Popular Tags: [View All]
Lemmens Jitse
Belgium
Zoutleeuw
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

After being asked to translate it and realizing this hasn't been done (completely) I took it on myself to translate the cards.
So I suggest that I'll post the untranslated cards in this thread over the course of however long it will take me to translate this hefty text.

I'm sure someone else would be able to do it quicker and more correct but that one hasn't been coming out of the woodwork yet. So I'm gonna try.

Mind you, I'm not German and it isn't even my second language, I didn't study it in school so I can't write for shit. I was however raised with German TV and German vacations so understanding it is no problem (except for the extremely long words) So yeah, I'm Flemish and raised with a lot of German undertone so please be aware that this might not be 100% correct... but the overall will be).

Words between brackets are words I don't know and didn't find on Google translate.

So keep an eye on this thread.
I added the previously translated versions found on the forum and corrected them as stated by some BGG members. They are included for ease with the same "setup" as mine so you can print this without it being a mishmash of styles.

Here they are:

King (1)
(Crown)
(moody)

The greatest gift one can have to be able to endure the world, and yet still retain a certain cheerfulness.
or
The human heart is fickle; today it is here but tomorrow it is elsewhere. At first the lust goes to here, then suddenly is goes to there.

I can swap places with anyone!

PERMANENT: I am the patron of all of you. I alone decide whether I grant a favor or issue a veto marker to refuse a favor.

1 I hand the scepter to the left or right, and so determine the direction of the scepter.

2 Away you! I can demand the place of any one person.

-------

Queen (2)
(Crown)
(Instructive)

Whoever wants to get to know me completely must see my garden, because my garden is my heart.
or
Your choices today will bring on you further weal or woe!

Permanent: The first lady of the court, I can always and at any time insist that already seated persons remain next to me if they are to leave the place / want.

1 I can trade places with a member of the Crown.

2 I can trade places with a member of the nobility.

Favor: High treason! I suspect a person of high treason. This person is immediately placed under arrest and may not leave their place this round. I may suspect each person of treason only once during the entire game.

------

Princess (3)
(Crown)
(Ambitious)

What could be better than to stroll the court and prepare for the next noisy ball?
or
A lively spirit can set its own goals through education! The princess does not always marry her assigned prince.

1 I can sit next to any person to be entertained.

2 I can give a person my trust. This person has the status CROWN until the end of the round. (Actions with the [Crown symbol] have no effect on them.)

Favor: I am so inclined to lustily walk in the garden, with a seated person of my choice (patron / hosts are excluded) . We both leave our seats and will be missing until the end of the round. At the end of the round, when all seated, we come back and I choose both of our seats, depending on which empty seats are available for us. Then, the scoring. Any person may accompany me to the garden only once per game.

------

First Knight (4)
(Crown)
(Eager)

To serve you is the noble goal for every knight.
or
Each may serve, as he is treated. A poorly-kept shield is cracked, a badly maintained sword nicks.

1 I assure myself the support of a person immediately to my left or right side.

2 Watchful. I have an eye on him! Until the end of the round, the host will remain in his or her place, regardless of the actions of other people. The host can, however, leave his or her seat during their own turn.

Favor: If you allow it, let us try a judgment of God. If you wish it, I'll throw one of your veto marker into the air. If the king on the veto marker is visible, my patron re-acquires all of the used veto markers (to use again). If the scepter is visible, my patron must bow to fate and he loses all veto markers in his possession.

--------

Duke (5)
(Nobility)
(Flattering)

To serve the crown means to serve the country.
or
Only the gold of the crown is permanent, not the man under the crown.

I can instruct 2 people to change places with each other.

1 I summon up to 2 people of my faction and seat them to the right and left of me in order to discuss important political issues with them.

2 I sit down on the left or right of a person of my faction to have a confidential conversation.

Favor: I ask the patron to have a conversation next to me with me to submit an urgent matter. The patron decides whether he is sitting on the right or on the left of me.

--------

Duchess (6)
(Nobility)
(Ambitious)

The country has blossomed, a rich harvest is imminent.
or
Weeds are there to be plucked.

I can instruct 2 people to change places with each other.

1 I have an appointment with up to two people of my faction, which now come over to me and are placed right and left of me. We discuss the plan, and, by the way, of course, the latest court gossip.

2 Have you heard? What, are you not in the loop? I sit next to a person of my faction, in order to inform them about the latest developments.

Favor: My patron, are you willing to sacrifice a minute of your valuable time? My concern unfortunately tolerates no delay. Please, hurry and move to the right or to the left of me, just as it pleases you!

