Pandemic» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Very Intense Fun Game of Pandemic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We sat down last night for a 3-player game of Pandemic. I had introduced the game to my friend Pat last week and he liked it so much that we played twice in a row and he had been asking me when we could play it again ever since. We had Matt who was a first time player but very eager to learn and wanted to help us save the world from these terrible diseases. I was the 3rd player and I have probably played about 15 games of Pandemic. After a rules explanation, we did the pre-game infection set up and things were not looking good in Asia. All 3 of the 3 cube infected cities were Red! Who shuffled these cards?shake

To make matters worse, 2 of the 2 cube infected cities were also Red. While this can make for a tough start at least we know where we have to go since the rest of the world was pretty disease free at this point. Even though we had 1 new player we decided to throw in The Mutant Challenge from On the Brink and go with 5 Epidemic cards. Even though Pat and I got smoked and lost the first game he played last week due to being overrun with Outbreaks, we had a pretty easy time in his second game and we're looking for more of a challenge. Matt said he was totally up for it. We drew our Role Cards and got very lucky as Pat drew the Medic, I got the Scientist, and Matt drew the Epidimologist. Not too shabby for a 3-player game.

Pat took the Medic and used his Ho Chi Min card to fly over to Asia and start treating the 3 cube infected cities. During the Player draw phase he drew a Mutation card and just like that we had a 5th disease in Miami. Matt took his turn and moved to Miami, treating the purple disease, then moved down to South America and treated a single yellow. Great news on his player draw phase as he drew the Special Event which allows anyone to switch roles at anytime. It was a tough choice between the Dispatcher and the Operations Expert but he decided he could be of more use to the team as the Dispatcher. While being able to build research stations without burning the city card is very helpful, being mobile is just better. Infections popped up in Atlanta and Chicago so I just treated and moved hoping to draw 2 more red cards as I already had 2 of them and wanted to get our first cure on our next turn.

I did draw 1 red but also drew our first epidemic! I drew Bogata off the bottom of the deck which wasn't too bad since Matt was already in South America. Then the dreaded reshuffle of huge Infection Discard pile and back on top they go. Jakarta popped up which gave us our first outbreak and Bogata which quickly gave us our second. Of course Pat the Medic quickly treated Jakarta. A few turns laterite was able to cure the red disease but we were never able to eradicate it and Red was a problem area for the whole game. Both Pat and Matt drew Mutation cards from the Infection deck and things got a little worse with purple. South America became overrun with disease and before we knew it we were up to 7 outbreaks.

We had cured everything but yellow and blue and Matt was in Miami and had the Miami card. He moved me to Miami, gave me the Miami card and on my next turn I was able to go to Atlanta and cure yellow. I had 3 blue cards in my hand and drew my 4 the blue card. At this point we had 4 cities on the board with 3 cubes and our infection rate was 3. We only had 4 cards left in the player draw deck, with the outbreak tracker on 7, one away from sure death for the world. Pat the medic is still in Asia and treats 2 of the 3 cubed cities to take a little pressure off of us. I knew we still had 1 epidemic left in the player draw stack and if he drew that we would be done as we only had 1 yellow cube left. He drew his first card as we held our breath, Special Event which allowed us to take 2 extra actions. He gave the card to me and I cured Blue in Atlanta to save the world.

This was probably the most exciting intense game of Pandemic have played. Matt was also hooked on the game and said he had no idea there were such fun games like this. Can't wait to play this again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Who shuffled these cards?shake

This gets said EVERY time we play Pandemic.

Anyway thanks for the session report, it's always nice to read about people enjoying this game as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
He drew his first card as we held our breath, Special Event which allowed us to take 2 extra actions. He gave the card to me and I cured Blue in Atlanta to save the world.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I don't think you can do that. Assuming it's "Borrowed Time" - that means 'the current player' can take an extra two actions. Since he is in the process of drawing, he's done with his action phase. He needs to draw his second card, discard down to 7. THEN, he could play borrowed time, but it would only affect the person on his left. You can't designate a player for the 2 extra actions either. Furthermore, you should treat the drawing of 2 player cards a single step.

You would have had to continue dodging the Epidemics, and putting out the yellow disease fires until your turn again. BTW.. 5 epidemics + Mutation is no joke!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
al_fredo wrote:
Omahavice wrote:
He drew his first card as we held our breath, Special Event which allowed us to take 2 extra actions. He gave the card to me and I cured Blue in Atlanta to save the world.

Not to be a buzzkill, but I don't think you can do that. Assuming it's "Borrowed Time" - that means 'the current player' can take an extra two actions. Since he is in the process of drawing, he's done with his action phase. He needs to draw his second card, discard down to 7. THEN, he could play borrowed time, but it would only affect the person on his left. You can't designate a player for the 2 extra actions either. Furthermore, you should treat the drawing of 2 player cards a single step.

You would have had to continue dodging the Epidemics, and putting out the yellow disease fires until your turn again. BTW.. 5 epidemics + Mutation is no joke!!!

What you say makes sense as far as the timing went. For some reason all of us thought that you could use the Special Event cards at any time for any player. I do have another question about a Special Event card. I think it is called Special Assignment which allows any player to turn in his Role Card and it says to select another one. Do you get to pick which one you want or do you randomly draw from the unused Role cards?

All 3 of us played again tonight. This time I added in 6 Epidemic cards and the Mutation Challenge. In the first game we got killed when we had Outbreaks in Johansburg, Kinnesha and Kharthom. We know the chanin reaction can't bounce back into the city that the Outbreak started from but it can move pretty fast in that little triangle once all 3 of them have 3 cubes each. We lost the first game when it hit the 8th Outbreak. We had the Medic, Archivist, and Researcher. We cleared the board and set up for game 2. This time we had the Scientist, Operations Expert, and Researcher. We started offf great with the Scientist geting cures for blue and red very quickly. Unfortunately purple and yellow were going crazy and then we had some outbreaks in Mumbai and Kalkutta. Twice we were down to the last yellow cube and purple cube but always had just enough to fill the board. Before we knew it outbreaks were everywhere and we lost again.

Here is the best news. Both of my buddies are totally hooked and already said they want to give it another go at this level tomorrow night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
What you say makes sense as far as the timing went. For some reason all of us thought that you could use the Special Event cards at any time for any player. I do have another question about a Special Event card. I think it is called Special Assignment which allows any player to turn in his Role Card and it says to select another one. Do you get to pick which one you want or do you randomly draw from the unused Role cards?

You can choose which role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.