Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Defenders!

A question.

So we just finished up mission 2...and a question came up about area overlays that I couldn't find an answer to.

For the overlays that are two combined hexes (the smaller overlays), is there any difference in how they function? So, for example, there's two overlays with little lights in their corners that are face up in Mission 2 on the board, and there's three overlays without them. I'm not sure about any differences between them, I couldn't find anything in the rule books. Also...do they block LOS? We played the game as if they did.

I'm not talking about the area overlay that's in place in mission 2. I'm referencing the 5 overlays (3 are up without lights, 2 are up with lights) in Mission 2. What are the differences between them? Just so I know going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thankyou for asking this! I have the exact same question! Tagging along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is aesthetic. All 1x2 overlays block LOS (you can tell because of the dashed line along their edge), and they all are two-sided so that you don't end up with too much visual monotony when you have to lay out a bunch of them in a row (as in Mission 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
The difference is aesthetic. All 1x2 overlays block LOS (you can tell because of the dashed line along their edge), and they all are two-sided so that you don't end up with too much visual monotony when you have to lay out a bunch of them in a row (as in Mission 2).

Yes, I was fairly certain about the blocking of LOS because of the dashed edges. What I couldn't find was that the difference between the overlays was for aesthetic reasons. I spent a LONG time searching around looking for differences in those two-hex overlays in the rulebook(s) and couldn't find anything, turns out I should have just created a thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
Skaak wrote:

Yes, I was fairly certain about the blocking of LOS because of the dashed edges. What I couldn't find was that the difference between the overlays was for aesthetic reasons. I spent a LONG time searching around looking for differences in those two-hex overlays in the rulebook(s) and couldn't find anything, turns out I should have just created a thread.

Personally I very much appreciate the fact that you took time to read and reread the rules prior to posting a thread. Too often players just go the lazy route and flood rules forums with the same few questions without looking up, or at least doing a forum search. Kudos to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

I assumed that's what it was, I searched the forums and hunted the rulebook and storybook but I could not find an answer. I figured that it had to be aesthetics only. Good to have my thinking validated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
Councilofthevoid wrote:
Skaak wrote:

Personally I very much appreciate the fact that you took time to read and reread the rules prior to posting a thread. Too often players just go the lazy route and flood rules forums with the same few questions without looking up, or at least doing a forum search. Kudos to you!

Order of operations for figuring out rules:

1.) Check rule-book
2.) Check rule-book again
3.) Get angry about not finding out the information I need in the rulebook, regardless of the quality of the rulebook
4.) Hastily Google the question and boardgamegeek
5.) Mumble about rulebook being bad while looking up answer
6.) Scan through the forums on the game's home page
7.) Get angry that no one has asked my question already
8.) Start a thread with said question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

Actually, it's more than that. It took me a while to see it, but the difference is in the border between the 2 hexes on the overlay. One of the sides has a blue line between the hexes, and the other side has a white line between the hexes. This is so that, even with the overlays, you can see where the borders of an Area are. Pretty clever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
One of the sides has a blue line between the hexes, and the other side has a white line between the hexes. This is so that, even with the overlays, you can see where the borders of an Area are. Pretty clever!

Nice, I hadn't noticed that; way to pay attention to detail, Gremlins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Job Agents! you hit the nail cool

These overlay are really useful in creating custom missions...
and imagine a world with many modular map tiles... making corridors possibile

The future... is near!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a further overlay question, with Mission 3.

On map C2, you place the "fountain" overlay over the wood floor room.
Does this replace each of the doors with blocked walls on the other rooms (the black & white chequered floor and beige tile floor rooms)?

It is difficult to see in the book (it looks like they are gone) but the overlay does not have blocked walls, so I assume those rooms have doors connecting out to the fountain???

EDIT:
I have found the answer here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148396/do-area-overlays-blo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.