-----------

Baron (7)
(Nobility)
(Arrogant)

The fortress that gives us all protection also has the right men to guard the tower.
or
An old fortress doesn't offer us the security it once gave us.

I can select 2 people and switch their places with eachother.

1 Your seat is mine! I switch my place with a the seat of a person of my choice.

2 Can I introduce myself! I select a person of my faction to place him/herself left or right (my choice) from a person of my choosing.

Favor: My liege, please understand! I am indisposed at the moment. Allow me to play my action at a later point. I remain standing behind my seat and give the scepter further.

-----------

Baroness (8)
(Nobility)
(eloquent)

With you I would for an alliance at any point.
or
Good alliances are beneficiary for all involved parties.

I can choose 2 persons and switch places with eachother.

1 I am here to maintain a wide variety of contacts. I'm the salt in the soup. I switch places
with a person of my choice to persue my favourite practice.

2 You should really indulge yourself with the ideas of this person. We could aim towards our
beneficial goal. I choose a person from my faction to place him or herself either left or
right of a person of my choosing.

Favor: I currently am in a discussion. I will certainly stand firm on my point of view but I require a little mor time to achieve this. My host, please allow me to perfom my action at a later point. I remain behind my seat and pass on the scepter.

--------

Count (9)
(Nobility)
(friendly)

Kingly foods and kingly wines, come gift one!
or
With good wine almost any company can become tolerable.

I can select 2 people and have them switch places with eachother.

1 Let us drink from this wine together. You will see that soon enough the wine will taste double as good. I place myself left or right from a lady of my choice.

2 Come a bit closer! My good mood is enough for two. I ask a lady to place herself left or right from me.

Favor: This lady is reknown for her good appetite and she has used her place very well. The culinary highpoint will come into her grasp very soon and deprive other ladies of it's splendor. Let me call upon two ladies of my choice, switch their places with eachother so that all can partake in it.

--------

Countess (10)
(Nobility)
(flattering)

From all the dancers here you are by far the most elegant.
or
The music doesn't always only play for the dancers.

I can choose 2 persons and switch places with eachother.

1 I place myself left or right next to a gentleman to admire his stateliness.

2 I call a gentleman to the left or right (my choice) of me to engage in a stimulating
conversation.

Favor: To enjoy a better view I invite two gentlemen to exchange their seats with eachother as
long as my host allows it.

---------

Waiter (11) - [mundschenk - pours drinks for guests, waiter seemed most appropriate]
(Court)
(moody)

A full table truly is a sight to behold.
or
All these choice dishes can from time to time be heavy on the stomach.

I switch places with a player up to 3 seats left or right from me.

1 I place myself left or right next to a person to give them wine.

2 What bad luck, I spilled wine! Two two people next to me switch places.

Favor: In vino veritas Both people next to me, whether they're standing or sitting, stand and raise the glass to eachother. Afterwards they remain standing and can perform an action, when they receive the scepter. A previously seated person gets a second action.

-------------

Jester (12)
(Court)
(eloquent)

Today we will laugh a lot and laughing is healthy!
or
Except for one all will have something to laugh about today.

I switch places with a person up to 3 seats left or right from me.

1 We make a grand folly! All standing players from a faction of my choice convene in the center, close their eyes and twirl around twice.While I count till three, everyone searches for an empty seat. The player who hasn't found a place at the count of 3 remains standing and receives from me an empty seat.

2 Onto the jolly round dance! All ladies or gentlemen (my choice) convene in the center and twirl around twice. While I count till 3 everyone searches a free seat. The player who hasn't found a place at the count of 3 remains standing and receives from me an empty seat.

Favor: Let me make a fool of two people of the same class. The two chosen players switch their charactercards till the end of the game.

--------

Gamekeeper (13)
(Court)
(eager)

What an illustrious huntingparty has gathered here!
or
Happy hunting ladies and gentlemen!

1 My famous huntingstories seem to bore the ladies? The ladies next to me immediately leave their seat and switch places with a gentleman of their choosing.

2 My brothers in spirit!I place my hand on the shoulder of a gentleman next to me to discuss the huntingmethods. This is a man's conversation! No lady can steal our attention and remove us from our places as long as we're standing near eachother.

Favor: Onto the hunt! The whole group comes to me. Gentlemen take seat to my right, ladies take seat to my left. I decide the order in which they are seated.

--------

Seneschal (Steward) (14)
(Court)
(didactic)

To each thing his own place. Order is the only law!
or
Towards all directions reaches chaos! It often exceeds my strength to stop it!

