either would from mine.

Sure enough, Ben took the 7 column row, basically stealing it from J. In theory, I was behind, but felt pretty good about my position, even when I had a bust about halfway through the game.

Ben had to roll more aggressively given that he was far behind. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. He went bust a couple more times, and never did have a truly long, extensive streak of good luck.

I lucked into the 12 column pretty quickly, so we each had one column. J then picked up the 5. I then sorely needed to take the 8 from her, and I did.

Towards the end, it came down to a situation in which J just needed an easy roll to win, but she didn't get it. She busted quickly, turning control of the board over to me, and I was lucky enough to complete the 10 soon after.

It was fun finally getting a run of luck at Ben's expense, but I felt a little sheepish for prevailing over J given the odds situation at the end.

Chuck 3 (12, 10, 8)
J 2 (9, 5)
Ben 1 (7)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.