Subject: Power or thematic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if more people were going to play for sheer power, or more thematically. I play Heroclix and really enjoy playing a thematic team in that game. I'm thinking in this ill probably feel the same way, especially with characters like War Machine Combat Comrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ganon Dad
United States
flag msg tools
Chalos13 wrote:
Was wondering if more people were going to play for sheer power, or more thematically. I play Heroclix and really enjoy playing a thematic team in that game. I'm thinking in this ill probably feel the same way, especially with characters like War Machine Combat Comrade.

I've played games at a competitive level for years and I don't think I'd be capable at this point of using a team that isn't one of the very best possible teams in the environment. I don't necessarily care for Black Widow thematically, but there's a good chance she'll end up in my deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the cool things with this game is both power and theme kinda play off each other. Each hero is really powerful so it boils down to if you like them then they are amazing anyway. I love Nova and it just so happens to be, that dude is a beast (not the beast). And I love Venom and he is crazy just as well. This game feels like a clash of the titans because each cards power runs as a 110%. Im currently running a 8 squad of commons and im demolishing any "rare" group I'm coming across. The balance for competitive is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been able to build many "thematic" teams, but I enjoy trying to come up with a brief explanation for what these characters are doing or why they are working together.

My friends and I play be a house rule, "Whoever has the most villains goes first", purely for thematic reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to go for theme. Once I get the game, I will try to create as many different teams thematically as possible. Because I know none of my gaming friends will have this game, and in order to get them to play, I will have them choose a thematic team, instead of us sitting there trying to create a team on the spot. If it catches on with my gaming group to a continously-playing level, then they will go get their own game, and we will battle our most powerful team against each other. But unless it gets to that level, we will play it at the friendly level and just try out different teams and see how they perform against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a solid theme player. I have certain characters that I have 0 interest in playing theme wise that I do not care how good their abilities are.

I will most likely play heavily Xmen themed teams.

Now as a disclaimer I will not adhere to this philosophy if I find myself never winning. If I have to break up the team theme a bit to pull out a victory I'd do so.

After all there have been so many marvel combo match ups in the comic that it will be hard to make a team roster that did not occur at one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel this way as well, I'll be building Fantastic Four or all villains teams, but if I start getting stomped I'll have to re-think my strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At home I will most likely play for theme. At the game shop organized play I may try a less thematic approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all about theme, but with only one set so far, theme will be probably be a bit weak. The good part is that with roughly 60 years of comics to pick from, almost every combo has been done at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither of the above. I'm interested in draft and semi-randomized games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say a mix of both. I'm building teams based on the themes presented in their text boxes, not based on who should team up with who. So maybe theme would be the wrong word there? Maybe I'm a power builder with heavy emphasis on synergy, not just an amalgam of the rarest cards.

I don't believe I would have anywhere local to play competitively, so it's strictly for casual play anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Shofner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I will most likely run power only in competitive play.
However, I will be playing a lot of casuals and have my favorite characters in there because why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, a lot of the thematic teams actually synergize well together; not always, but in many cases that I've seen. I don't disparage anyone that does it at all, but for me min/maxing and playing the straight numbers game is just no fun. You could also have the best team build EVAR and still get royally screwed by poor die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.