J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Offical word from the Kickstarter here.

Sounds like it was an unavoidable situation for Mercs this time around, and they are probably as fed up as anyone with the delays at this point. Though I won't presume to understand the feelings of an International backer. I don't think there is any reason to start flaming around here over it, but I expect there will be some of that.

That said, I just feel really bad for our International friends. Not only were they waiting for their shipments while the retail market has been trying out thier investment for the last several weeks, but now it looks like the ever increasing date of June 2014 is out the window as well.

I wish there is more we could do for them. Seems like a lose/lose situation for all involved.

Here's to hoping that the Internation backers recieve their rewards and can get some play time in before Mercs starts thier second Myth Kickstarter (and those that actually enjoy the game are not so turned off by the fulfilment woes that they don't consider backing again). :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a shame, but I still think there's more of us international backers than not who're happier with $13 shipping with customs charges avoided than having something like direct shipping that would come with a customs charge slap attached.

They hint in the update at getting the majority of stuff sent out to international and working out the rest later - hopefully that's something that can happen, and who knows, if they do it soon maybe we'll have most of the stretch goal stuff before you Americans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Endevor Rovedne
France
le pré saint gervais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I undestood the same with 2 wave shipping for eu but we were wrong i think. They will send what they have for eu backer now to germany, send from china what is missing (when ? they don't say) then wait until everything has arrived in germany, and send someone to help prepare individual packaging in germany. So 1 shipment only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're lucky, we might start getting stuff in Jan 2015. Round about the time Recon is supposed to be shipping

Delays happen. It sucks. I'm not happy about it, but this is one of the risks with backing a kickstarter.

As for the second kickstarter: They would be very foolish to run it before everyone gets their pledges. Not that I would back anything they make again anyway, but even so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame that is for sure. A potentially unscheduled container can take months to organise and ship.

I can suck up the delay as long as they keep us regularly informed. It is worse when projects just go silent for months.

I suppose that at least they are learning lessons - I wouldn't expect the same issues with Recon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Yeah it's a shame, but I still think there's more of us international backers than not who're happier with $13 shipping with customs charges avoided than having something like direct shipping that would come with a customs charge slap attached.
Put me firmly in the "not happier" camp.

I'm still going to have to pay customs charges (afaik, Canadian shipments are still getting sent from the USA). I knew this going in.

Personally, I would much rather have paid the extra shipping costs for two waves like American backers, but we were never given that choice. I would have saved a lot of money on customs/brokerage that way, and wouldn't be stuck STILL waiting for the game while it's been available to buy in-store for weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

I'm still going to have to pay customs charges (afaik, Canadian shipments are still getting sent from the USA). I knew this going in.

Personally, I would much rather have paid the extra shipping costs for two waves like American backers, but we were never given that choice. I would have saved a lot of money on customs/brokerage that way, and wouldn't be stuck STILL waiting for the game while it's been available to buy in-store for weeks.

;( It does suck, I was thinking in EU terms, apologies for being insensitive to the other internationals who get things even worse =S

Not quite sure why 2 waves would save you money on customs/brokerage, as surely you'd be paying twice, but I don't know how things go concerning shipping to Canada ^^. Seems strange they can't just do something like the EU-Fulfillment, unless there's simply not enough Canadian backers.

I'll just hope that mistakes made here provide the experience needed to make Recon and the Myth Expansion go smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had to pay customs on anything coming into Canada before. I guess it just depends how much they declare. They are using USPS at least, so there won't be any brokerage fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacq L
New Zealand
flag msg tools
What are YOU lookin at?
badge
poof
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for being grumpy and speaking a little selfishly. It still sucks for everyone that has no game.
Smoothsmith wrote:
Not quite sure why 2 waves would save you money on customs/brokerage, as surely you'd be paying twice, but I don't know how things go concerning shipping to Canada ^^. Seems strange they can't just do something like the EU-Fulfillment, unless there's simply not enough Canadian backers.

It's partially because import/taxation/brokerage rates change based on the value AND the number of items in a shipment. You're generally charged extra per item after a certain number of items/"lines" (usually 10). UPS charges $4.50 per line, for example, so it's better to get two shipments of 15 lines than one shipment of 30 lines.
There are also a lot of exemptions and trade agreements that usually mean you get a break on fees if the value is below a certain amount, but I'm not 100% sure of them and other fees vary by the delivery service used (and I don't know which MGC is using - fingers crossed for USPS though).

