Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any rule that prevents partisans from establishing a Bridgehead?

That is, after an all-partisan attack across a river, can the partisans place a BH marker?

What about an attack by partisans combined with major power units, in which only the partisans advance after combat (and perhaps do so from the same side of the river as the defenders)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Scanning the .pdf for all occurrences of "bridgehead" reveals no prohibition.

But 9.4 states: "A Bridgehead counter may be removed whenever...It also must be removed at the end of the owner’s player turn if it is both no longer required to provide supply (i.e. any units previously supplied through the Bridgehead could trace supply by other means) and no enemy ground units are within four hexes by land." So if it's all partisans on the hex, they'll end the turn in a bind without an enemy nearby.

The problem may be in the transitory nature of partisan control. For example 27.22(DQB) points out that supply can not move through a partisan controlled hex unless it was only friendly control. Can a BH be placed on an enemy hex?

A can of worms with no direct answer. But I say yes you can place a BH but it will disappear if left unoccupied if it's on an enemy hex.

Edit: And of course there's the fact that partisan units do not untriple a river defense. I certainly think that an attack that occurs in conjunction with partisans may result in a BH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That all sounds reasonable to me. Agree that once the partisans leave, the hex reverts to enemy control so the BH cannot be maintained.

I can see a possible situation in Yugoslavia in which three or four partisans attack Belgrade across the river, and then want to establish a bridgehead so that all four can defend the city against counter-attack. Russia gets three partisans, so a similar situation could arise there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree completely with Patrick on this one. I always assume that partisan act as regular combat units aside from the explicit exceptions spelled out in detail in the rules section on partisans. While that does imply, in the absence of any explicit prohibition, that the partisans can place the BH, as Patrick has pointed out that creates a potential issue if / when the partisans leave the hex and it reverts to enemy control. Although it is not spelled out, I think the BH being removed when the partisans leave the hex is logically consistent. Also note, since the partisan cannot claim to need it for supply, it would be removed if no enemy units are within 4 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
deadkenny wrote:
Also note, since the partisan cannot claim to need it for supply, it would be removed if no enemy units are within 4 hexes.

That is exactly the thing I was thinking about. Per the SoP such an attack on Belgrade could result with a BH and say all four Yugoslav partisans on a BH. But if the nearest enemy unit was 5 hexes away, the BH would be removed at the end of the Allied turn. Now the overstacked units would not be eliminated until the next Allied movement phase, but the Allied player would need to be wary of Axis armored units within 6 or even exploitation range because without the BH the excess stacked units would not contribute toward the defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chase wind
msg tools
mbmbmb
32.6 says A partisan controls only the hex it is on. So as long as the partisan is on the hex it is Allied controled, thus I would agree that a BH can be placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris walsh
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure a partisan unit can change hex control though. They certainly cannot open up supply lines unless and until a regular Allied unit transits them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris walsh
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the no enemy unit within 4 hexes applies to a BH placed by ANY unit? In this way you can see that there are two 'types' of BH placement: those across rivers (where sea supply is not needed) and those placed after seaborne invasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cccw wrote:
I'm not sure a partisan unit can change hex control though. They certainly cannot open up supply lines unless and until a regular Allied unit transits them.

Quote:
32.6 A partisan controls only the hex it is on, and that only temporarily; as soon as it moves away the hex automatically reverts to Axis control....

Hex control does change, as long as the partisan occupies the hex. While true that control would revert to the Axis when the partisan leaves the hex, it has in fact changed control of the hex in question as long as it occupies it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.