United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost feel as though the game would be stronger if Global abilities were not available to your opponent. At least on just the character cards. Some character's global abilities are a detriment to themselves. So much so that it's not worth using the card. It would almost make more sense if they were only available to the owner.

Not sure, haven't thought it through entirely, but worth a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes it interesting that both sides can access them. Putting down a strong global ability may blow up in your face, so you have to be careful strategically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chalupa Batman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I agree to an extent. The main one I have an issue with are the Magnetos that global re-roll villain die. I'd really like to build a control team with him, common Dr Doom, & Loki Gem Keeper as a sort of lock down villain team, but Magneto's global is a huge double edged sword & I'd prefer him to just not have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Glen on this one. Why am I bringing a global ability to the party that may help an opponent beat me when I can just bring a regular character who I know for certain an opponent won't use to turn the tables on me? Mr. Fantastic "Brilliant" Scientist is a great example. He's a character that excels at blocking, so of course his global ability can be used to force him to attack...right into a deadly group block. Some scientist. The global makes an OK card almost useless, though, to be fair, Beast kind of has the blocking market cornered anyway.

Perhaps the way to look at globals is that the global is the entire card, and taking one die in order to include the global in your game plan is the price you pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like globals are there to keep things in balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I almost feel as though the game would be stronger if Global abilities were not available to your opponent. At least on just the character cards. Some character's global abilities are a detriment to themselves. So much so that it's not worth using the card. It would almost make more sense if they were only available to the owner.

I TOTALLY agree with this. Why am I bringing cards to the table that let my opponent screw with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then don't use characters with global abilities, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:

Then they wouldn't be called Global Abilities.. I guess they could be called local abilities.

I must confess, the logic behind them eludes me. Maybe they are being used as a balancing mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also not a fan of bringing an ability that may help my opponent more than me.

Plus thematically it does not always make sense. The ability implies that hero is doing the ability; like Iron Man protecting his team for example. So how does it make sense for my opponent to also be gaining a protection bonus?

I have not gotten a chance to play yet as my games are on a FedEx truck. But when I explained global abilities to my gamer friends they did not like the concept.

So after a few plays we may try a house rule variant that only the player with the card gets the bonus. For all we know staying global is essential for game balance.

Perhaps in expansions they will have localized abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:
Then don't use characters with global abilities, obviously.

Well, clearly. It doesn't make the mechanic suck any less. I'll go ahead and predict that characters with effective globals will see zero play in competitive environments.

At first we played globals as only being available to the owner, and it was awesome. We realized our mistake, but now the game seems slightly worse.

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chalupa Batman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
ferris1971 wrote:

Well, clearly. It doesn't make the mechanic suck any less. I'll go ahead and predict that characters with effective globals will see zero play in competitive environments.

I disagree with that. Jean Grey & Mr Fantastic seem great on aggressive teams. They can be used as 1 of's since their dice are irrelevant, but forcing your opponents Beasts to swing through seems important for an aggro player. Magneto may also be a decent 1 of if a good Loki or Dr Doom team crop up and you need ways to disrupt them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinci33 wrote:
ferris1971 wrote:

I disagree with that. Jean Grey & Mr Fantastic seem great on aggressive teams. They can be used as 1 of's since their dice are irrelevant, but forcing your opponents Beasts to swing through seems important for an aggro player. Magneto may also be a decent 1 of if a good Loki or Dr Doom team crop up and you need ways to disrupt them.

I think you've hit on it. Global abilities are, in many cases, there for the ability, not the hero or his dice. Beast is making a huge impact in our metagame (I'd go so far as to say he's one of the best characters), and a global answer is one way to combat him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I am also not a fan of bringing an ability that may help my opponent more than me.

Plus thematically it does not always make sense. The ability implies that hero is doing the ability; like Iron Man protecting his team for example. So how does it make sense for my opponent to also be gaining a protection bonus?

I have not gotten a chance to play yet as my games are on a FedEx truck. But when I explained global abilities to my gamer friends they did not like the concept.

So after a few plays we may try a house rule variant that only the player with the card gets the bonus. For all we know staying global is essential for game balance.

Perhaps in expansions they will have localized abilities?

If the ability helps your opponent more than it helps you, you've probably poorly built your team strategy.

For basic actions, for example, I always take Distract because my team relies on dealing passive damage, and not attacking. As such I will always gain more than I lose for having brought it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually made a deck revolving around global abilities. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, maybe tonight though. One key card I've included is the Professor X that disables actions and globals for your opponent unless they pay life. I'm curious to see if it will actually work as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Hundahl
Denmark
Aalborg
Nordjyllands Amt
flag msg tools
I have gotten my set of Dice Masters yet. But I know I will not like this rule and are probably gonna house rule it from the start.

