Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway I just need to vent. My husband I have a car that has been broken into 5 times now. Break-ins 1-3 (Emeryville) involved someone smashing a window and taken $20 in quarters and break-in 4 (Berkeley) someone took an obscenely old GPS. In these 4 instances, boardgames were in the car and never taken. I would always laugh at that since thieves probably needed quick drug money anyway.

However this morning, a thief actually took the boardgames out of my car. Bah! I just had a game night with some Norwegian friends that I first met at BGGcon years ago. I still cant believe a thief would take my games. In particular I had several games I picked up from Essen 2013 like Skull and Mascarade. Mascarade was a current favorite and I remember getting my copy signed by Bruno Faidutti at Essen last fall. He had the most awesome expression on his face when I took a photo with him afterwards.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did your games turn up at a shop? Arggh! I wish they would have taken quarters and not the games this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
taintedpsychee wrote:

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Did your games turn up at a shop? Arggh! I wish they would have taken quarters and not the games this time.

Ugh that sucks.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on craigslist and local pawn shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, it totally sucks about your board games being stolen...but why the heck do you EVER leave ANYTHING in your car? Especially since you had been broken into before, it's not like you couldn't see this coming!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Look, it totally sucks about your board games being stolen...but why the heck do you EVER leave ANYTHING in your car? Especially since you had been broken into before, it's not like you couldn't see this coming!!!

I know I know. It's just given that addicts will break into cars no matter what around here. There was a d#*chebag who went kicking in every single passenger side mirror and breaking every other driver's side window on an entire row of cars one street over. It just happens in Berkeley.

Since I have been obscenely lucky in the past, I never worried about someone taking my games. I figured that if someone was really looking for items to exchange for drugs they would take $20 in coins from the coin holder only. Why run off with an awkwardly sized boardgame bag? Bah! I just remembered it was my Essen Spiel 2012 bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five break-ins? Why would you want to live there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to California. I lived there for almost 40 years, couldn't stand the crime, high prices and noise. Had a friend of mine get his car broken into, lost hundreds of dollars of Warhammer miniatures that way.

Used to leave one of my cars unlocked, didn't want to bother with replacing the windows, locks or the ragtop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:

Because despite the crime, the San Francisco bay area is still an awesome place to live. What I need to do is just buy a house with a garage. Oh wait, I think I need to have a million dollars first to afford a house here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Who steals boardgames?

Someone who broke into a house and found valuables hidden in a Monopoly box.

Wasn't that an episode of That 70's Show, and it was in the Candyland game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taintedpsychee wrote:
bltzlfsk wrote:

Because despite the crime, the San Francisco bay area is still an awesome place to live. What I need to do is just buy a house with a garage. Oh wait, I think I need to have a million dollars first to afford a house here.

Again, you have made a choice as to where to live. I don't have a garage or a million dollars. A couple of years ago my wife's car door was opened during the night. The would be thief was spooked by something, and left 3 music CDs on the seat instead of taking them. It convinced her to lock the car doors. For the first time in thirty years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Who steals boardgames?

Someone who broke into a house and found valuables hidden in a Monopoly box.

Btw, it's a great place for kids to hide Playboys.

Btw, if you know what a Playboy is you are older than dirt.

So 27 is older than dirt now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sucks to have your car broken into/your stuff stolen, but I think the lesson here is to STOP LEAVING ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR CAR!

At some point, you're going to need to realise that you keep offering them* incentives to keep breaking in to your car(s). Learn the leave the car empty and there's substantially less incentive for an attempt.

* I don't know who the 'them' is. Some nebulous mass of untrustworthy people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hide more valuable stuff in your trunk so thieves won't be as tempted, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the dumpsters in your area. The thieves probably thought there was something easily converted into cash in the bag. When they found boardgames, they probably just tossed them in a nearby bin.
And do stop leaving anything of value in your car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had my side window broken.

They left the (at the time) extremely valuable portable CD player and car mount arm and took the rubber purple armadillo off my dashboard.

Bastards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst part about break ins like that is that the smashed up window costs more to replace than anything they took. Really frustrating.

ETA: I was thinking, and I think you should visit your local pawn shops with descriptions and pictures of the games. Board games like that are pretty distinctive, and I don't think the thief will keep and play them, and probably won't know enough about them to try to sell them at a game shop. Nor would he haul them out of your car just to throw them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I once lived in an area with a lots of smash-and-grab car break ins. After the third time I taped a little message to the front passenger window that said:

NOTHING OF VALUE IN CAR
NOTHING LEFT TO STEAL

Everyone laughed at me, but I never had another break-in afterwards. Replacing the glass was the biggest hassle. That task would suck up most of a day.

bear patrol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
My car was broken into three times in front of my last apartment. They were some weird thieves. They stole the iPod in the dashboard, but not the Kindle it was sitting on. They also stole my brand new suit, tailored for a big fat dude (me).

What they never bothered to take, though, were the copies of (f'rinstance) Napoleon's Triumph or Dune I'd have sitting around the car.

Very sorry you had to deal with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think he's running?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I once lived in an area with a lots of smash-and-grab car break ins. After the third time I taped a little message to the front passenger window that said:

NOTHING OF VALUE IN CAR
NOTHING LEFT TO STEAL

Everyone laughed at me, but I never had another break-in afterwards. Replacing the glass was the biggest hassle. That task would suck up most of a day.

bear patrol
I knew an attorney who kept an old bottom-of-the-line Toyota (no radio, no A/C, basic manual transmission)for his trips to the courthouse in downtown Miami. He would park it unlocked in the cheap lot under the expressway. Never had a problem after that.
Meanwhile, on almost every trip in he'd see a big luxury car (Hey, I'm a big time important lawyer, donchaknow!)with a broken window in the lot near his old beater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

NOTHING OF VALUE IN CAR
NOTHING LEFT TO STEAL

I heard of story of somebody who put a sign on their window, "NO RADIO, ALREADY STOLEN." They came to their car one day with the window smashed; a sign was left inside, "JUST CHECKING."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Southy
United Kingdom
Nuneaton
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

NOTHING OF VALUE IN CAR
NOTHING LEFT TO STEAL

I heard of story of somebody who put a sign on their window, "NO RADIO, ALREADY STOLEN." They came to their car one day with the window smashed; a sign was left inside, "JUST CHECKING."

I lol'ed for real. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought everyone in Berkeley was high and mellow all the time.

I did accuse son #2 of stealing my copy of Biblios for a long time until I found it in my closet. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Berkeley! We stayed there for a couple of weeks and fell in love with it. Too bad my teaching experience can't get me a job there.

I would move there just to eat at Cheeseboard Pizza every day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
This is why i will never understand why people live in the city.
Heh. I love living in cities. I guess there are more important things to me than being able to use my car as a storage locker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
___OO\\ ...::::..:.:.
mb
Luckily, I've never actually had anything stolen from my car, but one easter i lazily decided to stay in toronto...

Someone broke into my car, broke out my ignition switch (the thingie where the key goes) and failed to steal my car. I am so grateful they left the ignition switch on the ground, as i was able to put it back in, and drive to get fixed.

I *have* had someone steal a sweater from a gaming convention one time. It wasn't even a good sweater..or cold...or probably clean..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.