United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
From http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/us/churchs-lawsuit-challen...:
NY Times wrote:
In a novel legal attack on a state’s same-sex marriage ban, a liberal Protestant denomination on Monday filed a lawsuit arguing that North Carolina is unconstitutionally restricting religious freedom by barring clergy members from blessing gay and lesbian couples.

This seems like a legitimate vector to challenge the ban. This is the first I've heard of any churches trying this, and I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. If that's the real state of the law I'd say the plaintiffs have the right of it- there's a difference between the state refusing to recognize a certain legal union and forbidding churches from blessing that same union.

Of course, I suspect the main thing it will accomplish is to drive a wedge between the "marriage" granted by the state and the marriage granted by a church. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Aetheros wrote:
I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up before.

You may want to refresh your understanding of the Abrahamic faiths then.

Because they've recently sued a state for its gay marriage ban?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this earlier: A 1st Amendment same sex marriage challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm not sure the NC Values Coalition understands what the lawsuit is about...

NY TImes wrote:
But Tami Fitzgerald, executive director of the North Carolina Values Coalition, which opposes same-sex marriage, derided the legal action as “the lawsuit of the week filed by those who want to impose same-sex marriage on North Carolina.”

“It’s both ironic and sad that an entire religious denomination and its clergy who purport holding to Christian teachings on marriage would look to the courts to justify their errant beliefs,” Ms. Fitzgerald said in a statement. “These individuals are simply revisionists that distort the teaching of Scripture to justify sexual revolution, not marital sanctity.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jmilum wrote:

Searched but didn't find it. If I get any awards for this post, I'll be sure to pass them on to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we can finally stop hearing that Christians oppose gay marriage, ohh wait, no we have heard it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:

Of course, I suspect the main thing it will accomplish is to drive a wedge between the "marriage" granted by the state and the marriage granted by a church. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

From your lips to god's ears. Or I guess, uh, from your fingers to god's eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Aetheros wrote:
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Aetheros wrote:
I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up before.

You may want to refresh your understanding of the Abrahamic faiths then.

Because they've recently sued a state for its gay marriage ban?

Because you appear to be surprised that other denominations haven't.

How does not having heard about other such lawsuits equate with one's understanding of Abrahamic faiths? Current events, sure. Understanding a religion, no. I clearly say this is the first time I've heard of it. It's the predicate for the sentence which followed.

Could you provide some links to other churches who've sued over this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
From http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/29/us/churchs-lawsuit-challen...:
NY Times wrote:
In a novel legal attack on a state’s same-sex marriage ban, a liberal Protestant denomination on Monday filed a lawsuit arguing that North Carolina is unconstitutionally restricting religious freedom by barring clergy members from blessing gay and lesbian couples.

This seems like a legitimate vector to challenge the ban. This is the first I've heard of any churches trying this, and I'm actually surprised it hasn't come up before.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before now...personally I've felt this is the best argument from a legal standpoint and one that is easier to digest for a lot of people.

Do you enjoy your ability to follow your religion? Well, they believe this and want to enjoy that ability as well. There will always be a certain percentage of intolerants who can't see that logic and reasoning, but I think it sufficiently builds on shared values that it could actually persuade someone without pissing them off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great development, it's a win-win either way now*. If they want to honor the religious here then they have to allow gay marriage. If they want to put a stronger separation between church and state then they have absolutely no reason not to allow it, which given the growing support is a situation roughly analogous to "they have to allow it." Hooray, we win!

*Barring the extremely likely possibility that spiteful assholes will find a way to ruin even this clear cut method of settling the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.