I can change a place with a person 3 seats left or right from me

1 I call all members of one class into the center. Then I direct each one of them to any free seat.

2 I stand at the side of the hosts (left or right, my choice) to learn about their desires.

Favor: With all due respect! The court requires the following articles of association: I bid everyone of the nobles to take the seats of my chosing next to eachother on the left or right of the host.

--------

Maid (15)
(Court)
(moody)

To experience power on a daily basis is a proud priviledge.
or
Not all the whims of the dominating can be decorated with ornaments.

1 At your service! To serve I place myself at the side (left or right) of a person of the crown or a royal.

2 Sensitive and an open ear at all times. I move myself towards a person and discover if he or she is carrying a special item. (not what!)This person must answer with either yes or no, and give the information openly and honestly.

Favor: I have noticed your wink my host and notify a person of my choice that he or she wants
you at his/her side. This person will then immediately take palce on your left.

-------

Courier (16)
(Civilian/clergy)
(ambitious)

Important messages require the highest degree of trust.
or
Not everything what is written is also always intended as such.

A person chosen by me changes places with a person left or right from me.

1 I'm at your disposal! Every standing person can call me to them. I choose to which person I will direct myself. To this person I bring over his or her chosen action to a sitting player of his or her choice. The client takes place, the receiver stands up. I go back to my place and seat myself.

2 I am at your disposal! Every sitting person can call me to them. I choose to which person I will direct myself. To this person I give my action action. The receiver stands up. I go back to me seat and sit down.

Favor: When you wish, my patron, I will bring over your benevolence to a person of my choice. I bring you your signet ring. If this person acts, (so kann sie sich eurer gunst gewiss sein) they can certainly use their favor. If the favor is granted he or she is granted an extra veto marker.

(the text is very unclear, I know. And since I haven't played this game yet I don't know if it makes any sense. To me it doesn't.)

---------

Bard (17)
(Freethinker)
(friendly)

The purest songs are written about the greatest men.
or
Not everyone is worth enough to have ballads written about.

I can change places with any one person.

1 I play on the dance! All people immediately dance a seat to the left or right (my choice). Attention! Court-seats do not fall under this rule. All, who were seated, sit down again.

2 Cheerful attendees! Change places! All standing people from my faction convene in the center, turn in a round dance, and then go to any free seat of their choice.

Favor: Allow me to play for you my patron. The sweet music from me harp brings you all into the Realm of Heroes and Ballads. Drunk from the enchanting music the scepter is moved around in the opposite direction.

-------

Juggler (18)
(freethinker)
(arrogant)
Only few are chosen to really have an important role in life!
or
Not everyone is given the role that fate has intended for them!

I can change places with a person

1) Juggler of Lords! All gentlemen stand behind their seat and clockwise move a gentleman-place. The gentlemen, who were seated before, sit down again. All ladies will stay in their place.

2) Juggler of ladies! All ladies stand behind their seat and clockwise move a lady-place. The ladies, who were seated before, sit down again. All gentlemen will stay in their place.

Favor: Who else but me can see fortune in the cards. I stand aside a person of my choice to read his or her hand. As long as I stand by this person's side this player cannot be influenced by any particular reason.

-------

Merchant (19)
(Civilian/Clergy)
(eager)

Certain traderoutes bring prosperity to us all.
or
Us merchants are dependent on trade but someone eventually has to pay the toll.

A person selected by me must switch places with a person left or right from me.

1 Members of the crown or royalty eagerly await the treasures I bring to them. Spices and magnificent jewels from foreign countires. I ask a member of the crown or royalty to sit in a seat. This person can decide if he or she takes places in the seat of the person left or right from me.

2 Favorable opportunities are often found to the left or right of the road. I can accept the secondary action of a person left or right from me and play it immediately.

Favor: Pleasantries of all shapes and sizes have their own weight and cannot always be measured with gold. Allow me to use the favor of a person left or right from me for my own purposes.

-------

Merchants wife (20)
(Civilian/Clergy)
(Arrogant)
Brave merchant-ships leave our shores, loaded with grain, wool and choice goods by our craftsmen.
or
An old, rotten ship is hardly able to remain aflot in a storm.

A person chosen by me changes the place with a person left or right from me.

1 Eyes and ears always open in all directions, that is the creed amongst traders! I can accept and immediately use the 1st action of any player left or right to me.

2 I invite a member of the crown or royalty next to me, to show them the most beautiful garments, the newest fashion, to report on the most exotic fruits and spices.

Favor: Connections are more durable when they are used! I can take the favor or a person next to me and make it my own and ask the patron.

-----------

Abbott (21)
(Civilian/Cleric)
(friendly)

The churches you have raised, were also put to the sword!
or
Raising churches, doesn't make you a holy man!

