Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is a work in progress thread for the microgame Core Wars that is being designed by me for the MicroGame Print and Play Contest [2014]

Current Status: Untested
Components: 32 Cards + 4 six sided dice

All of the cards and rules can be found here: CoreWars Google Drive

CoreWars is a light card-driven war game for 2-4 players. Each player starts with 6 warriors and a shield card. Players will play up to 4 of these face down every round and then take turns revealing them and destroying one another's armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Minutillo
Australia
Stratton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put up v2. This version streamlines the design quite a bit in order to bring it back down to that microgame level (and to reduce confusion).

Now there are only two crystals in the core of the planet but players may align one or two cards to each. Having only two crystals means we can keep track of which crystal a card is aligned to by having it on the left or the right of a personal Core card instead of just relying on positioning (which can be confusing from across the table).

The blocking has been simplified with cards able to be blocked or not regardless of which frequency the shield is turned to. This should make the decision of whether to block purely a timing issue instead of a mathematical one.

Some of the cards have undergone design changes to either cope with the new rules or to make them less unstoppable!

Absorber -> Shifter. The name change comes from the fact that it becomes whatever it destroys. This reduces it's power a little.
Assassin -> Striker. I changed some of the names to make them all verb-based nouns. The Striker is able to destroy a card tuned to the same crystal. Again reducing the mathy-ness of the game
Shaper remains much the same. Prevented it from being abused with a shield.
Shield & Charger are unchanged.
Guard -> Sniper. The Sniper can destroy a card tuned to a different frequency. This helps to differentiate from the Striker and reduces the mathy nature of the game.
Spy -> Scryer. Still a danged annoying card. I added the "when destroyed" effect to make it even more tempting target and even updated to the rules to trigger these effect when a card is destroying from your hand.

Lastly, I updated the fonts used on the cards. Most of the text is using Signika and the card titles are using Trench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.