But I need to know first or else I dont think it will work. Do all globals need energy? And is that energy equal to the energy rolled on the die? Because if it is, I was thinking about this:

- Globals can only be used with the energy you roll with the die that comes with the card. But both players can use it if they have the right type of die/character.

It's adds and new layer to deckbuilding also. Because you have to take into account what globals your opponent might play with and maybe make compromises to your own deck to get the ability to play your opponents global.

As I said. I have not played the game yet, so dont know if it is even possible to play like this. But if it is, I think it might be a good compromise between all can use globals and you are the only one that can use your own globals (not a fan of that option either because its not the way the gamedesigners are gonna balance the cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally never a good idea to houserule something before actually playing the game.

To answer your question, yes all globals require a specific type of energy.

So in order for your opponent to use your Mr Fantastic global for example, he will need to save a mask energy from his turn into yours. In a way that is a win for you. Not only did he not buy or field anything with that energy on his turn, he's going to use it on something that may only incidentally help him. With the MF example again, if he used the global on your level 1 die, he'd have to have 5 points of damage to KO yours. He'd probably survive it since MF would only have 1 attack, but your MF would go to your prep area, possibly helping you on your next turn.

There's only a couple of globals that I feel are directly counter to your game plan. Magneto being a big one. But the way I look at it, is if he's wasting energy on a 50% chance to reroll energy on my Villain, that's a huge win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Baur
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only problem with having access to sharing global abilities is remembering (and reading) your opponent's when their cards are on the other side of the table. I suppose this could be solved by getting more creative with the game setup though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Hundahl
Denmark
Aalborg
Nordjyllands Amt
flag msg tools
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
So in order for your opponent to use your Mr Fantastic global for example, he will need to save a mask energy from his turn into yours. In a way that is a win for you. Not only did he not buy or field anything with that energy on his turn, he's going to use it on something that may only incidentally help him. With the MF example again, if he used the global on your level 1 die, he'd have to have 5 points of damage to KO yours. He'd probably survive it since MF would only have 1 attack, but your MF would go to your prep area, possibly helping you on your next turn.

It is the same for both players. But I can see what you are saying. Saving a character die to "maybe" use a global might be too high a cost for both players.

As I am located in the EU, I have to wait a bit longer to play, hopefully may 5th. So when I play, I am gonna try and see what works best for my playgroup. I just wanted to share an idea I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well fortunately you don't have to field these characters. I think it brings a great strategy in fielding some of these guys and in a way hoping your opponent happens to have more characters that don't have the particular required global abilities energy cost for dice available so maybe they won't be able to take advantage to it. That's why I don't mind so much, plus they'd have to still have said energy available to them at the time it most benefits them.

As previously mentioned you will see they have energy available to them. Sort of like in MtG when they pass the turn to you with piles of mana untapped you obviously expect them to have something in their hand to ruin your day, or some ability you can see they have available to them out in play already. Playing will only tell if these abilities are broken/dumb and/or useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obviously example stated above is trying to do a villain deck with Magneto in it. They will just use Magnetos power and mess up your villians!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
The obviously example stated above is trying to do a villain deck with Magneto in it. They will just use Magnetos power and mess up your villians!

1/3 of the time they will change the level of your villain, could be for the better or for the worse.

1/2 of the time they will change your villain into energy. In which case, you roll him again on your next turn.

Either way, it's A) not guaranteed, and B) is preventing him from playing his game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baz Hemmons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sethly wrote:
My only problem with having access to sharing global abilities is remembering (and reading) your opponent's when their cards are on the other side of the table. I suppose this could be solved by getting more creative with the game setup though.

I was gonna comment this exact thing. If I ever end up playing in a tournament situation I feel like I would like to have copies of any of my opponents characters with globals laid out next to my play area so I can remember that I have those abilities available to me. (that's my excuse for trying to get a full set and I'm sticking to it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Butche
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
StormbringerGT wrote:

1/3 of the time they will change the level of your villain, could be for the better or for the worse.

1/2 of the time they will change your villain into energy. In which case, you roll him again on your next turn.

Either way, it's A) not guaranteed, and B) is preventing him from playing his game.

The second part of this isn't right; Unspent energy die are sent to the player's Used Pile at the beginning of their turn. You'd only get to instantly reroll that die if you had an empty bag at that point ant were fortunate enough to draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're right. I thought they would be knocked out. I guess that's why the various Storms specify where the energy die goes if it's rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sent back 20 years...yeah, Wrath of God, Armageddon, and Balance SUCK! MY creatures die too? I lose MY lands??!? Why would I want to play something that affects both me and my opponent equally???

Symmetry exists to be exploited and broken and made grossly asymmetric...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.