Kenrick Fearn
France
Ruffec
Charente
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I just thought I would type a few words about this game but not a blow by blow review per se but I thought It would be best posted under reviews rather than general ...

I was/am a huge fan of the Kosmos two player series of games ...well mainly the earlier ones to be honest ...at their zenith it was a really hotly anticipated release for us ...waiting for the next game to come in the series ...sadly some games were not quite as good as others and some never achieved an English version either ...

However, Pagoda has brought back to me the joy and pleasure of those earlier Kosmos games...

I purchased this game along with The publishers other two simultaneous releases: Istanbul and Port Royal. Pagoda is the only one of the three dedicated to two players. However, both the others scale to two players really well and are both equally as fun as this game but for different reasons ...

Port Royal sits firmly in the short filler category with a nice push your luck element that we both love very much and is a 100% card game. Istanbul is 2-5 players is a pick up and move type game that has the longer play time of the three but mainly due to being more complex game, but still sits in the light to medium category.

Pagoda is a marvellous game that we have played oodles of since it arrived, the game object is to build 3 Pagodas in honour of forth coming emperors visit.

The main driver of this game is playing different coloured face up and hidden cards which match both the wooden supports and floor and roof levels of the Pagodas ...each completed Pagoda floor rewards the builder with a special ability that can be used twice before it needs charging up,again by building another pagoda floor of the same colour...each colour offers a different ability. These abilities are very useful so it's a tough choice as to which to go for first. It's impossible for one person to complete a whole floor in one turn as your only allowed to build a maximum of three supports in one turn. This leads to some tough choices because if you leave it with three supports the next player can just put in the forth piece and rob you of your investment. So some serious jockeying around needs to be done which leads to some great decisions having to be made plus an element of planning and luck ...

The cards are played face up on the table apart from two which are kept secret ...this leads to some interesting bluffing and planning situations as you know what 80% of your opponents cards are but don't know the colours of the hidden two. However, you can see what colour support your oppo can build almost ...and here is the tricky part because do you take the risk of building three supports in one colour ...one that your opponent does not appear to have have showing in their face up cards and hoping that they don't have the colour in their two hidden cards ...bloody marvellous !

It takes around 25-30 mins to play once the rules are learnt, the rule book is well written with good examples, the components are very good. The box is bigger than a two player Kosmos game but not over sized.

This game will deffo stand up to repeated plays, the tension it builds up is quite surprising ...

When the pagoda's are built they look really very good on the board ...the first to build three ends the game ...

A good strong two player game which we anticipate getting many hours of fun from ...

Happy gaming

Ric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree, this felt like it came out of a kosmos box. My wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not much direct competition, but constantly monitoring what the other person is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel N.
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As we seem to have similar taste (I looked at your comments section and couldn't agree more about the likes of Lewis & Clark, Quantum, Urbion, Ghost Stories, Twilight Struggle, etc) I wonder which of the Kosmos 2p line you like most.

I play with my wife as well, and we have Hera & Zeus (which I love) and Pyramiden de Jaguar (which is solid, if a bit dry). Anyway, you mentioned the "zenith" and I thought perhaps you had a few specific titles in mind.

Enjoyed the review, btw.
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. This seems like a perfect game for me and the girlfriend!

If you guys enjoy the Kosmos 2p line, I hope you have tried Targi. Wonderful little game that plays like a bigger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.