Hide
13 Posts

Mage Wars Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is there any limit of mana or life? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ma joonseok
msg tools
can I have max 34 mana or can I have more?

same question to Life. can I have more life than listed on status sheet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjoons wrote:
can I have max 34 mana or can I have more?

same question to Life. can I have more life than listed on status sheet?

Yes you can - none of those stats are limited. It does say this in the rulebook (P7 for Mana, might be in the FAQ for Life).

All are unlimited - it's very rare that you are playing well and would need bigger tracks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ma joonseok
msg tools
i see. thank u

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
All are unlimited - it's very rare that you are playing well and would need bigger tracks though.

Surely if you are playing the priestess, it's very rare (with Sunfire Amulet, special rules and other bonuses) that you wouldn't need a bigger track! We've frequently gone well past one life track with the priestess and the Beastmaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's possibly true, although you would generally do much better by NOT playing the amulet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian VanAlstyne
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
How do you figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a weak card. Most strong decks are quite aggressive, and the action and mana are better spent elsewhere.

There are so many turn 3-5 kills, and Priestess life gain doesn't slow most by even a turn. Now realistically you should be able to defend to slow those aggressive starts, but still don't bank on a game longer than 10 turns unless you have a very solid and flexible plan for doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan has a point that it does take awhile to pay off the investment for Sunfire Amulet, but I don't think it takes an unreasonable amount of time. I think 5 life for it is enough to make the mana cost worth it, and plenty of games last long enough for that to occur. That is my opinion though, others may differ. My opinion also happens to be that it's not worth the Spell Points to include...I can typically find cheaper ways to include the healing I feel I need.

The most common way I've seen people go over the life tracker is a Warlock with Drain Soul. That one spell is all it takes to put him off the board. It is expensive, but it can give you a guaranteed 6 damage to kill off a creature AND increase your life +6, so it is a common tactic by one of my friends. It's not that useful against a Non-Living build though, which isn't found in my local meta currently but I understand is quite common in most places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair point. I rarely put non-living creatures in my decks (and end up casting them less often - Gorgon Archer being the notable exception), but I do always put a Drain Soul in my Warlock/Necromancer decks in case. It's good enough when it pays out to be worth the spell points when it's in school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian VanAlstyne
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
It's a weak card. Most strong decks are quite aggressive, and the action and mana are better spent elsewhere.

There are so many turn 3-5 kills, and Priestess life gain doesn't slow most by even a turn. Now realistically you should be able to defend to slow those aggressive starts, but still don't bank on a game longer than 10 turns unless you have a very solid and flexible plan for doing so.

You must play with an interesting group since I've rarely even seen damage inflicted by turn 3. My groups games normally last about an hour or more and last 12-15 rounds so those extra lives added by the amulet plus any holy enchantments/incantations are sometimes the difference between a win and a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DevilSoprano wrote:

You must play with an interesting group since I've rarely even seen damage inflicted by turn 3. My groups games normally last about an hour or more and last 12-15 rounds so those extra lives added by the amulet plus any holy enchantments/incantations are sometimes the difference between a win and a loss.

You realise there are turn 3 kills in the game?

Now to be fair you can see it coming, and every deck should be prepared with ways out of it, or they are lousy decks, but you can do it against someone that just buffs up for 3 turns.

There are a lot of Turn 4 kills, and any mage can do a turn 5 kill, in many possible permutations. That doesn't mean that you often pull them off, because a good player takes countermeasures to prevent these. But spending 3-4 rounds pottering around not putting damage on the table is the perfect storm for all of these quick kills...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of my games, I rolled 22 dice worth of damage on Turn 2.
My opponent's reaction is another story. modest

But aggressive is definitely the name of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koenigcitizen wrote:
In one of my games, I rolled 22 dice worth of damage on Turn 2.

Two Force Pushes? And he moved badly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.