Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see people are going wild with the variants, so I have one of my own.

I'm a huge fan of a deck trimming strategy in Dominion, but in deck builders with random cards for sale, it can be hard to do this. Sometimes the few cards that let you trash don't even show up, or they show up way too late to be useful, or worse, your opponent is the only one to get one!

So I am proposing a simple change to help with this in Star Realms. On your turn, if you don't buy any new cards you can instead scrap one from your hand or discard pile.

It seems there are many times where I am not sure if I really want to even buy anything in the trade row, just so I can keep my deck colors coordinated, and it would be an interesting option to not buy anything and trash stuff. Most other deckbuilders focus much more on economy throughout the game, but I feel like in Star Realms, the economy building ends much earlier, so doing something like this variant would be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
I think if you don't play any cards you can scrap 1 card would be more appropriate. Buying cards once you have some good cards is the least important part of your turn and being able to scrap whenever infringes on the red faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
apbevan wrote:
I think if you don't play any cards you can scrap 1 card would be more appropriate. Buying cards once you have some good cards is the least important part of your turn and being able to scrap whenever infringes on the red faction.

Agreed. It would be very easy to get an early power card or two, and then simply stop buying until you thin your deck down to a few big cards. That's the weakness of not splashing red into your deck; your ally effects won't trigger as often.

It would also gives rush decks a big bonus, since one big weakness is the fact that they have to deal with their starting cards for so long. Imagine if a blob deck could phase out its scouts simply by not buying, which wouldn't hurt them much once they're playing a fighter and ram or two every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.