A player selected by me changes his or her place with a person right or left from me.

1 The purity of your souls is most important. Come to me and pray with me. The selected person can decide if he or she changes places with the person right or left from me.

2 In the name of the father the son and the holy spirit. Amen. The Lords blessing be with you. I bless a standing person with my choice. This player instantly gets the scepter, after this I am seated.

Favor: Give me time to save another soul. He who doesn't pray enough will not be allowed into Heaven. I choose a standing person. This person folds his or her hands against their breast. If this person received the scepter, he or she must pass it on once without performing an action. The person remains standing and acts when he or she receives the scepter again.

--------

Abbess (22)
(Civilian/Clergy)
(didactic)

Like Saint Martin shared his cloak, so He shares with the needy of the land.
or
The poor only have pity for those who also have pity for them.

A person chosen by me changes places with the person left or right from me

1 I call a person of choice to confession. The chosen person can deice if he or she switches seats with the person left or right from me.

2 Ora et labora! Prayer and work! Duty requires from everyone of us that we make an effort of that what we can do today and not to put it off until tomorrow! A standing person of my choice immediately receives the scepter, after this I am seated.

Favor: Allow me, my patron, a standing person of my choice to impose a knave. She goes to the cloister and folds the hands to her breast. If this person keeps the scepter, she must pass it once, without performing an action. She remains standing, so she is ready later.

-----------

Sorcerer (23)
(Freethinker)
(eloquent)
Power is like magic, it can change the world!
or
The powerhungry of the crown, the powerful of magic!

I can switch places with a person

1) Teleportus Subjectus! I teleport myself to the place of the ost and thus put him or her on my place.

2) I freeze a person of my choice. This person turns himself facing away. He or she cannot be replaced by anyone nor can anyone take his or her place. If a frozen player receives the scepter the spell will disappear.

Favor: The Wheel of Time! As you wish my patron, I can change the flow of time. A game-round will be prolonged due to this, so that all sitting persons will rise and can act again.

------

Witch (24)
(Freethinker)
(flattering)

You are the centerpoint around which everything turns.
or
Noone has ever escaped their impending fate.

I can switch places with a person.

1 I bewitch a gentleman from another faction with my potion who immediately comes to me and cannot move away from me for the reminder of the round. We share our seat! We continue on together when one of us changes seats. At the beginning of the next round this hex passes and the bewitched person searches for an empty seat on his or her own.

2 I make a lovepotion for a lady of my choice.She must then choose a gentleman who immediately comes to her and share a place with you. You continue on together when one of you changes seats. At the beginning of the next round this lovepotion passes and the bewitched person searches for an empty seat on his or her own.

Favor: Walpurgisnight! If you so deside the scepter is only given to standing ladies, until all ladies sit, only then the gentlemen can act.

-------

White woman/Lady in White (25)
(Freethinker)
(moody)
Some humour never hurt anyone!
or
My lonely nights will soon come to an end!

I can switch places with a person

Permanent: A free mind does not allow to be driven away. I can stay at a place when someone wishes to take my place. We however do not move together. Am I called then I will follow.

1 I spirit to the seat of the Host, (grusele?) greet him a little and remove him from his seat. The host jumps up and fearfully hurries to the front to a free seat of his or her choosing.

2 My howling laments leads to this, that both players left and right from me immediately move, filled with grief, away from me. The freed seats next to me remain open.
The (Begruselten?) greeted-ones share their new seat with available people, until the beginning of the next round. At the start of the next round they will sit themselves down in a free seat. (Players with the lowest card-number always have first choice).

--------

Contessa (X)
(???)
(???)

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "Comtessa" should be Contessa, or Countess in english.
In the "white woman" (I think this should rather be "The Lady in White") you wrote "grusele". if it's Gruselte it means shudder, which makes sense with the rest of the sentence.

thanks so much for the translation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lemmens Jitse
Belgium
Zoutleeuw
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

Contessa was a typo yeah thx for that.

As for the White Woman:
I also translated it first as Woman in White or Lady in White but I don't know why I choose the White woman. The White Woman/Lady however is also a mythical ghostly creature and in the picture she kinda looks like a ghost.
Which would also make sense in the shudder thing... I think.

Time will tell what the new version will have, I've left it open for interpretation.

Greets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alenros
Israel
Tel-Kazir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think she IS a ghost, and the whole white thing is a hint.

oh, I also thought about a 3 player variant for the game:
each player takes a faction(king&queen, roses, unicorn) and the cards are layed down as if around a banquet table. when it is a characters' turn to act the player controlling that character takes that characters' action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.