Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Art is both in the perception as well as the creation. They are always in balance. We approach art as we approach all things in life: through the lens of our own experience. We are each unique and unrepeatable manifestations of...life, the universe, God - whatever you might call it. So as art exists in the receiver as well as the creator, it will manifest anew, unique and unrepeatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Art is both in the perception as well as the creation. They are always in balance. We approach art as we approach all things in life: through the lens of our own experience. We are each unique and unrepeatable manifestations of...life, the universe, God - whatever you might call it. So as art exists in the receiver as well as the creator, it will manifest anew, unique and unrepeatable.

Whatever, Snowflake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

Came here to say this exact thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
"everything that has been done has already been done, from music to visual art to stories".

Some pretty obvious examples.

Writing did not exist prior to 3200 BCE.
Screenprinting did not exist prior to 960.
Photography did not exist prior to 1800.
Films did not exist prior to 1900.
Video games did not exist prior to 1930.
Hip hop did not exist prior to the 1970.

Architecture, sculpture, painting, dance... all had to be invented.

Not only have existing art forms not been exhausted, as we continue to create new inventions, we will continue to create new forms of art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
everything that has been done has already been done

That's simply a tautology, impossible to argue against.

If you meant everything that can be done has already been done, then obviously not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
In many art and literature forums, there are many people who believe that "everything that has been done has already been done, from music to visual art to stories". While I don't think absolute creativity can exist (even if it did, it would be too strange and nobody would really be able to associate with it), I feel like the saying is an incredibly tiring phrase that is used to justify truly terrible, hackneyed works.

What are some effective counter-arguments I can use against this line of reasoning?

Well sure, everything that has been done has already been done.
Did you mean to say, and I know you're not the one saying it, that everything that will be done has already been done? What does that mean?

If you give words too much permission, they will burn your barn, kill your family, rape your dog, and steal your Pez dispenser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
NOT THE PEZ!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
korxonthos wrote:
What are some effective counter-arguments I can use against this line of reasoning?
Kindly inform 'toi~lettes' that there "were" SUCH for 'moi' while you must "C"-2-"B" beliefed! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
korxonthos wrote:
ekted wrote:
This EXACT question was posted back in 2008. laugh

Really? If so, I definitely would have loved to read the responses.

Fwooooosh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
korxonthos wrote:
"everything that has been done has already been done, from music to visual art to stories".

Some pretty obvious examples.

Writing did not exist prior to 3200 BCE.
Screenprinting did not exist prior to 960.
Photography did not exist prior to 1800.
Films did not exist prior to 1900.
Video games did not exist prior to 1930.
Hip hop did not exist prior to the 1970.

Architecture, sculpture, painting, dance... all had to be invented.

Not only have existing art forms not been exhausted, as we continue to create new inventions, we will continue to create new forms of art.

All of those things did exist before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:

How could something exist prior to the birth of the technology that made it possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
The point is that the development of art is a gradual process. So, any new piece of art is going to be inextricably tied to others that have come before it, while (hopefully) carving out its own identity among its predecessors. To a cynic, it looks like everything has been done before, but you have to take a very narrow view to come to that conclusion. It's the way the inspirations are combined that's interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

How could something exist prior to the birth of the technology that made it possible?

ever seen a beaver use technology to build a dam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

I've never seen one spin a record or take a photograph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:

There is no effective counter-argument as it is not a line of reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
korxonthos wrote:
In many art and literature forums, there are many people who believe that "everything that has been done has already been done, from music to visual art to stories". While I don't think absolute creativity can exist (even if it did, it would be too strange and nobody would really be able to associate with it), I feel like the saying is an incredibly tiring phrase that is used to justify truly terrible, hackneyed works.

Here are some:
1. It's effectively an appeal to ignorance. Suppose you were to suggest a work of art which seemed original to both you and your interlocutor. The natural response would be to say that, just because we didn't know it's predecessor doesn't mean there wasn't one.
2. When was the last new thing in art introduced? I expect the answer to be weak.
3. Smell-o-vision. Decent haptic art. We have some untapped sensory modalities--Disney World plays around with these a little, but only enough to demonstrate that we can really connect in an unfamiliar way with such things; the uses are generally not subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
korxonthos wrote:
Subject: I Need Some Counter-Arguments to a Commonly Held Belief

"Nuh uh."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Altair IV wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Altair IV wrote:

I've never seen one spin a record or take a photograph.

Never seen your reflection or heard birds chirping? No technology needed.

Everything has been done. The only difference is how we remember it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you remember The Flood? Yeah, me neither. Because that's what happens when we're done making stuff up. The gearwork of creation ticks over like that giant Aztec wheel rolling across Humanity's neck, the crunch of bone the clarion call of the Götterdämmeragnarokalypse and BANG we're gone. So who cares if it's just Shakespeare in powered armor?

Never stop making stuff up—even if it's the worst, most trite & hackneyed crap—for there is nothing more dangerous than a bored God.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time will tell if artists or a piece of art will be remembered.
Critics, on the other hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly original creativity is rarer than derived creativity. For being a knock off of something already done it does not necessarily make it less artful. The roman statues we adore were deemed knock offs by the roman of the REAL works of art by the greeks. Nothing changes in that respect and truly creative innovation remains as sought after as ever before. To state everything has already been done is a lazy form of intellectual complacency or condescension that only exists among those with little or no imagination.

Not to mention that you are original quote that everything that has been done has been done already is rather circular. By definition if it was done it has been done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again.

André Gide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
korxonthos wrote:
TrustyJules wrote:
To state everything has already been done is a lazy form of intellectual complacency or condescension that only exists among those with little or no imagination.

I surveyed the art galleries of deviants who made statements of that sort, and you are definitely right: those types of deviants lack creativity. On the other hand, I observed deviants with outstanding, well-rendered imaginative artworks and none of them made such intellectually lazy statements.

TrustyJules wrote:

Not to mention that you are original quote that everything that has been done has been done already is rather circular. By definition if it was done it has been done.

It wasn't really my quote. I heard it form a person in another forum site trying to "encourage" an artist who ran out of ideas. That's why I needed some kind of rebuttal so I can defend myself in case someone else makes that discouraging statement.

You could also spin it the other way. If everything's already been done, then your work is no less original than that of the greatest artists still working. So chill out about the originality, and have fun making what interests you and working on your execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.