And, to be honest, if I had received Wave 1 I might have been able to sell that to someone local for a much higher return than I will now. Though I'm not sure I was firmly in the "sell" camp yet when Wave 1 shipped, so it's a bit moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacqland wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

No custom charges, they're shipping to Canada with USPS. I read that from MERCS in the last update comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Jacqland wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

No custom charges, they're shipping to Canada with USPS. I read that from MERCS in the last update comments.
USPS doesn't charge brokerage fees like UPS does. Customs, however, are entirely out of everyone's control and are pretty much whatever Canada Customs feels like charging. I know for the Zombicide Season 2 shipment I was charged nothing but there were some people in Eastern Canada that were charged $50+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyrin wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:
Jacqland wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:

USPS doesn't charge brokerage fees like UPS does. Customs, however, are entirely out of everyone's control and are pretty much whatever Canada Customs feels like charging. I know for the Zombicide Season 2 shipment I was charged nothing but there were some people in Eastern Canada that were charged $50+.

Yeah, it's so nice how random those fees are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Skotniczny
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Inspection whistle

Anyways, I too am in the same boat, unhappy with this entire situation. They should have given us the option to do two shipments rather than 1. Zombicide did this, I see no reason another company can't. It's also an insult to injury when I can walk into every store and online Canadian store and pick it up no problem yet am still here possibly waiting till next January for this game which by then I probably won't even care for since as the months keep ticking by I forget more and more about the game and care less and less...

I even sold my Descent last month expecting this baby soon... what a fool I was
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An optional second shipment would be logistically painful. Maybe look into one of those forwarding address companies, which provide you a US address, then forward to your international one? I understand there are still issues with this, but hopefully you can find an option.

Anyway, KS still sucks for internationals. I don't know how you ROW's do it. The KS trend towards a second wave is *much* better than last year's "Pay $35 extra and go to the back of the line then pay fees based on shipping fees", but I hope you guys find some good domestic KS to support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordCyler wrote:
That said, I just feel really bad for our International friends. Not only were they waiting for their shipments while the retail market has been trying out thier investment for the last several weeks, but now it looks like the ever increasing date of June 2014 is out the window as well.

For me the waiting isn't the problem, per say. I have other games and things to do in the meantime. What annoys me is knowing that retail stores are selling copies of MYTH when, in theory at least, as backers we should have all had our copies first or at least the same time.

I had the same experience with Dark Darker Darkest. Queen Games ran into delays and then I saw copies of DDD selling online before I had received my copy... and at a $30 discount. Of course I have DDD now, along with all my 1st wave extras (still waiting for the 2nd wave, which was delayed... again). However I do know there were other DDD backer who were less fortunate.

So yeah. I'm disappointed, but not upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
According to update #88, if your pledge is not fulfilled by the end of June, they guarantee a refund.

Quote:
But we also understand Kickstarter and right now you might be saying to yourself, “Here we go again…another infinitely delayed KS.” We want to reassure all backers with a guarantee. We are so confident you’ll have your game and stretch goals within five months of the original date that we will give a refund to anyone who requests their money back if we fail to deliver your pledge before June 31st, 2014.

Curious if anyone will be taking them up on that. Or if anyone reads into it as they will refund the pledge but still fulfill (e.g., your pizza in 30 minutes or its free).

EDIT to clarify: I am keeping my copy, and waiting patiently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
I doubt they intended to let you keep the pledge and refund your money.

Though I wonder if this applies to US backers. We received wave 1 but can we still get a refund if wave 2 is not delivered by June 31?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:
So yeah. I'm disappointed, but not upset.

I'm upset. laugh

One of the reasons why I don't back non-miniature boardgames is the risk that the game will show up retail before I get my copy. Japanime did exactly that (and even gave my promos to retailers because they screwed up), so no more money from me to them. Also, OLGS give a 30% discount, so it's hard for a boardgame to offer more extras to justify backing them. Most miniature games, however, give you so much stuff for the difference between the KS pledge and the OLGS, that it's worth the wait while the retailers have the game in stores. Internationals still get the short end of the crowdfunding stick, so I'm not sure what I'd do if I were in their situation. (I usually don't back international KS because of shipping costs.)

What else... Myth offered a retailer pledge, so it's possible that the retailer backed the project -- and not necessarily at the retail level. If I were a retailer, I'd pick up two copies through the KS, and one from the distributor, so I could have two games on the shelf, and sell the extras on eBay.

As for refunds, that's all marketing and mirrors if the product is ready to ship. I think MGC is just fine paying you back their interest-free loan and their selling the game and other loot at an actual profit...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

As for refunds, that's all marketing and mirrors if the product is ready to ship. I think MGC is just fine paying you back their interest-free loan and their selling the game and other loot at an actual profit...!

A very good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, retailers having copies in stock while a good portion of the backers don't have anything (or I should say before it's even shipped to them) is not good.
We all understand why they can't really ship Intl games in two shipments, and why they'd want to offer the game as soon as possible through retail, but to me that's not showing appreciation to the backers.

I'm not mad at them, but disappointed. And I'm not even facing the real problem because I already have the first shipment... so I can only imagine how the others feel, especially those who have been following the KS and post-KS very closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.