Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great play of this on Sunday night, after not having played for months. It reminded me why I had wanted to put it on my 10x10 Challenge list. This was a 4-player game, with my husband and 2 friends who hadn't played before.

With this particular game, I decided to go with a Go Big or Go Home strategy. I went straight for fulfillment of The Warrior, for 8 points, rather than someone easier to please, like the bar maid, who, though she can stack when there are more than one, is only going to give me 3 upfront. I don't always follow this strategy, but this is how I decided to play it. It went well, though I admit my aggressive strategy made me feel vulnerable, because I decided to try going without a vault at first.

I did end up building one later, when someone fulfilled the Rune Singer, who gives everyone double resources for a turn. Next, I went for the Defender (11 points), which was timely, since even my new vault didn't protect me when someone rolled enough burglars to steal an Artifact from me right after I built the thing. At least I had the Warrior, if briefly, to help me re-roll the occasional Orc, until someone's Rogue took him out.

The double resources from the Rune Singer helped me finish a Deep-Delver (only 7, but the biggest I had at the time). I was halfway to finishing an Alchemist, whose 5 points would have gotten me to 31, and thus the victory, when one of our friends, who is a quiet man by nature, and has a tendency to swoop in with victories when the rest of us have been focused on blocking each other, did just that, and ended the game. Look how innocent he looks!

We definitely converted 2 new fans to the game, and also know what to get Mr. Innocent for his birthday. It will be either this game, or a bloody folding game table so we don't always have to sit on the floor in the playroom when we play after their kids are asleep! (Too noisy then to play in the dining room.) My legs kept falling asleep!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.